Default termite time

I am doing a renovation on a 100 plus year old home in New Orleans.
after exposing the studs and ceiling joists in some of the rooms I am
starting to find termite damage. The house is presently under contract
with an exterminator and there are sentricon bait traps around the
perimeter. My next step is to get the extermiinator out and get his
recommendations. Before I speak with him I am trying to get as much
info as posible about termites and the limitations of this sentricon
system. Anyone got any leads?

Greetings,

(I don't know about sentricon but) I understand that bait "trap" in
general are NOT to stop termites. They are to detect them and perhaps
to keep them from getting in the house but what are they going to do
for the termites in the ceiling?

Termite damage in a 100 year old home? So what? Does the wood need
replacing? Most 100 year old homes have some damage. The real
question is if the infestation is active?

Find out if the owner (you?) is guaranteed against termite damage by
the exterminator or otherwise. If so, call upon the insurance to (try
to get them to) fix the damage.

Hope this helps,
William

Is the termite infestation active?
If it is, the kind of termite is going to determine what needs to be
done.
If not, check the bait traps regularly.

Once the termite situation is resolved, checkthe members for structural
capacity.

TB

Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am doing a renovation on a 100 plus year old home in New Orleans.
after exposing the studs and ceiling joists in some of the rooms I am
starting to find termite damage. The house is presently under contract
with an exterminator and there are sentricon bait traps around the
perimeter. My next step is to get the extermiinator out and get his
recommendations. Before I speak with him I am trying to get as much
info as posible about termites and the limitations of this sentricon
system. Anyone got any leads?

I spent 3 month ( full time) doing termite work in one of my houses. Did
lots of research on termites. including chemicals and Baiting systems. I'll
make this short Baiting system will make you sleep well at night and that's
about it. There is a set up fee $$$$$$$ to place the station's.Then the
monthly service charge$$$. That's there money maker and read the guarantee
( the ink is worth more) I went with a chemical treatment called Thermador,
you can research that. The best advice I have is stay away from Terminex,
The guy from there crawled over a termite tube, he jammed his head under a
ducked and said lot of damage back hear. ( I found none when I tore into the
house there) This is my favorite part he was pushing the baiting system like
a used car salesman and I'm dead serious had a loan application in his back
pocket.Talk to a couple CO. about half I talked said that baiting was a
waste of time

Greetings,

I also had a bad experience with Terminex. I had a rep inspect 5 of my
properties and he got back to me that one of them had an active
infestation and wanted to charge me 1000's. I told him to show me. We
went over together and he showed me some wood with signs of termite
damage and I told him that he didn't understand. I need to see a live
termite before I spend money. Alas, he could not find one. He was
sure to tell me that he knew they were there and just because he could
not find one doesn't mean they aren't. He was unable to give me
convincing evidence of anything but a past infestation. I think it was
a scam.

William

Walter R.

I also had a problem with Terminix. They wanted $ 2,500 to get rid of some
termites (no actual damage). When I called another company, they only wanted
$ 600. It took the guy 2 hours to apply termiticide.

The whole termite business is full of scams. Beware

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Lar

In article .com,
says...
I am doing a renovation on a 100 plus year old home in New Orleans.
after exposing the studs and ceiling joists in some of the rooms I am
starting to find termite damage. The house is presently under contract
with an exterminator and there are sentricon bait traps around the
perimeter. My next step is to get the extermiinator out and get his
recommendations. Before I speak with him I am trying to get as much
info as posible about termites and the limitations of this sentricon
system. Anyone got any leads?

In New Orleans you can be dealing with native subterranean termites...an
exotic subterranean called Formosan Termite...or Dry Wood termite. Need
to make sure what you are dealing with or if they are even active. The
Sentricon ..referred to in the industry as Simple Con will be for
subterranean, so even though a treatment has been done if you are seeing
dry wood activity they will not be bothered. If your contract is for
termite work get them out for a thorough inspection...if not call
several reputable, local companies to have a look.

I will come across this several times a year with Sentricon...
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen1.JPG opposite side of the foundation is
http://arrow-pestcontrol.com/sen2.JPG

this home was put under the plan in 1999....this tube was found by me in
2005 while doing a real estate inspection...by the size of it I would
guess it is between 4-6 years old. The home owner paid a company $2800
for the installation and close to $400 a year to keep the home under
contract. I did a Termidor treatment on the home for around $1300 and
$125 for the yearly renewal. As suggested if you have the home treated
use Termidor...I have yet to have a call back on any home I have treated
with it.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Sacramento Dave

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

I also had a bad experience with Terminex. I had a rep inspect 5 of my
properties and he got back to me that one of them had an active
infestation and wanted to charge me 1000's. I told him to show me. We
went over together and he showed me some wood with signs of termite
damage and I told him that he didn't understand. I need to see a live
termite before I spend money. Alas, he could not find one. He was
sure to tell me that he knew they were there and just because he could
not find one doesn't mean they aren't. He was unable to give me
convincing evidence of anything but a past infestation. I think it was
a scam.

William

I did find spots in my house with damage and no termites. The bad part
though wood I tore out with no visible evidence were full of them. Those
basterds eat from the inside out. From all the work I did I doubt I found
all the damage. I found more than any inspection, But when your tearing
stuff it exposes more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I Know that there are alot of termite companies out there,that do take
advantage of customers.every chance they get. But I am going to do the
pest control business myself, and I always ask the customer if I find
termites if they would like for me to show them the termites. I beleave in
being honest to people and I beleave in doing what you what you say you are
going to do, and to give the customer there monies worth on whatever you
are charging them for.

Billy

Billy

refrigerator running all the time [email protected] Home Repair 10 December 17th 04 12:30 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
Termite control dino Home Repair 2 October 20th 04 10:12 PM
The Time The Monkey Came To Live At Rube's Shop Tom Watson Woodworking 21 March 12th 04 01:22 PM