Ulysses

Default Repairing a Honda eu2000 Generator

Hi.

The engine wore out (finally) on my little Honda eu2000 generator after
about 12,000 hours. I took it to a repair place and they want about $800 to
fix it. A new one is $895.

So, does anyone happen to know if there is a Honda engine that will fit it?
I have not taken the inside plastic cover off yet but according to the
repair guy it's just like a GC or GX engine, at least as far as the slant
engine design etc.

If the only choice is to rebuild it then I'll get the shop manual and a
micrometer but I would consider putting a cheaper engine in it (Honda GC
etc) if it can be made to fit in there. So far all I know is that it's a
3.5 HP engine.

Thanks.

toller

Maybe it is just advertising, but they claim the engine and generator are
integrated; so getting a generic replacement would be impossible.

Cool that you got 12,000 hours on it. I have 120 on mine.

Just open it up and see what kind of GX series it is.

You can go on ebay and do a search for the model number.

Mark

check Harbor Freight

Mark

Ulysses

"toller" wrote in message
news
Maybe it is just advertising, but they claim the engine and generator are
integrated; so getting a generic replacement would be impossible.

Cool that you got 12,000 hours on it. I have 120 on mine.

I'm not sure how much is advertising but I *think* it has an alternator
which is rectified and fed into the inverter. I'm hoping it's removable. I
called Honda (in Georgia no less) and they basically told me there is no
short block available and a new engine would cost almost as much as a new
generator and that rebuild was basically the only option.

I think part of my problem is this is one of the first ones to ever wear
out. I guess that's good ;-)

I bought a new one last week and it already has 100 hours on it. Someday
I'm gonna get hooked up to those wires they got on them poles and won't need
to use it so much any more.

Ulysses

wrote in message
ups.com...
Just open it up and see what kind of GX series it is.

You can go on ebay and do a search for the model number.

The only reason it's still together is because I don't have good place to
put it and work on it but it's looking like it's gonna have to get it's own
workbench. I'm no master mechanic so this is probably gonna take me a
while.

I would have guessed it was a GX engine too but the guy at Honda (in
Georgia--I called them) said it had a steel cylinder and I thought the GX
series had cast iron. I also thought the GX had a timing chain instead of a
belt but I guess I'll have to go pull the valve cover off my GX270 and see.

It sounds like the tricky parts, assuming I can find a direct replacement,
will be the DC producing magneto/alternator and the electric throttle
control. Maybe they will just bolt right on. I was hoping to gain from
someone else's experience but it looks like I'm gonna be first.

Actually I just checked hondas website. That unit has
the gx100 engine on it. Not really a common honda engine.

If its similar to a gx 120 on up you can do a cheap swap.

You'd need to make sure that its roughly the same dimensions
as other models.

Tom

Ulysses

wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually I just checked hondas website. That unit has
the gx100 engine on it. Not really a common honda engine.

If its similar to a gx 120 on up you can do a cheap swap.

You'd need to make sure that its roughly the same dimensions
as other models.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Where did you find that info? I looked and didn't find
anything on the engine.

I reckon it won't hurt anthing if I have to put in a 4 HP instead of 3.5 or
whatever. As long as they are the same outside. Some of the guys selling
engines on eBay have all the specs, pics, and dimensions right on the
listing. I'm now going back to Honda's site and see if I can find what you
found...

Northstar 8000 W Honda generator, feedback Chris Szilagyi Home Repair 17 September 14th 17 06:44 PM
Honda Generator Service Bulletin #20 J Home Repair 0 December 28th 04 08:37 PM
Replacement engine for Colemate Generator Robert Snyder Metalworking 12 August 23rd 04 03:31 AM
Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM