Charlie S.

Default grass is always greener...

Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with these
hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it barren.
So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home Depot to
re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot more
attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother with.
Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

badgolferman

Charlie S., 8/18/2005, 2:51:52 PM, cN4Ne.4291$_D4.3434@trndny05 wrote:

Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there
over a month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he
tried to lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type
work I've been doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless
areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy
with these hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I
just leave it barren. So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky
Bluegrass from Home Depot to re-seed these areas. Worried that this
good seed will need a lot more attention like watering, and
fertilizer than I really want to bother with. Anyone recommend a
hardier, less attention needing seed?

Bermuda grass.

--
"Golf and sex are the only things you can enjoy without being good at
them." -- Jimmy DeMaret
John Grabowski

My parents had Zoysia grass in our backyard at the house I grew up in.
Extremely low maintenance and very durable which is why they bought it. We
always had activities of some sort going on and it never wore out to dirt
like a normal lawn. The downside was that it always turned to a light straw
color in the winter.

Click here for info: http://www.zoysiagrass.com/

"Charlie S." wrote in message
Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with

these
hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it

barren.
So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home Depot to
re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot more
attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother with.
Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

Jeff Wisnia

John Grabowski wrote:

My parents had Zoysia grass in our backyard at the house I grew up in.
Extremely low maintenance and very durable which is why they bought it. We
always had activities of some sort going on and it never wore out to dirt
like a normal lawn. The downside was that it always turned to a light straw
color in the winter.

Click here for info: http://www.zoysiagrass.com/

Are there still some places where you can hire someone to spray green
dye on the Zoysia grass for the winter? (Serious question.)

Jeff

"Charlie S." wrote in message

Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with

these

hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it

barren.

So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home Depot to
re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot more
attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother with.
Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

John Grabowski

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
John Grabowski wrote:

My parents had Zoysia grass in our backyard at the house I grew up in.
Extremely low maintenance and very durable which is why they bought it.

We
always had activities of some sort going on and it never wore out to

dirt
like a normal lawn. The downside was that it always turned to a light

straw
color in the winter.

Click here for info: http://www.zoysiagrass.com/

Are there still some places where you can hire someone to spray green
dye on the Zoysia grass for the winter? (Serious question.)

Jeff

I sometimes wondered if that could be done. I had no idea that you could
hire someone.

"Charlie S." wrote in message

[...]

Where you are and whether its full sun or shade are big factors in what
type of grass you want to plant. Since you bought bluegrass, I'll
assume you're in area with moderate to cold winters. Blue grass is one
of the higher maintenance grasses and is suited to a sunny location.
It requires more fertilizer and water to keep it looking good. If
you're just going to reseed one area, I'd get one of the general
purpose mixes that includes several varieties of grass.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Charlie S. wrote:
Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with these
hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it barren.
So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home Depot to
re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot more
attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother with.
Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

I can say it does make a difference. The grass in the front of my house
is pretty nice and green, but the back is pathetic. I water 3-4 times a
week and fertilize 4-5 times a year.

Fertilizer always makes it greed up for 2 weeks, then it fades down
again...You may consider laying grass sod as opposed to seed, as sod is
pretty darn cheap.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Charlie S.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where you are and whether its full sun or shade are big factors in what
type of grass you want to plant. Since you bought bluegrass, I'll
assume you're in area with moderate to cold winters. Blue grass is one
of the higher maintenance grasses and is suited to a sunny location.
It requires more fertilizer and water to keep it looking good. If
you're just going to reseed one area, I'd get one of the general
purpose mixes that includes several varieties of grass.

Yes, I live in a place that has cold winters. It is interesting to note, the
part of the lawn that gets shade, hardly ever grew any weeds. And, always
came up as thick, normal-looking grass. The sunny part is where the weeds
grow.

I am going to return the Bluegrass and head to a garden store and try to
find a general mix. Seems Home Depot only carries high maintainence seed.

I just cut the lawn today and don't have time this weekend to spread the
weed cuttings, like suggested in a previous post. Otherwise, I might have
given that suggestion a try.

Also, in response to a previous post; about a month ago, to make my Dad (a
very old former farmer) happy he wanted some fertilizer put on the lawn.
So, I complied. Don't ask me why. We never use it. Sure enough a good
part of the lawn burned under the hot sun. This kind of upset me for I
pride myself in having a greener grass than our neighbor who does all sorts
of maintenance. I've told him not to cut it so short and only cut a couple
times a summer. He won't listen. Now, his lawn looks better. But, I have
faith my crab grass and whatever seed I buy will grow back good and strong.

Charlie S.

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Never really thought about it. I always thought it was expensive.

No

Before you seed you may want to take care of the compacted soil and ruts
from the dumpster. I made the mistake of just letting it grow back but I had
an uneven lawn from thence forth.
"Charlie S." wrote in message
Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with
these hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave it
barren. So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home
Depot to re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a lot
more attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to bother
with. Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

Charlie S.

Before you seed you may want to take care of the compacted soil and ruts
from the dumpster. I made the mistake of just letting it grow back but I
had an uneven lawn from thence forth.

Great idea... this dumspter area looks like a compacted Sahara... compared
to rest of the area. I already filled in the area where he dragged the
grass.

Recently had a dumpster removed from our yard after sitting there over a
month. The hauler tore a big chuck of the lawn out when he tried to
lift/drag it away. Plus, with all the construction-type work I've been
doing in the yard, the lawn now has a lot of grassless areas.

It's a small yard with mostly crabgrass. We've always been happy with
these hardy weeds. I know it will take ages to fill in if I just leave
it barren. So, I bought Scotts Pure Premium, Kentucky Bluegrass from Home
Depot to re-seed these areas. Worried that this good seed will need a
lot more attention like watering, and fertilizer than I really want to
bother with. Anyone recommend a hardier, less attention needing seed?

Edwin Pawlowski

I can say it does make a difference. The grass in the front of my house
is pretty nice and green, but the back is pathetic. I water 3-4 times a
week and fertilize 4-5 times a year.

Mine is pathetic front and back. I've not had to mow for three weeks now!
Yay, no rain forecast either.