George

Default what carpet cleaning methods work

I previously used a rented wet "steam" cleaner to clean our carpets. I
have heard that there can be mold issues because of the time it takes to
dry and also the soap that is left behind tends to attract more dirt.

I noticed the stores are now selling carpet "dry cleaning" products.
They are a granular product that you brush into the pile, let dry and
vacuum with "capture" http://www.captureclean.com/capture seeming to be
the most readily available. I previously tried Resolve which is a
similar "dry cleaning" product for spot cleaning and wasn't impressed.

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?
G Henslee

George wrote:

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

Removal and replacement with decent floor covering and area rugs. IMHO
carpet is crap. Perhaps some limited use of berber. IMHO hardwood,
tile, stone, and even laminate are superior to rag/rug in every aspect.
George

G Henslee wrote:
George wrote:

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

Removal and replacement with decent floor covering and area rugs. IMHO
carpet is crap. Perhaps some limited use of berber. IMHO hardwood,
tile, stone, and even laminate are superior to rag/rug in every aspect.

I don't disagree. A good portion of our living space has tile on the
floors but the carpeted areas need to be maintained.
Charlie Bress

"G Henslee" wrote in message
George wrote:

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

Removal and replacement with decent floor covering and area rugs. IMHO
carpet is crap. Perhaps some limited use of berber. IMHO hardwood, tile,
stone, and even laminate are superior to rag/rug in every aspect.

Not every aspect. Softness, for walking, standing and sitting or laying on
is also a consideration.
So also are the thermal characteristics. You may not mind a bare foot on a
cold tile, but I prefer carpet underfoot.

Charlie

I recently used Woolite carpet cleaner on a couple of big stains. It
worked pretty well and was easy to use.

Luke

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:35:23 -0400, George
wrote:

I previously used a rented wet "steam" cleaner to clean our carpets. I
have heard that there can be mold issues because of the time it takes to
dry and also the soap that is left behind tends to attract more dirt.

I noticed the stores are now selling carpet "dry cleaning" products.
They are a granular product that you brush into the pile, let dry and
vacuum with "capture" http://www.captureclean.com/capture seeming to be
the most readily available. I previously tried Resolve which is a
similar "dry cleaning" product for spot cleaning and wasn't impressed.

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

FWIW, Capture has worked well for us on our bedroom wall-to-wall and
the area rugs in the rest of the house. Some stains require repeated
treatment. We found Resolve and Woolite spot treatments did not work
well.

--
Luke
"And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who
-- George W. Bush, September 30, 2003

George wrote:
I previously used a rented wet "steam" cleaner to clean our carpets. I
have heard that there can be mold issues because of the time it takes to
dry and also the soap that is left behind tends to attract more dirt.

I noticed the stores are now selling carpet "dry cleaning" products.
They are a granular product that you brush into the pile, let dry and
vacuum with "capture" http://www.captureclean.com/capture seeming to be
the most readily available. I previously tried Resolve which is a
similar "dry cleaning" product for spot cleaning and wasn't impressed.

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

I use "unbelievable" and let soak for 10mins...

then use a "hoover steam clean" mines purple.. runs about $300US..

I've had much luck with it..

Joe
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
Not every aspect. Softness, for walking, standing and sitting or laying on
is also a consideration.
So also are the thermal characteristics. You may not mind a bare foot on a
cold tile, but I prefer carpet underfoot.

That is why we have area rugs in a couple of places. We still have carpet in
much of hte house, but someday that will change.

If I'm sitting in a char for some length of time, I want a carpe under my
feet. I rarely wear shoes in the house so it is an issue. Not a big deal
to wall through a room, but for extended contact. carpe is nice.

Abe

That is why we have area rugs in a couple of places. We still have carpet in
much of hte house, but someday that will change.

If I'm sitting in a char for some length of time, I want a carpe under my
feet. I rarely wear shoes in the house so it is an issue. Not a big deal
to wall through a room, but for extended contact. carpe is nice.

------
Ed, were you half asleep when you typed this :-)

G Henslee

Abe wrote:
That is why we have area rugs in a couple of places. We still have carpet in
much of hte house, but someday that will change.

If I'm sitting in a char for some length of time, I want a carpe under my
feet. I rarely wear shoes in the house so it is an issue. Not a big deal
to wall through a room, but for extended contact. carpe is nice.

------
Ed, were you half asleep when you typed this :-)

One can never have enough mint julip...

Walter R.

If you have a lot of carpeted areas, you can buy a Hoover steam vac for
about $ 150. Works very well and you can just pull it out of the closet
whenever you need it.

For a smaller area you can rent the Rug Doctor or similar products at
supermarkets. Just like the Hoover, it has rotating/vibrating brushes.

The key to success is to use a minimum of detergent for the first run. Then
do at least one more pass with lots of clear, warm water. Do this until the
rinse water is clear. Then make one more pass without water, sucking the
carpet dry. This is the only way to keep your carpet from attracting soil
again.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"George" wrote in message
I previously used a rented wet "steam" cleaner to clean our carpets. I have
heard that there can be mold issues because of the time it takes to dry and
also the soap that is left behind tends to attract more dirt.

I noticed the stores are now selling carpet "dry cleaning" products. They
are a granular product that you brush into the pile, let dry and vacuum
with "capture" http://www.captureclean.com/capture seeming to be the most
readily available. I previously tried Resolve which is a similar "dry
cleaning" product for spot cleaning and wasn't impressed.

So what does everyone prefer for carpet cleaning?

I have an older model of Hoover steam clean machine. I usually shampoo
carpet and then rinse it off with white vinegar mixed with water. I am
in FL where mold can be a problem so I try not to saturate the carpet.
Have fans I use to help dry fast.

Lesley

For spots, I used something called "GONE". It comes in a spray can and
it's incredible. It'll remove anything. I have only found it at one
store, though--a vacuum cleaner store.

I just bought a bissell carpet cleaner. It was only about $180. I was
AMAZED at how well it worked. The carpet I cleaned with it looks new.
It also does upholstery, although I haven't used it yet for that. I
used to call Stanley Steemer. I used to swear by them and recommend
them to everyone. But now I swear by my bissell. It pays for itself
in no time!

Lesley

P.S. I am not all that fond of carpet either, but I just bought this
house and can't afford to do all of the rooms in hardwood yet, so I'm
putting down carpet in 2 rooms and hardwooding a long hallway, entry
way and the dining room. The upstairs is all hardwood except my
bedroom which has carpet. It's in great condition and a pretty nice
color, so I think I'll leave well enough alone there. . .but I do
prefer hardwood.

DIY electrical work after 1st January 2005 Uno Hoo! UK diy 89 December 17th 04 05:11 PM
Cleaning Carpet Coconut Home Repair 1 April 12th 04 09:29 PM
HELP PLEASE: Carpet cleaning smell won't dissipate eric veller Home Ownership 5 March 7th 04 02:23 AM