Charlie S.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where you are and whether its full sun or shade are big factors in what
type of grass you want to plant. Since you bought bluegrass, I'll
assume you're in area with moderate to cold winters. Blue grass is one
of the higher maintenance grasses and is suited to a sunny location.
It requires more fertilizer and water to keep it looking good. If
you're just going to reseed one area, I'd get one of the general
purpose mixes that includes several varieties of grass.

Yes, I live in a place that has cold winters. It is interesting to note, the
part of the lawn that gets shade, hardly ever grew any weeds. And, always
came up as thick, normal-looking grass. The sunny part is where the weeds
grow.

I am going to return the Bluegrass and head to a garden store and try to
find a general mix. Seems Home Depot only carries high maintainence seed.

I just cut the lawn today and don't have time this weekend to spread the
weed cuttings, like suggested in a previous post. Otherwise, I might have
given that suggestion a try.

Also, in response to a previous post; about a month ago, to make my Dad (a
very old former farmer) happy he wanted some fertilizer put on the lawn.
So, I complied. Don't ask me why. We never use it. Sure enough a good
part of the lawn burned under the hot sun. This kind of upset me for I
pride myself in having a greener grass than our neighbor who does all sorts
of maintenance. I've told him not to cut it so short and only cut a couple
times a summer. He won't listen. Now, his lawn looks better. But, I have
faith my crab grass and whatever seed I buy will grow back good and strong.