John Smith

Default What is 0.411" OD coper pipe?!?!

As you may recall, I had a flexible copper pipe burst last winter. I mended
it with silicon tape and cable ties. It held for 2 months, and then started
leaking.

Today I cut the bad section out, but when I went to put a new piece in with
my 3/8" compression couplers, they didn't fit the old pipe.

I went to HD and the guy told me there is no pipe that diameter. He thought
the same freezing that burst it, expanded the rest of it. Maybe, but I am
measuring 5" from either side of the burst, and they both measure a very
round 0.411". I wouldn't expect ice to be so uniform.

So, what do I have, and how do I fix my pipe?

The propane hose I referred to in my earlier post will not fit this pipe;
but HD had some 3/8ID reinforced vinyl hose that is a very snug fit. Is
reinforced vinyl suitable for hot water? It says 225psi at 70 degrees, and
I only have 40PSI to it.

Thanks. Yeh, this is beginning to sound like to troll to me too, but it
really isn't.

Speedy Jim

John Smith wrote:
[...]

http://www.copper.org/applications/p...ndex_table.htm
Looks oddball...
Edwin Pawlowski

"John Smith" wrote in message

Thanks. Yeh, this is beginning to sound like to troll to me too, but it
really isn't.

But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

Duane Bozarth

John Smith wrote:

As you may recall, I had a flexible copper pipe burst last winter. I mended
it with silicon tape and cable ties. It held for 2 months, and then started
leaking.

Today I cut the bad section out, but when I went to put a new piece in with
my 3/8" compression couplers, they didn't fit the old pipe.

I went to HD and the guy told me there is no pipe that diameter. He thought
the same freezing that burst it, expanded the rest of it. Maybe, but I am
measuring 5" from either side of the burst, and they both measure a very
round 0.411". I wouldn't expect ice to be so uniform.

If it didn't expand it, I have no idea. I suppose it could have been
some metric-size non-US standard size, but tubing is sized by the OD
dimension and despite the gauge (wall thickness) the outer diameter is
the nominal size within a thou or two. What would be off by 0.411 -
0.375 = 0.036 I don't know.

Let's see...0.411 * 25.4 = 10.44 mm -- is there something nominal 10 mm,
perhaps in metric tubing sizes? I can't seem to find any data in a real
quick look-through what I have at hand...

I think I'd look at the end fittings on the existing piece and see what
they are and simply replace the whole run as a first shot...
John Smith

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"John Smith" wrote in message

Thanks. Yeh, this is beginning to sound like to troll to me too, but it
really isn't.

But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

Instead of being a jerk, give me a better fix.

John Smith

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:

[...]

I will measure at the T. If it really is 3/8" then replacing the whole run
is probably best.
I don't think I can replace the T though (insufficient room to work in) so
if it is really 0.411...
Thanks

Duane Bozarth

John Smith wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I think I'd look at the end fittings on the existing piece and see what
they are and simply replace the whole run as a first shot...

I will measure at the T. If it really is 3/8" then replacing the whole run
is probably best.
I don't think I can replace the T though (insufficient room to work in) so
if it is really 0.411...
Thanks

Is this simply a plumbed run? Are you in the US I gather? If so, it's
hard to imagine something not Imperial measure.

I did find a British standard that does show a 10 mm nominal but it
would seem most unusual unless were a piece of equipment that used
metric fittings or you are in an area where that would be the norm--but
in that case wouldn't seem like you'd have a problem w/ the fittings...

Re your other question as a temporary patch, depending on what the use
is--oh, I gather it is a hot water line altho it would be quite small
for that.

You should be able to get buy until cold weather by using a piece of
tubing and screw clamps as a patch while you find what it is you need.

I don't suppose the odd sizes come because it's a trailer or
manufactured house, by any chance????
Jeff Wisnia

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Apologies for what might seem to be an insulting question, but what are
you measuring the diameter with and is there any possibility you are
either reading it wrong or it is out of calibration? (Not likely if the
3/8" compression couplings you got won't go over it, huh?)

If not, then why not just bore out one end of a couple of thick wall
sweat couplings to suit that .411 OD and sweat in a length of 3/8"
tubing using them?

I'd be happy to bore a pair for you gratis, email me if you're interested.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

John Smith wrote:
[...]

7/16" ??

I would check my equipment calibration and bring a piece of pipe with me
if I could. And your sure its copper?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Vic Dura

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:51:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote Re What is 0.411" OD coper pipe?!?!:

"John Smith" wrote in message

Thanks. Yeh, this is beginning to sound like to troll to me too, but it
really isn't.

But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

That wasn't very helpful.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

zero

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:30:17 GMT, "John Smith" wrote:

As you may recall, I had a flexible copper pipe burst last winter.

When water feezes it expands. *You'll have to start at a place that
did not freeze and replace it from there on.

I mended
it with silicon tape and cable ties. It held for 2 months, and then started
leaking.

Today I cut the bad section out, but when I went to put a new piece in with
my 3/8" compression couplers, they didn't fit the old pipe.

