Default Towel rod project

Hi,

I am going to try one of the suggestions here about putting up a sheet
of wood over the sheetrock and then installing our towel rods into the
wood.

So I am going to need a stud finder to locate the studs and some thin
nails to test and make sure I find the studs correctly. I've never
used a stud finder so any tips would be appreciated.

Once I locate the studs I can attach my strips of wood using screws or
I guess I could nail them in. Screws seems like a good way to go.
Once the strips of wood are up I will attach the towel rods.

Seems simple enough but then again I've never used a stud finder.

I decided on using the sheet of wood because the wall paper in this
room is fairly new but it is ripped now where the rods pulled off the
wall. The wood will cover up the tears and hopefully they won't pull
out of the wall once I get them mounted using this method.

I'd appreciate any tips before I get started on this one.

Thanks,
Steve