Dan-o

Default portable AC/heat

I am considering a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any
recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider? thanks in
advance.

TURTLE

"Dan-o" wrote in message
I am considering a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any
recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider? thanks in
advance.

This is Turtle

Whirlpool or Roper

Don't get Electronic controls or anything with digital read out. You want Knob ,
buttons, and no electronics controls or remote controls at all.

TURTLE

"Dan-o" wrote in message

I am considering a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any
recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider?

Daewoo is nice... $5K Btu/h with a 10.2 EER for $69. Remove and discard
the hot coil and its fan, replace with a copper pipe tube-in-tube heat
exchanger, eg a 10'x3/4" pipe inside a 9'x1" pipe, with Us in the middle
and a bored-out 1" T and reducer at each end. Pump pressurized cold water
through it and back into a hot water pipe in summertime. Pump it through
a large EZ-Set pool in the basement in wintertime.

Nick

Greg O

wrote in message
"Dan-o" wrote in message

I am considering a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any
recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider?

Daewoo is nice... $5K Btu/h with a 10.2 EER for $69. Remove and discard
the hot coil and its fan, replace with a copper pipe tube-in-tube heat
exchanger, eg a 10'x3/4" pipe inside a 9'x1" pipe, with Us in the middle
and a bored-out 1" T and reducer at each end. Pump pressurized cold water
through it and back into a hot water pipe in summertime. Pump it through
a large EZ-Set pool in the basement in wintertime.

Nick

Do you always have to go to the extreme to solve something simple?????
Greg

Greg O wrote:

"Dan-o" wrote in message

I am considering a portable AC/heating unit for my 400 sq ft shop. Any
recommendations on brands to consider or to not consider?

Daewoo is nice... $5K Btu/h with a 10.2 EER for $69. Remove and discard
the hot coil and its fan, replace with a copper pipe tube-in-tube heat
exchanger, eg a 10'x3/4" pipe inside a 9'x1" pipe, with Us in the middle
and a bored-out 1" T and reducer at each end. Pump pressurized cold water
through it and back into a hot water pipe in summertime. Pump it through
a large EZ-Set pool in the basement in wintertime.

....1/2" internal pipe fits better, with a 4x1/2"x45 degree elbow U, and
at least 5KBtu/h/(110F-60F)/8/60 = 0.2 gpm of water flow, to make 110 F
water for showers with about 1/3 the usual energy. The basement pumping
requires some valves. A solar air heater could be nicer. See
http://www.BuildItSolar.com.

Do you always have to go to the extreme to solve something simple?????

Are you humor-impaired? What's your solution? Does "portable" mean
"not through a window?"

Nick

Daewoo is nice... $5K Btu/h with a 10.2 EER for $69. Remove and discard
the hot coil and its fan, replace with a copper pipe tube-in-tube heat
exchanger, eg a 10'x3/4" pipe inside a 9'x1" pipe, with Us in the middle
and a bored-out 1" T and reducer at each end. Pump pressurized cold water
through it and back into a hot water pipe in summertime. Pump it through
a large EZ-Set pool in the basement in wintertime.

...1/2" internal pipe fits better, with a 4x1/2"x45 degree elbow U, and
at least 5KBtu/h/(110F-60F)/8/60 = 0.2 gpm of water flow, to make 110 F
water for showers with about 1/3 the usual energy...

With a COP = 10.2/3.41 = 3, the hot side would dump 4/3x5000 = 6667 Btu/h,
so we need 6667Btu/h/(110F-60F)/8/60 = 0.28 gpm of water flow, with how
much inner pipe, ie heat transfer surface?

Nick