Default Towel rod project

Hi,

I am going to try one of the suggestions here about putting up a sheet
of wood over the sheetrock and then installing our towel rods into the
wood.

So I am going to need a stud finder to locate the studs and some thin
nails to test and make sure I find the studs correctly. I've never
used a stud finder so any tips would be appreciated.

Once I locate the studs I can attach my strips of wood using screws or
I guess I could nail them in. Screws seems like a good way to go.
Once the strips of wood are up I will attach the towel rods.

Seems simple enough but then again I've never used a stud finder.

I decided on using the sheet of wood because the wall paper in this
room is fairly new but it is ripped now where the rods pulled off the
wall. The wood will cover up the tears and hopefully they won't pull
out of the wall once I get them mounted using this method.

I'd appreciate any tips before I get started on this one.

Thanks,
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

So I am going to need a stud finder to locate the studs and some thin
nails to test and make sure I find the studs correctly. I've never
used a stud finder so any tips would be appreciated.

Just follow the instructions. You run it on the wall and watch the lights.

Once I locate the studs I can attach my strips of wood using screws or
I guess I could nail them in. Screws seems like a good way to go.
Once the strips of wood are up I will attach the towel rods.

Screws are better because you can remove them easier if need be later.

Tony Hwang

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

So I am going to need a stud finder to locate the studs and some thin
nails to test and make sure I find the studs correctly. I've never
used a stud finder so any tips would be appreciated.

Just follow the instructions. You run it on the wall and watch the lights.

Once I locate the studs I can attach my strips of wood using screws or
I guess I could nail them in. Screws seems like a good way to go.
Once the strips of wood are up I will attach the towel rods.

Screws are better because you can remove them easier if need be later.

Hi,
Counter sink screw.
Why not just mount rod onto studs?
Tony

Hi,
Counter sink screw.
Why not just mount rod onto studs?

I'm not sure if the stud size matches the towel rod. I'll check that
out before I use the strip of wood.

Thanks,
Steve

Bob

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You can tap on the wall to find the studs by sound, or use a magnet to find
the nails holding the drywall to them, and thereby, the studs. I've got a
magnet removed from a hard drrive that will stick itself firmly to the
drywall nails.

Bob

I'm not sure if the stud size matches the towel rod. I'll check that
out before I use the strip of wood.

If it doesn't match, I would think that you could cut the towel rod.
Exactly how were you going to finish the piece of wood to make it look
nice? Sounds tacky.

Roger Taylor

[...]

Stud finders are easy to use, follow the instructions, then mark wall with
erasable pencil. Erase marks later with a soft white polymer eraser, to
minimize wallpaper damage. Get the finders with led lights (locates wood),
not the magnetic (locates nails only) kind.I then double check before
drilling, using very thin nails, pushed thru the sheetrock using a Vice
Grips to hold the nail. In other words check twice, drill once.....
Much simpler just to forget the mounting board, and cut the bar length to
fit the stud spacing, once you have double checked stud positions.
Maybe you can cut patches from spare wallpaper and paste them on, usually
with good effect if you line up the pattern right.

C & M

You don't need no stinking stud finder, hombre. Tap on the wall with your
knuckles and listen for the change in sound. Drive in a small (4d) nail a
see if the stud is there. Since you are planning on covering the area with
a board you won't see these test holes. You had better plan on using a
marine grade spar varnish as a top coat and even at that you can expect
discoloration of the wood in a couple of years. Wood is a poor choice for
wet towels. How do I know? Cosmic consciousness. Yea that's it. Cosmic
consciousness. Wait. One more message coming... oak will turn black.
That's it. Channel closed.