Sherlock Holmes

In article , says...
As you may recall, I had a flexible copper pipe burst last winter.

Yes, we do recall. You're not fooling anybody with this "John Smith"
stuff, Toller, we remember who asked the question.

I mended it with silicon tape and cable ties. It held for 2 months, and
then started leaking.

As I recall, Toller, quite a few people told you then that it wouldn't
hold, and said you should cut out the damaged section and replace it. You
didn't want to listen. Guess you should have, huh?

Today I cut the bad section out, but when I went to put a new piece in with
my 3/8" compression couplers, they didn't fit the old pipe.

That's because the freezing water expanded the old *tube*. Not "pipe".

I went to HD and the guy told me there is no pipe that diameter. He thought
the same freezing that burst it, expanded the rest of it.

Yep.

Maybe, but I am
measuring 5" from either side of the burst, and they both measure a very
round 0.411". I wouldn't expect ice to be so uniform.

Why not? I would.

So, what do I have,

You have 3/8" OD *tubing* that's been expanded about 10% by freezing
water. Just by the way... do you happen to know how much water expands
when it freezes? If you guessed "ten percent" then go to the head of the
class.

and how do I fix my pipe?

You fix it the way you were told the first time you asked this question:
by cutting out the damaged section (which obviously is a lot longer than
you realize) and replacing it.

You may have to go all the way back to the beginning of the run -- where
you will undoubtedly find a 3/8 compression coupling.

The propane hose I referred to in my earlier post will not fit this pipe;

That eliminates *one* jackleg repair possibility...

but HD had some 3/8ID reinforced vinyl hose that is a very snug fit. Is
reinforced vinyl suitable for hot water? It says 225psi at 70 degrees, and
I only have 40PSI to it.

You really *are* determined to do a half-assed job of this, aren't you,
Toller?

If it *was* suitable for hot water, it would have a temperature and
pressure rating indicating that.

Do it right the first time, and you won't have to keep coming back.