Default Turning the gas back on

I want to hook up a gas dryer to a newly installed gas line a plumber
put in for me. The line doesn't have a shut-off valve, so I was going
to shut the gas off at the main. But the gas company says that if I
turn it off, I have to have them come out and turn the gas back on
(which could take at least a week to schedule).

It seems like it is pretty easy to turn off and back on...one twist of
the valve. Is there really any danger from me just turning it back on
myself?

Thanks!!

Rich

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to hook up a gas dryer to a newly installed gas line a plumber
put in for me. The line doesn't have a shut-off valve, so I was going
to shut the gas off at the main. But the gas company says that if I
turn it off, I have to have them come out and turn the gas back on
(which could take at least a week to schedule).

It seems like it is pretty easy to turn off and back on...one twist of
the valve. Is there really any danger from me just turning it back on
myself?

Thanks!!

No none at all if your confident in your work! Mine has a valve at the meter
that can be locked closed just turn that 90 degrees and your pressure is
off. Do your work add a shut off valve check all your fittings with Snoop or
some other similar bubbling leak detector after you turn the gas back on and
if everything is good your good to go! YMMV.

Rich

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to hook up a gas dryer to a newly installed gas line a plumber
put in for me. The line doesn't have a shut-off valve, so I was going
to shut the gas off at the main.

Big error on the part of the plumber. There MUST be a shutoff valve before
the dryer. He should have installed one before the union that connects to
the dryer. This guy was an idiot if he did not put a valve in the line.

It seems like it is pretty easy to turn off and back on...one twist of
the valve. Is there really any danger from me just turning it back on
myself?

Not really, but they get fussy about things like that. You must re-light
any pilot lights and you may have air in the lines, especially where the new
work it. Do not even think about finishing the job the plumber did half
assed with no valve. Sequence is valve, nipple, union, rest of the piping.

OTOH, do you know what a gas valve looks like? It is not a knob on top like
a water valve. How did he terminate the line? Should be plugged or capped.
How did he turn the gas back on when he finished?

Thanks for all your responses. Yes, we think the plumber is an idiot
too; which is why we are trying to finish the work ourselves. It
actually all seems fine (except for the lack of valves), but well, he
was just difficult to work with.

Anyway, I looked up online how to turn the gas off and on (and they had
pictures of the valves). The line is capped, and we have a reducer to
attach it to the dryer (and teflon tape for the grooves). We're pretty
sure he turned the gas off at the meter and then turned it back on.
(This was about a month ago, and there have been no problems, so it
seems fine.)

Is there some sort of kit we can buy to add a valve to the currently
capped line before we attach it to the dryer?

Thanks again.

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Carolina Breeze HVAC

wrote in message
ups.com...
I want to hook up a gas dryer to a newly installed gas line a plumber
put in for me. The line doesn't have a shut-off valve, so I was going
to shut the gas off at the main. But the gas company says that if I
turn it off, I have to have them come out and turn the gas back on
(which could take at least a week to schedule).

It seems like it is pretty easy to turn off and back on...one twist of
the valve. Is there really any danger from me just turning it back on
myself?

Thanks!!

Why didnt your plumber follow IBC and put a shut off valve at the
termination of the gas line?
As a licenced gas pipe fitter, this kinda **** scares me...that there are
actually people getting paid for halfassed work.

No, I'm sure the plumber turned the gas back on himself. Since I'm not
a plumber I just wanted to make sure it wasn't more dangerous than it
seems (especially with the gas company being so adamant about doing it
themselves.).

Thanks for all your responses!!

MC

One reason the gas company likes to turn gas back on is that if you turn
back on too quickly there is a chance that could rupture the rubber diafram
in the regulator. Be sure to always turn on slowly.

"~^Johnny^~" wrote in message

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Carolina Breeze HVAC

"MC" wrote in message
.. .
One reason the gas company likes to turn gas back on is that if you turn
back on too quickly there is a chance that could rupture the rubber
diafram
in the regulator. Be sure to always turn on slowly.

Actually, no.
Not unless they have a commercial system running more than 5lbs, and even
then, the regulators are built to handle more than that.
The reason the gas companies like to be there is to make sure that the new
install is safe. If you sold a product that most people on average didnt
understand but the BOOM factor, and you had unlicenced persons working with
it, would you not want to make sure it was safe?
One NG explosion in a neighborhood really hurts profits as everyone changes
over to electric.