Junior Member

Default electric dryer screeching

I have a Kenmore model 110 electric dryer, don't know the age. It just started making a horrific, continuous, pulsating screech when running. Not like when your car's belts are slipping, more like metal on metal. I looked inside the drum at the fabric/plastic bearing on both ends and it doesn't look extremely worn through. I guess its silly to oil this bearing if you want your clothes clean.

What other parts would screech? I took the back off and part of the lint chute to see the fan but not too deep into it yet...the belt feels tight but still could be slipping I guess...

It dries clothes just fine, but you can't stay in the same room for very long...
Duane Bozarth

gado wrote:

I have a Kenmore model 110 electric dryer, don't know the age. It just
started making a horrific, continuous, pulsating screech when running.
Not like when your car's belts are slipping, more like metal on metal.
I looked inside the drum at the fabric/plastic bearing on both ends and
it doesn't look extremely worn through. I guess its silly to oil this
bearing if you want your clothes clean.

What other parts would screech? I took the back off and part of the
lint chute to see the fan but not too deep into it yet...the belt feels
tight but still could be slipping I guess...

It dries clothes just fine, but you can't stay in the same room for
very long...

Not sure how that one is made but the ones I have had (primarily GE)
have a nylon bushing on the rear spindle that eventually will wear out.
Have to pull the drum (not more than about a 15-minute job) to replace
it.
Junior Member

Update: Took the top cover off plus the door w/front panels, cut out the belt (cracking) and removed the drum. I removed the tensioner and notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very easily. Is this the noisemaker? Doesn't look repairable. The two rubber drum rollers spin fine with only a little play in their shafts. The motor has no discernable shaft play. I'll try replacing the tensioner and belt.
Jeff Wisnia

Duane Bozarth wrote:

gado wrote:

[...]

Some dryers support the drum at its back end with wheels about the size
of those on roller skates. See if your dryer has them and if so, they
they need lubing or replacement.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Appliance Repair Aid

gado wrote:
Update: Took the top cover off plus the door w/front panels, cut out
the belt (cracking) and removed the drum. I removed the tensioner and
notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very
easily. Is this the noisemaker? Doesn't look repairable. The two
rubber drum rollers spin fine with only a little play in their shafts.
The motor has no discernable shaft play. I'll try replacing the
tensioner and belt.
gado

Hi,

I removed the tensioner and
notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very
easily. Is this the noisemaker?

Probably is...roller wheels and idler pulley are common noise makers.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3346
Dryer idler pulley

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=529597
Most common dryer belt

http://www.applianceaid.com/whirlpool-dryers.html
Something that may help.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
BobK207

OP-

Did I miss the age of the unit?

BTDT in ~1990 I replaced the idler wheels AND the idler wheel SHAFTS
on a 1973 Kenmore dryer (it was squealing that crazy!) The unit had
been inserive at my house since (family of four; two young boys)

the shafts where worn, I could feel their out of roundness

it's sitll running in my shop ~ 5 loads per week since 1990; no squeals

Bob

Jim Elbrecht

gado wrote:

Update: Took the top cover off plus the door w/front panels, cut out
the belt (cracking) and removed the drum. I removed the tensioner and
notice that its plastic wheel seems to be tight, doesn't spin very
easily. Is this the noisemaker? Doesn't look repairable. The two
rubber drum rollers spin fine with only a little play in their shafts.
The motor has no discernable shaft play. I'll try replacing the
tensioner and belt.

Just to add to what Jeff said. In my experience, at this time it is
worthwhile spending a few extra dollars and buying;
1. The whole tensioner assembly- not just the wheel.
2. Check the 2 little wheels that the rear of the drum ride on. If
they aren't 100% freewheeling, then replace them, too. They also come
as a wheel only set, or as a complete assembly. Buy the complete
assembly.

In my house- if I replace just the pulley or wheels, the repair will
last a year or two. By replacing the entire assembly it jumps to 5-6
years. [my dryer is 25 years old and thanks to Appliance aid it runs
like a new one]

Jim