Colbyt

Default What are the top 25 Repeated Questions?

For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Pop

"Colbyt" wrote in
message news:uDTIe.226577$_o.86978@attbi_s71...
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this
group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the
results.

Colbyt

Easiest way to figure that out would probably be to
View All, and arrange them by subject. I like the
idea.

Planning a FAQ or something?

Pop

Jennifer

Colbyt wrote:
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

I'll start I've been a mostly-lurker, sometimes-poster here for at
least 5 years, and these are the ones I remember seeing repeatedly.

How do I replace chipped/cracked/stained tiles and/or grout?

How do I/how should I replace/reface my kitchen cabinets?

What countertop or flooring materials should I use?

How much should it cost to do x, where x = repave a driveway, remove a
dead tree, or replace a roof?

How do I remove wallpaper/how do I fix the messed up walls underneath
the wallpaper?

What's the best paint?

--
Jennifer

JohnR66

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Is brand X windows any good? This post often goes unanswered.

G Henslee

Colbyt wrote:
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Number one has to be: "neighbor's dog ****ting on my lawn". Or
something along those lines.

Followed by electrical and drywall advice.

Sacramento Dave

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Did I get charged to much? always followed by, What should I do?

Olaf

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Any issues delightfully referred to here from alt.hvac

badgolferman

Colbyt, 8/5/2005, 8:37:46 PM, wrote:

For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Air conditioning problems.

--
"I miss. I miss. I miss. I make."
Seve Ballesteros describing his four-putt at Augusta's No. 16 in 1988.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jennifer" wrote in message
I'll start I've been a mostly-lurker, sometimes-poster here for at
least 5 years, and these are the ones I remember seeing repeatedly.

How do I replace chipped/cracked/stained tiles and/or grout?

How do I/how should I replace/reface my kitchen cabinets?

What countertop or flooring materials should I use?

How much should it cost to do x, where x = repave a driveway, remove a
dead tree, or replace a roof?

How do I remove wallpaper/how do I fix the messed up walls underneath
the wallpaper?

What's the best paint?

And I'll add:
What is the best roof and how much will it cost?
What is the best siding and how much will it cost?
What is the best insulation and how much will it cost?
What is the best flooring and how much will it cost?
My toilet is clogged, how do I fix it?
What is the best (refrigerator, washer, dryer, range)
My (refrigerator, washer, dryer, range) is making a strange noise
My refrigerator is not getting cold
Assorted water softener, filtration, reverse osmosis, faucet questions.

Rick

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Lawnmower won't start/stay running

Sam Nickaby

"Colbyt" wrote

For all the regulars out there.
What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?
If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.
If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

How do I Get rid of Roaches, ANTS, Fleas and other creepy insects
The Natural Way?

How do I get rid of Mold, Mildew, Fungus?
What are great Mildew and other Stain Removal Solutions?
How do I Remove grease from driveway and garage floor?

What can I do about Condensation and Sweating Windows?
How can I Soundproof Walls?
How to Remove Popcorn Ceilings texture or Paint?
How do I remove air bubbles from my wallpaper?
How do I Waterproof my Basements?
How to Install a Ceiling Fan?
Garbage disposal Does not work
How do I unclog My Septic Tank that's backing up?
How to remove a screw with a damaged screw head?

How do I Choose Colors?
How do I choose which type of brush should I use? Bristle, Nylon?
How do I Paint Interior Wood and Trim?
How do I Paint Kitchen Cabinets?
How do I Paint Ceramic Tile and Formica?

How to Remove formica from a countertop?
How do I Paint Exterior Wood-Oil vs Latex?
How do I properly vent clothes dryer?
How do I Paint or Wallpaper Wood Paneling?
How do I Paint over Wallpaper?
How do I Repair or Replace Damaged siding?
How do I Prepare rusty surfaces for painting?

25 questions you can try to answer.

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Joseph Meehan

Sam Nickaby wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote

Great list of questions.

I will add:

* What size A/C do I need. I have a really big house and how much will
it cost (with no information about the size of the home, where it is
located, age, etc.

* Short life light bulbs

* Do I really need to ..... (any of a long list of electrical or
building codes) ?

* Can I just paint something on the walls to stop basement leaks?

* What battery operated sump pump should I use to keep my basement dry
during a two week power outage?

[...]

Dia duit

Charlie Bress

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Good list so far but please add

Three way switch wiring
Garage door springs, won't close, etc.
Some outlets don't work (gfi)
Finding good contractor, handyman.
Blocked drain, toilet etc.

