Default Smooth dropin 2x2 ceiling tile?

Hello everyone,

I have a kitchen that unfortunately has a suspended ceiling (T Bar
system) with ugly textured 2x2 ceiling tiles. I'm doing some
renovations and I'd like to find a 2x2 tile that most closely resembles
a regular sheetrock ceiling (ie: smooth white no texture). I've looked
at HD and Lowes as well as many online sites but it's either really
expensive (ie: $25+ a tile) or still has some details/texture.

Anybody know where I could get flat plain smooth 2x2 tiles (it probably
needs to be mineral since I'll be adding some recessed lights and I've
read that it's a big no-no with the plastic ones).

Help will be much appreciated (btw: I'm in the Boston area if that
helps).

Thanks!

zeO

Brian V

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

I have a kitchen that unfortunately has a suspended ceiling (T Bar
system) with ugly textured 2x2 ceiling tiles. I'm doing some
renovations and I'd like to find a 2x2 tile that most closely resembles
a regular sheetrock ceiling (ie: smooth white no texture). I've looked
at HD and Lowes as well as many online sites but it's either really
expensive (ie: $25+ a tile) or still has some details/texture.

Anybody know where I could get flat plain smooth 2x2 tiles (it probably
needs to be mineral since I'll be adding some recessed lights and I've
read that it's a big no-no with the plastic ones).

Help will be much appreciated (btw: I'm in the Boston area if that
helps).

Thanks!

zeO

Why not simply buy some drywall, cut it into 2x2's and paint it? As long as
the celing is suspended properly it will take the weight.

wkearney99

Why not simply buy some drywall, cut it into 2x2's and paint it? As long
as
the celing is suspended properly it will take the weight.

Or why not just replace the ceiling with actual drywall? If you don't like
the look then cobbling up something to imitate a drywall ceiling isn't
really ever going to look right. Is there some reason it needs to be a
suspended ceiling? If it's just a matter of height then just frame it up to
the desired height and hang new drywall on it. Just make sure you properly
anchor the framing of course.

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone,

I have a kitchen that unfortunately has a suspended ceiling (T Bar
system) with ugly textured 2x2 ceiling tiles. I'm doing some
renovations and I'd like to find a 2x2 tile that most closely resembles
a regular sheetrock ceiling (ie: smooth white no texture). I've looked
at HD and Lowes as well as many online sites but it's either really
expensive (ie: $25+ a tile) or still has some details/texture.

Anybody know where I could get flat plain smooth 2x2 tiles (it probably
needs to be mineral since I'll be adding some recessed lights and I've
read that it's a big no-no with the plastic ones).

Help will be much appreciated (btw: I'm in the Boston area if that
helps).

Thanks!

zeO

Call a local grid ceiling contractor and ask them. Personally I have never
seen 2x2. I have seen 2x4 that was used in commercial kitchens, washable.

Thanks for the responses but
1. Spackling is going to be too time consuming and not sure the result
will be as nice as I'd like
2. I believe that using cut up dry wall is going to be way too heavy
for the T bar structure (I've read several threads against this)
3. Closing up the ceiling alltogether is not an option since there is a
huge amount of exposed plumbing from an added bathroom on the second
floor (done in the 70s I would guess)

I'll call a local contractor but I was hoping that someone had an
online source for me...

Thanks for the help,

zeO

Dont really think there is any happy medium for you. If you fear
the plumbing will go on you, then have it checked or replaced.
If you want a nice smooth surface any and all contractors are going
to say put up drywall. nice thing about drywall is that it can
be hacked up and replaced smooth again with a little bit of
work.

I looked at the 2x2 tiles too. Didnt really find anything that
appealing.

Dont really think there is any happy medium for you
Not trying to be a pain but this project is a quick improvement job not
a install-a-brand-new-ceiling job so that's why I'm dismissing all
these suggestions.

I aggree with you that what would look the closest to drywall would be
drywall and if I had the time/money that's what I would have do.

I actually went back to Lowes last night and the solution was staring
at me all this time! They sell mineral 2x4 smooth tiles that I can
just cut in 2. I can't believe I did not think of this earlier! Duh!

Thanks for all your help!

zeO