Dont really think there is any happy medium for you
Not trying to be a pain but this project is a quick improvement job not
a install-a-brand-new-ceiling job so that's why I'm dismissing all
these suggestions.

I aggree with you that what would look the closest to drywall would be
drywall and if I had the time/money that's what I would have do.

I actually went back to Lowes last night and the solution was staring
at me all this time! They sell mineral 2x4 smooth tiles that I can
just cut in 2. I can't believe I did not think of this earlier! Duh!

Thanks for all your help!

zeO