Rob

Default Gas regulator - line or appliance type?

I'm adding a 60k btu unit heater (ceiling mount) to a detached
workshop (w/ permit). It will be nat. gas and is a 2 psi system. The
heater is the only gas appliance in the building. There will be a
regulator
(2psi to 7"wc) located about 2-3' from the heater (the regulator will
be in the attic). Total pipe from from the riser to the regulator in
the building is about 20 feet.

Should this regulator be a "line" or "appliance" type regulator, or
does it matter? I'm looking at using either a Maxitrol 325-3L or
325-3.

Thanks,
Rob
Joe Bobst

Why would you need a regulator since your NG company supplies one at the gas
meter? In my experience, Modine and other unit heater suppliers that I have
installed don't need extra gas regulation. Nor do gas furnaces. Maybe its the
type of heater gas valve or something? Please enlighten as I may be behind the
latest technology. ???

Joe

Greg O

"Joe Bobst" wrote in message
Why would you need a regulator since your NG company supplies one at the

gas
meter? In my experience, Modine and other unit heater suppliers that I

have
installed don't need extra gas regulation. Nor do gas furnaces. Maybe its

the
type of heater gas valve or something? Please enlighten as I may be behind

the
latest technology. ???

Joe

Re-read his post, gas pressure is 2 PSI.
He needs a regulator, a 325-3 should be fine.
Latest technology? Not really! Many utilities supply the natural gas at 6-7
inches of water column to the home, often a utility will supply at 2 PSI,
then regulators for the appliances are required.
The utility in our area typically provides 2 PSI NG.
Greg

Speedy Jim

Zypher wrote:

The unit heater should come with an appliance regulator.? No?

Modern gas valves come with an integral regulator.
However, typically the regulator has a maximum inlet
pressure rating of only 1/2 psi. In this case he
does need an upstream regulator.

Jim

Rob

Re-read his post, gas pressure is 2 PSI.
He needs a regulator, a 325-3 should be fine.
Latest technology? Not really! Many utilities supply the natural gas at

6-7
inches of water column to the home, often a utility will supply at 2 PSI,
then regulators for the appliances are required.
The utility in our area typically provides 2 PSI NG.
Greg

Yes, there is a regulator at the gas meter, but that brings the
"street" pressure down to 2psi; from there it is distributed to the
various appliances and further regulated to 7"wc. In my situation, a
separate 2psi line (size 1") runs from the meter to the shop (about
100'). The heater needs an input of about 7"wc and thus the need for
a 2psi to 7" reg. The heater does have an internal regulator but it
only allows 7"wc input and brings the pressure down to about 3.5"wc
for the burner.

Thanks for the replies.
Rob

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 10:53 PM
QUESTION : What type of wood is safe to use for a cutting board ? [email protected] Woodworking 13 January 26th 04 08:38 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 03:29 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 04:56 PM