FDR

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Number one has to be: "neighbor's dog ****ting on my lawn". Or something
along those lines.

Followed by electrical and drywall advice.

So the answers to a dog feces problem is shocking it or finishing a room for
it?

I R Baboon

Lar

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 00:37:46 GMT, "Colbyt"
wrote:

For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

The top question would be found in the answers of any thread...someone
will always ask the poster along the line of "Have you searched
google?"

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Colbyt

"Pop" wrote in message

Easiest way to figure that out would probably be to
View All, and arrange them by subject. I like the
idea.

Planning a FAQ or something?

Pop

Excellent suggestion about the view thing.
My current news server has a short retention rate so that won't work for me
unless I do the google thing.

Maybe to FAQ thing. Not sure yet.

Colbyt

Colbyt

Thanks to all who have posted. A lot of good replies. I have saved them
all.

I won't waste the bandwidth to respond to each message.

Add more as you think of them.

Having hung around here for as long as I have I can see we are in the summer
cycle of questions.

You guys need to think about the winter cycle.

The dog crap thread always becomes the longest thread. Such much emotion.

Colbyt

Edwin Pawlowski

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message

If this is an effort to reduce questions being asked repeatedly, I think
it is
counter-productive. No matter how many times a question might be asked,
you
never can predict when a new contributor will join us who has some good,
and NEW
advice on a subject. If you want a static source of answers, by a book. If
you
want to maintain the value of a live interactive group exchange, then use
usenet
the way it was intended.

Some years ago I participated in writing a FAQ on barbecue. It is still
being touted as one of the most accurate pieces of reference material for
enthusiasts that has been written. Does it replace questions and
interactivity? No, it actually starts conversations.

A well written homeowners FAQ can be a handy guide for many. There will
never be a ONE source for anything. Please don't say why it won't be any
good when you don't even have a clue what is going to be done. If you don't
like it, take your own advice and ignore it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message

Edwin, If you don't like the point I made, which is an entirely valid one,
then
why didn't YOU ignore it? I didn't tell anyone to ignore anything. See...
we're
using usenet for what it is intended for. Conversation, not "handy lists"

rusty redcloud

Sort of once sided eh? You make a point and I make a counter point so I'm
wrong?

Nothing wrong with conversation, but having a check list of sorts can be a
good thing. Why is it wrong for the group here to provide it? Why do you
assume it is going to eliminate conversation? My point, that you ignore, is
that it can actually stimulate more conversation.

I don't think you really want to discuss anything, you just want to make a
point and have everyone agree. How about a real discussion about the
potential for a FAQ, what should or should not be in it, and how should it
be used?

I ignore things I want to ignore and have no interest in. I discuss things
that I do have an interest in. I accept that not everyone will agree with
me, but that is their right, even if they are wrong

Banty

In article , Edwin Pawlowski says...

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message

[...]

You're both right.

1. A FAQ *is* a Good Thing

2. Discussion of subjects covered by the FAQ *is* a good thing.

I think there *is* some warranted irritation at those who object to threads
about commonly asked questions - this isn't meant to be a library; it's a
discussion group. Those bored by what they regard as repetition should just go
and find some excitement elsewhere.

Lots of Usenet newsgroups maintain very useful FAQ's while also not discouraging
discussion of the subjects they cover, yes, even substantially similar
discussions.

So the only danger that needs to be guarded against would be the desire of some
to say "read the FAQ, end of story, it's all in there, don't bother us
otherwise". Then, those of us who consider new discussions of old subjects,
with likely new participants and possibly new products available to talk about,
can pipe up and tell those folks to buzz off ;-)

Cheers,
Banty

Colbyt

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 03:28:29 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message

[...]

Both of you guys have excellent points that I agree with.

Rusty is right that no FAQ should ever replace Usenet. The interaction is
the best of Usenet (even when it is ugly). We, or at I can always learn
something from anybody.

Edwin is right that a well written FAQ can answer many of the basic
questions that a complete newbie might ask and inspire new and more
challenging ones. Many times on this group I have seen the new poster get
slammed in the face with the "are you to d^%#$ dumb to search" Google door.
We just lost a regular when that happened.

The truth being that many people do not in fact know how to format a Google
search to get the desired result. You Google guru's think about this! Which
of those 12M pages is the right one? Until you learned how to refine your
search.

Would your buddy at work say have you RTFM (or googled) or would he answer
your question?

All of that said, I have no intention of writing a FAQ. I may make some
available bandwidth and a domain available for the group to use if the group
wants it.

I definitely plan to offer the group a place to post pictures free of
charge, banners and pop-ups. It is not quite ready for prime time. I want
to get the redirects working before I mention it in the group.

