Default Garage perimiter with 4" block?

Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.

btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Where I live stem wall are a minimum of 8 inches wide.

What does the building department in your area say?

Lots of things to consider, height, use, are you planning on hoisting
anything from the structure?
frost or water tables.

clintonG

The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from
rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the
garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to
bow inwards (diaphragm).

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Harry K

clintonG wrote:
The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from
rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the
garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to
bow inwards (diaphragm).

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Use whatever the building department says, I suspect it will be 8". If
you have never layed block before, you will find 8" enough of a problem
to lay well, 4" forget it, you'll never do it and make it look right.

Harry K

wkearney99

Building a 24X28 garage.
I am a novice.

This combined with the other threads CLEARLY indicates you're not grasping
the legal requirements of the building code. Check with your county offices
before you put up a structure that will fall down and KILL SOMEONE.
Honestly, it's one thing to half-ass a shed or other small storage shelter.
It's another thing entirely to put up something large enough to hold not
only cars or equipment but people too. Just do it the right way and stop
screwing around.

lighten up dude. I am asking questions...that is how you learn.

Phil

Sure - lay the 4" block so that it is 4" high and 8" wide - you'll just
use twice as many!

Harry K, you'll be happy to know that I talked to the building
inspector and told him I was going to use 8" block...

I would like to thank everyone for their posts. It's good to hear
consistent information.