patga

Default Removing Wallpaper

I have a very large kitchen and would like to get rid of the wallpaper and
have it painted instead. I have two layers of wallpaper and have been told
the top one will be easy to remove but that the builder put up the first
wallpaper on walls that weren't primed. I have had contractors who will do
it but tell me it will be a big job and may not look as good as I want it
to. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

How did someone know the walls had not been primed by the builder? I
have removed wallpaper before and never found any unprimed wallboard.
Both houses I've owned had wallpaper put up by builder and there was no
problem. Just wondering?

patga

We pulled up some of the second layers of wallpaper which came up easily.
However, when we tried to pull up the first layer, it was extremely
difficult. I understand it was common for builders in this area, Atlanta,
not to prime walls before putting up the wallpaper. (It was cheaper).

wrote in message
oups.com...
How did someone know the walls had not been primed by the builder? I
have removed wallpaper before and never found any unprimed wallboard.
Both houses I've owned had wallpaper put up by builder and there was no
problem. Just wondering?

I used to live in east Cobb - and my house (built 1962) had wallpaper
and the walls were primed. Anyway, on heavy wallpaper it is common
for the heavy outer layer to come off easily leaving a thin paper
coating underneath. You need a paper "tiger" - something you roll over
the paper and it puts fine holes in it. Then you spray it with water,
let the water seep in, and scrape it off. Do it in small sections.
You can rent a steamer - think Home Depot rents them out - if it's a
really big job. You scrape it with wide putty knives being careful not
to gouge the wallboard if you can help it. It is not too hard to do on
most walls. Just takes patience. They sell stuff you can spray on but
vinegar (white) and water has always done the job for me. If your
house is really old, the walls may not be primed but if it was built
after the 60s, think they were.

Harry K

patga wrote:
I have a very large kitchen and would like to get rid of the wallpaper and
have it painted instead. I have two layers of wallpaper and have been told
the top one will be easy to remove but that the builder put up the first
wallpaper on walls that weren't primed. I have had contractors who will do
it but tell me it will be a big job and may not look as good as I want it
to. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Test a small spot to see what happens? I know, then how to fix it if
there is a problem. Answer, pull out the refrigerator and check it
behind there. Problem? Shove the refer back in and forget it.

Harry K

patga

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I think most of us come to this
forum with good intentions, unlike the idiot who told me to scratch it off
with my toenails. I'm going to give it a try and will post my results

oups.com...