I went to HD and the guy told me there is no pipe that diameter. He thought
the same freezing that burst it, expanded the rest of it. Maybe, but I am
measuring 5" from either side of the burst, and they both measure a very
round 0.411". I wouldn't expect ice to be so uniform.

Why not? Thats _exactly_ what happens when copper pipes freeze. It's a
cool thing to look at/measure, as long as it's not you pipes.

So, what do I have, and how do I fix my pipe?

See above*

The propane hose I referred to in my earlier post will not fit this pipe;
but HD had some 3/8ID reinforced vinyl hose that is a very snug fit. Is
reinforced vinyl suitable for hot water? It says 225psi at 70 degrees, and
I only have 40PSI to it.

Thanks. Yeh, this is beginning to sound like to troll to me too, but it
really isn't.

-zero
John Smith

John Smith wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is US. It goes to my dishwasher. The contractor ignored code on
several electrical things but I can't imagine why or how he used irregular
pipe.
I have been to two stores, but will try a real plumbing supply shop
tomorrow;
though I am not optimistic.

Re your other question as a temporary patch, depending on what the use
is--oh, I gather it is a hot water line altho it would be quite small
for that.

You should be able to get buy until cold weather by using a piece of
tubing and screw clamps as a patch while you find what it is you need.

I drain it in October. It didn't drain properly because there is a low spot
in the run. I guess it normally blows out with compressed air, but not
last year.

I don't suppose the odd sizes come because it's a trailer or
manufactured house, by any chance????

John Smith

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
John Smith wrote:
[...]

It didn't fit my 3/8" couplings, or the ones at HD.

If not, then why not just bore out one end of a couple of thick wall sweat
couplings to suit that .411 OD and sweat in a length of 3/8" tubing using
them?

I'd be happy to bore a pair for you gratis, email me if you're interested.

There is no room in there to sweat, but if you don't mind having your
fittings glued in place, I might take you up on your generous offer.
Tomorrow I will try the plumbing shop that is supposed to have everything.
If they don't...

Edwin Pawlowski

"John Smith" wrote in message
But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

Instead of being a jerk, give me a better fix.

I did the first time you asked months ago. Being a lazy SOB, you chose to
ignore it and go with half assed fixes that can flood your house out. Do
as you please, but there are proven and safe ways to repair it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vic Dura" wrote in message

But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

That wasn't very helpful.

He was offered help months ago and still want so cheap out. He'll finally
fix it right after he has a flood.

John Smith

"John Smith" wrote in message
But your fixes are still as dumb as ever

Instead of being a jerk, give me a better fix.

I did the first time you asked months ago. Being a lazy SOB, you chose to
ignore it and go with half assed fixes that can flood your house out. Do
as you please, but there are proven and safe ways to repair it.

What was your suggestion months ago? It doesn't work because the pipe is
oversized. If you don't have anything constructive to say, shut up.
Thanks.

Stretch

John

Get a 3/8" expanding tool (swaging tool). Hammer it into the tubing to
expand it to the size of a 3/8" coupling. Then solder tobing into the
expanded tubing. Some expanding tools use a clamp and lead screw
driven expander, but they are pretty expensive. You may need a plumber
for this one.

Stretch

Sherlock Holmes

In article , says...
As you may recall, I had a flexible copper pipe burst last winter.

Yes, we do recall. You're not fooling anybody with this "John Smith"
stuff, Toller, we remember who asked the question.

I mended it with silicon tape and cable ties. It held for 2 months, and
then started leaking.

As I recall, Toller, quite a few people told you then that it wouldn't
hold, and said you should cut out the damaged section and replace it. You
didn't want to listen. Guess you should have, huh?

Today I cut the bad section out, but when I went to put a new piece in with
my 3/8" compression couplers, they didn't fit the old pipe.

That's because the freezing water expanded the old *tube*. Not "pipe".

I went to HD and the guy told me there is no pipe that diameter. He thought
the same freezing that burst it, expanded the rest of it.

Yep.

Maybe, but I am
measuring 5" from either side of the burst, and they both measure a very
round 0.411". I wouldn't expect ice to be so uniform.

Why not? I would.

So, what do I have,

You have 3/8" OD *tubing* that's been expanded about 10% by freezing
water. Just by the way... do you happen to know how much water expands
when it freezes? If you guessed "ten percent" then go to the head of the
class.

and how do I fix my pipe?

You fix it the way you were told the first time you asked this question:
by cutting out the damaged section (which obviously is a lot longer than
you realize) and replacing it.

You may have to go all the way back to the beginning of the run -- where
you will undoubtedly find a 3/8 compression coupling.

The propane hose I referred to in my earlier post will not fit this pipe;

That eliminates *one* jackleg repair possibility...

but HD had some 3/8ID reinforced vinyl hose that is a very snug fit. Is
reinforced vinyl suitable for hot water? It says 225psi at 70 degrees, and
I only have 40PSI to it.

You really *are* determined to do a half-assed job of this, aren't you,
Toller?

If it *was* suitable for hot water, it would have a temperature and
pressure rating indicating that.

Do it right the first time, and you won't have to keep coming back.