Harry K

clintonG wrote:
The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from
rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the
garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to
bow inwards (diaphragm).

%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete
block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am
framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But
I am a novice.

Thanks.

Use whatever the building department says, I suspect it will be 8". If
you have never layed block before, you will find 8" enough of a problem
to lay well, 4" forget it, you'll never do it and make it look right.

Harry K