Lesley

For spots, I used something called "GONE". It comes in a spray can and
it's incredible. It'll remove anything. I have only found it at one
store, though--a vacuum cleaner store.

I just bought a bissell carpet cleaner. It was only about $180. I was
AMAZED at how well it worked. The carpet I cleaned with it looks new.
It also does upholstery, although I haven't used it yet for that. I
used to call Stanley Steemer. I used to swear by them and recommend
them to everyone. But now I swear by my bissell. It pays for itself
in no time!

Lesley

P.S. I am not all that fond of carpet either, but I just bought this
house and can't afford to do all of the rooms in hardwood yet, so I'm
putting down carpet in 2 rooms and hardwooding a long hallway, entry
way and the dining room. The upstairs is all hardwood except my
bedroom which has carpet. It's in great condition and a pretty nice
color, so I think I'll leave well enough alone there. . .but I do
prefer hardwood.