DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage perimiter with 4" block? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/115093-garage-perimiter-4%22-block.html)

[email protected] July 25th 05 07:56 PM

Garage perimiter with 4" block?

Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

[email protected] July 25th 05 08:03 PM

btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.

[email protected] July 25th 05 08:03 PM

btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.

SQLit July 25th 05 08:22 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Where I live stem wall are a minimum of 8 inches wide.

What does the building department in your area say?

Lots of things to consider, height, use, are you planning on hoisting
anything from the structure?
frost or water tables.

clintonG July 25th 05 08:28 PM

The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from
rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the
garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to
bow inwards (diaphragm).

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

oups.com...

Harry K July 25th 05 08:42 PM

clintonG wrote:
The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from
rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the
garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to
bow inwards (diaphragm).

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Use whatever the building department says, I suspect it will be 8". If
you have never layed block before, you will find 8" enough of a problem
to lay well, 4" forget it, you'll never do it and make it look right.

Harry K

Rick July 25th 05 11:48 PM

wrote:
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

When you started the other thread I was going to suggest you hire an
experienced mason to lay the block. I'll do that now. He'll be done
(and you'll be ready to start framing) long before you would get the
first course done on one side satisfactorily.

Masonry is one of those skills that looks really easy when you see
someone else do it (unless you just have a knack for it). But if you
want to try it, more power to you...

wkearney99 July 26th 05 12:54 AM

Building a 24X28 garage.
I am a novice.

This combined with the other threads CLEARLY indicates you're not grasping
the legal requirements of the building code. Check with your county offices
before you put up a structure that will fall down and KILL SOMEONE.
Honestly, it's one thing to half-ass a shed or other small storage shelter.
It's another thing entirely to put up something large enough to hold not
only cars or equipment but people too. Just do it the right way and stop
screwing around.

[email protected] July 26th 05 09:55 PM

lighten up dude. I am asking questions...that is how you learn.

Harry K July 27th 05 03:23 AM

wrote:
lighten up dude. I am asking questions...that is how you learn.

Correct but the other part is applying what you are told. Have you
checked with the building department?

Harry K

Phil July 27th 05 09:11 AM

Sure - lay the 4" block so that it is 4" high and 8" wide - you'll just
use twice as many!

[email protected] July 28th 05 01:22 PM

Harry K, you'll be happy to know that I talked to the building
inspector and told him I was going to use 8" block...

I would like to thank everyone for their posts. It's good to hear
consistent information.

Harry K July 28th 05 02:45 PM

wrote:
Harry K, you'll be happy to know that I talked to the building
inspector and told him I was going to use 8" block...

I would like to thank everyone for their posts. It's good to hear
consistent information.

Just a bit more add on. Someone else suggested hiring the job out. I
agree if you have never layed block before. It is a tiring,
frustrating job for an amatuer and very difficult to do well the first
time (or even the 5th or 6th in my case).

The first layer of block -should- be locked to the slab in some
fashion, pinned with rebar is the usual every so many blocks (building
dept again). Then every so many cores must be filled. Again building
department. That is all to ensure the kneewall, slab, and garage
remain connected.

I can't tell what your expertise is in building so if you have done it,
just ignore this post.

Harry K