Colbyt

Stormin Mormon

25 Getting broken bulb out of socket
24 Holes in drywall patch
23 Mailbox post leans
22 Grubs in the lawn
21 Bathroom sink smells
20 Toilet runs continuous
19 Telephone wiring socket in another room
18 Dishwasher leaks on floor
17 Lock installation -- deadbolts
16 comptuer acts like it's got a virus
15 Attic ventilation
14 furnace doesn't run
13 AC doesn't cool properly
12 Sump pump failure
11
10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1 Dog Crap on yard

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message
For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

Colbyt

Edwin Pawlowski

"Banty" wrote in message

So the only danger that needs to be guarded against would be the desire of
some
to say "read the FAQ, end of story, it's all in there, don't bother us
otherwise". Then, those of us who consider new discussions of old
subjects,
with likely new participants and possibly new products available to talk
about,
can pipe up and tell those folks to buzz off ;-)

Cheers,
Banty

A FAQ does a few good things. It answers some very basic questions. It
stimulates more informed questions. It has detail that we may leave out at
times.

Everything done on newsgroups is voluntary. Sometimes I don't mind typing a
fairly long and complex answer to a question, other times I just don't have
the time or just don't feel like it. Other times the question is answered
properly by others. Then there are the more frequent times I don't have a
clue about a subject, but read the answers of others and learn myself.

All the information provided on a newsgroups is available from other
sources. Web sites, books, magazine articles, the guy down the street.
What they lack is the nuances of a particular scenario that only you may
have. Anyone reading newsgroups over time will know that yes, there are
dumb questions. The FAQ will not answer them either, but some people are
just too lazy to make any attempt to help themselves.

In any case, a FAQ is not something to be feared.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Luke

wrote:

For all the regulars out there.

What are the top 25 most repeated questions for this group?

If you don't care to do 25 do what you can.

If I get enough responses I will try to summarize the results.

"Do I need a permit?"

"Do I really need a permit?"

"I mean, do I really really need a permit?

"Isn't a permit just a way for a municipality to rip off homeowners?"

Followed shortly after by someone else asking:

"I just bought a house that had blank done without a permit and I
now want to do blank. What should I do?"

--
Luke
John Bolton goes ballistic:
MUADIB®

Paper or Plastic?

Do You Wad? or do you fold?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.

J Kelly

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 02:19:08 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

A FAQ does a few good things. It answers some very basic questions. It
stimulates more informed questions. It has detail that we may leave out at
times.

SNIP
In any case, a FAQ is not something to be feared.

I agree. The problems I have with FAQ's a

1. People will just respond with "did you read the FAQ?"

2. Products, methods, etc, change over time. The best way to fix a
problem today may not be the best way to do it next year at this time.
Maybe some newer better product or technology came along. Maybe we
realized that the way we always did things isn't the best way now.
Someone may just read the FAQ and do it the old way, when if they had
asked people could have said "I tried this newer product and it worked
BETTER than the one I used to always use". Or "I did it a new way,
the way I used to do it worked good, but this is even better".

3. Maybe an expert happens to read the question when it is posted and
can add something not in the FAQ, then the potential poster may have
missed out on some great info.

4. We won't get to see all the stupid replies to the dog****
questions. Wait, maybe that isn't so bad after all.

I'm not saying no to having a FAQ. If there is one, include something
about a good way to ask a question, ie: give details!. Don't say "I
have a pretty big house..." Say, "My house is 3,300 sq feet"

Just my 2 cents.
Edwin Pawlowski

"J Kelly" wrote in message
I'm not saying no to having a FAQ. If there is one, include something
about a good way to ask a question, ie: give details!. Don't say "I
have a pretty big house..." Say, "My house is 3,300 sq feet"

Just my 2 cents.

Good point. Many situations are covered on diy web sites and readily
available books. Most are generic in nature so asking a specific question
is what makes newsgroups so good. A little basics in that respect is very
important in a FAQ so people know what to ask to get the proper response.
Every appliance manual has the same few items. Check to see it is plugged
in, breaker tripped, etc. OK, that did not do it so let us know what you
did try and the results.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Colbyt

"J Kelly" wrote in message

I'm not saying no to having a FAQ. If there is one, include something
about a good way to ask a question, ie: give details!. Don't say "I
have a pretty big house..." Say, "My house is 3,300 sq feet"

Just my 2 cents.

That comment is worth a lot more than 2 cents.

Many times the key to getting a worthwhile answer is the subject and content
of the question.

Well said

Colbyt