Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" wrote in message
news:02cze.7351$vu5.1702@trndny08...
I am fighting my local municipality who is trying to raise my house value.
I've been told by a RE lawyer to assess the value of the appliances I have
in order to lower the assessment of my house. Can anyone tell me how to
judge the original MSRP of home appliances? I do not have receipts - They
were all purchased by previous owner.

Unless the appliances are a part of the house, they would have no affect on
the assessed value. My guess is you are looking to change the value by
$5000 or $15,000 or more. Showing that the refrigerator cost $500 and not
$600 is not going to help much.

I think you need better advice and a better way to contest the evaluation.
They should be able to tell you how the figure was arrived at and then you
can make a sensible challenge to it. Start by doing comparables. Don't be
shocked if you lose. House values have risen considerably the past few
years.