Robert11

Default Duct For A Gas Dryer ?

Hello:

Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct
from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.

Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this purpose
that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that carefully to see if
there were others.

A plumber who is also a gas fitter was in the house the other day for
something
else, and said that this was not a good item to use. Too thin, etc.

But, he had no real suggestion as to brand; he like rigid metal ductwork for
the purpose.

What's the "best" and safest type of duct that I should buy ?
Is it available at HD ?

Thanks,
Bob

m Ransley

If it is corrugated not smooth it will trap lint, the plumber is
probably right

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct
from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.

Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this purpose
that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that carefully to see
if there were others.

Do you mean the flexible kind? If so, a rigid aluminum duct is better. Any
home supply house should have it.

Appliance Repair Aid

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct
from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.

Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this purpose
that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that carefully to

see if
there were others.

A plumber who is also a gas fitter was in the house the other day for

something
else, and said that this was not a good item to use. Too thin, etc.

But, he had no real suggestion as to brand; he like rigid metal

ductwork for
the purpose.

What's the "best" and safest type of duct that I should buy ?
Is it available at HD ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi,

Solid metal is best. This should be available at most ( all? ) home
improvement stores....comes in straight sections and seperate elbows.

http://www.applianceaid.com/vent-length.html
Some venting tips.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Jerry Schwartz

I used the metal foil, because there's no access behind the dryer and I had
no choice; and it was an absolute PITA. I think I tore the first one and had
to start over.

Since then, I think I've seen sturdier stuff. I've also seen some that is
partly rigid and partly flexible.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

Hello:

Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct
from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.

Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this purpose
that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that carefully to see
if there were others.

Do you mean the flexible kind? If so, a rigid aluminum duct is better. Any
home supply house should have it.

That's what I thought also. I recently put down
new vinyl under my dryer and washer and decide to
use rigid aluminum duct to replace the old
corrugated vinyl tubing.

Surprise, neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had solid
aluminum duct for dryers. They did have the
corrugated aluminum (flexible)duct. They also had
an aluminum elbow so I bought that and use an old
(but never used) piece of corrugated vinyl tubing
to connect the elbow to the outside vent. Would
have been much easier to use a solid aluminum duct
since I only needed a 12" piece.
Joseph Meehan

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

Hello:

Bought a metal foil duct roll at Home Depot to replace the duct
from a 30 year old gas clothes dryer installation.

Seemed to be the standard type of AL foil metal duct for this
purpose that Home Depot sells, but frankly didn't look all that
carefully to see if there were others.

Do you mean the flexible kind? If so, a rigid aluminum duct is
better. Any home supply house should have it.

That's what I thought also. I recently put down
new vinyl under my dryer and washer and decide to
use rigid aluminum duct to replace the old
corrugated vinyl tubing.

Surprise, neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had solid
aluminum duct for dryers.

Don't look for it as a dryer accessory, go the the heating department.
You will find it there.

They did have the
corrugated aluminum (flexible)duct. They also had
an aluminum elbow so I bought that and use an old
(but never used) piece of corrugated vinyl tubing
to connect the elbow to the outside vent. Would
have been much easier to use a solid aluminum duct
since I only needed a 12" piece.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Scot Lilly

Honestly the heat from a gas dryer and from an electric aren't that far off.
Where you are really looking at potential problems comes when you get build
up in the ducts. If they were to catch fire, the fire would probably burn
up the thin stuff and not the rigid metal. I say keep the flimsy stuff, but
check you ducts to make sure they are clean and the air can freely move out.
As long as you keep them clean and clean out the flint catch in the dryer
unit every time you use it, your fine.

Scot Lilly

www.pratamortgage.com