Fred

Default appliance value

I am fighting my local municipality who is trying to raise my house value.
I've been told by a RE lawyer to assess the value of the appliances I have
in order to lower the assessment of my house. Can anyone tell me how to
judge the original MSRP of home appliances? I do not have receipts - They
were all purchased by previous owner.

Thanks

SQLit

"Fred" wrote in message
I am fighting my local municipality who is trying to raise my house value.
I've been told by a RE lawyer to assess the value of the appliances I have
in order to lower the assessment of my house. Can anyone tell me how to
judge the original MSRP of home appliances? I do not have receipts - They
were all purchased by previous owner.

Thanks

Unless your from a planet I am unfamiliar with you need another lawyer.

The only way to fight property taxes is in city hall. I have tried 4 times
failed 3.

G Henslee

Fred wrote:
I am fighting my local municipality who is trying to raise my house value.
I've been told by a RE lawyer to assess the value of the appliances I have
in order to lower the assessment of my house. Can anyone tell me how to
judge the original MSRP of home appliances? I do not have receipts - They
were all purchased by previous owner.

Thanks

Geez. What gulag do you live in?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" wrote in message
I am fighting my local municipality who is trying to raise my house value.
I've been told by a RE lawyer to assess the value of the appliances I have
in order to lower the assessment of my house. Can anyone tell me how to
judge the original MSRP of home appliances? I do not have receipts - They
were all purchased by previous owner.

Unless the appliances are a part of the house, they would have no affect on
the assessed value. My guess is you are looking to change the value by
$5000 or $15,000 or more. Showing that the refrigerator cost $500 and not
$600 is not going to help much.

I think you need better advice and a better way to contest the evaluation.
They should be able to tell you how the figure was arrived at and then you
can make a sensible challenge to it. Start by doing comparables. Don't be
shocked if you lose. House values have risen considerably the past few
years.

Fred

I understand what you're saying however the way it's working in my area
(Pgh, PA), I am to deduct the afore mentioned items from the sale price.
The local municipality is trying to nail me on sale price rather than by
assessment. I can argue that I paid for these items as part of the sale
price of the house. At the same time these items are truly not considered
part of the property "value". So the idea is that once I deduct these things
as well as some necessary repairs needed I should get a valuation lower than
my sale price - As you guessed around $15,000, more like $20K though. There
are some other things in the mix like other local home sales, etc.

I can tell you that trying to go back in time to figure out appliance prices
is tough.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Duane Bozarth

Fred wrote:

I understand what you're saying however the way it's working in my area
(Pgh, PA), I am to deduct the afore mentioned items from the sale price.
The local municipality is trying to nail me on sale price rather than by
assessment. I can argue that I paid for these items as part of the sale
price of the house. At the same time these items are truly not considered
part of the property "value". So the idea is that once I deduct these things
as well as some necessary repairs needed I should get a valuation lower than
my sale price - As you guessed around $15,000, more like $20K though. There
are some other things in the mix like other local home sales, etc.

I can tell you that trying to go back in time to figure out appliance prices
is tough.

How old are the appliances in question? Unless it's a fairly unusual
house I'd be surprised if you could manage to get $5k out of the lot and
when hit by the marginal rate you're probably not talking about any
significant amount net...
Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" wrote in message
I understand what you're saying however the way it's working in my area
(Pgh, PA), I am to deduct the afore mentioned items from the sale price.
The local municipality is trying to nail me on sale price rather than by
assessment.

Assessment is usually a portion of the sale price and can be from 50% to
100%. The percentage does not matter as long as it is applied equally.
That actual rate is set by the town and then the mil rate is fixed on that.

Are you trying to say the appliances should be deducted from the sales price
of the house since they are not a part of it? If that is the case, the
value would be what they are worth today, which is probably not much. You
may have better luck browning a used appliance dealer where you will find
your dishwasher is $150. Unless t hey are something super quality, it will
be a lot of work for tiny gain. They may then want you to prove that you
paid the previous owner for the appliances and want to collect sales tax.
You may have a tough battle on your hands.

Fred

No more than 3 years old. There's more to it than the appliances like a
deck replacement, etc. I know this is a somewhat ridiculous exercise but
I'm willing to try. I'm told it will tee me up for a successful 2nd appeal.

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

[...]

William Brown

Since the taxing authorities valuation is apparently based on the sales
price, the question would be how much the appliances were worth at the
time of the sale. Specifically, what would he have paid for the house
without the appliances vs. how much he paid for the house with the
appliances. He could very well argue that the value of the appliances
was what he would have had to pay for new appliances, as many people
would not want to buy used appliances to furnish a new home. I would
think getting an appraised value of the appliances might cost more than
he would reduce his tax. My suggestion would be to make a listing of
the appliances, call some store asking what new appliances of the same
quality cost, and assign what he thinks is a fair value to the
appliances. Only he himself can say how much he "overpaid" for the
house because the appliances were included. If he can find some similar
homes that sold at the same time without appliances, and that sold for
less than he paid, that would be good evidence.

Sales tax may or may not be an issue. In some jurisdictions there is no
sales tax applied to sales between individuals.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Fred" wrote in message

[...]

Duane Bozarth

Top posting sure makes it hard to keep any continuity, Fred...

Fred wrote:

No more than 3 years old. There's more to it than the appliances like a
deck replacement, etc. I know this is a somewhat ridiculous exercise but
I'm willing to try. I'm told it will tee me up for a successful 2nd appeal.

Then today's replacement price ought to be a good start. There's been
some markup owing to higher steel prices, but in consumer goods over the
last three years prices have been reasonably stable.

Bob G.

If I were sitting at my desk in City Hall you can bet I would assess
his property based on what he paid for it... BUT boy would I be quick
to increase the assesment if he replaced the deck ...

Just seems to me when someone buys anything...all needed repairs etc
are factored into the sales price....

Never though about applinaces however... they are not real property
but even if they were all top of the line new appliances I do not
think they would be worth enough to alter the assesment in any
meaningful way...

Bob G.

MUADIB®

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 22:32:08 -0400, Bob G.
wrote:

If I were sitting at my desk in City Hall you can bet I would assess
his property based on what he paid for it... BUT boy would I be quick
to increase the assesment if he replaced the deck ...

Just seems to me when someone buys anything...all needed repairs etc
are factored into the sales price....

Never though about applinaces however... they are not real property
but even if they were all top of the line new appliances I do not
think they would be worth enough to alter the assesment in any
meaningful way...

Possible to get a big chunk knocked off if you can prove you payed for
some high end appliances as well as the home..................see link

http://www.us-appliance.com/dcsranges.html

http://www.us-appliance.com/mieldis.html

http://www.us-appliance.com/therref.html

http://www.us-appliance.com/vikranw24dep.html

And for more stuff..............

http://www.us-appliance.com/luxkitap.html

There is a possibility, Just not a huge one.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.

Questions On Natural Gas Appliance Hookups For House Robert11 Home Repair 7 January 22nd 05 04:09 PM
Gas regulator - line or appliance type? Rob Home Repair 5 November 4th 04 02:41 PM
home appliance warranty CT Home Repair 9 April 1st 04 09:57 PM
Gouged on repair part by appliance repair company? DH in Denver Home Repair 14 December 15th 03 04:02 AM
Which appliance brands give the best warranty service? larrymoencurly Home Repair 7 November 10th 03 04:41 AM