Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Default My lawnmower burned up

On Mar 4, 10:05*pm, Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote :

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:54:53 -0600, Bert Byfield
wrote:

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. *I didnt want the gas to kill my
lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the
mower deck to burn off the gas. *Somehow the gas in the tank
started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also
burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that
spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. *Why did the gas

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.

Only in Hollywood.
On the tv show "mythbusters" they proved this.
A standard propane blow torch wasn't enough to cause gasoline to
explode.
They also shot at a car's gas tank that was full, with a high powered
rifle and all it did was puncture a pair of holes in it.

That's because the tank was full -- not much oxygen in the closed tank. *
They should have tried it with an "empty" gas tank.- Hide quoted text -

Errm...they did. It also didn't work. The reason is that while the
tank is full of fumes, there isn't enough oxy to make a combustible
mix.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 5:49*am, richard wrote:
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 06:03:03 GMT, Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
m...
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it
was dripping on my lawn. *I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. *Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden
shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas
cap on tightly. *Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? *Now my
whole lawn is burned up and ruined. *I am really upset. *I think
the gas tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling
my lawyer to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll.

Almost surely.

*People who know, know that gasoline does not explode.

Wrong. *As usual. *Liquid gasoline burns; gasoline vapor mixed with air
explodes. *If the latter weren't true, then internal combustion engines
couldn't use gasoline.

Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get it to burn
at all.

Wrong. *As usual. *A match flame is surprisingly hot, certainly higher
than the temperature at which paper burns, which as we all know is 451F. *
Matches don't give off much heat since they're so small, but gasoline is
highly flammable in the presence of oxygen. *Please don't try to confirm
this on your own.

Not true. On the tv show they experimented with various ways to cause
gasoline to explode. *Including simple matches, cigarettes and even a
propane torch. They found gas requires a temperature of 800 degrees to
ignite. A cigarette only produces 600 degrees.

The reason gas "explodes" in an internal combustion engine is due to
the fact that the gas is vaporized and compressed. In reality, it
still doesn't explode, it is the spark from the spark plug which
causes it to explode.

If gasoline were that easy to explode, you would not have it in your
car.

Diesel, OTOH, does explode on it's own when properly compressed, thus,
no spark plug is required.

In either case, it is not the fuel itself that igntes, but rather, the
vapors of. As there is now a higher concentration of oxygen to the
fuel.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of videos of various types where fuel is
on the surface of the water and burning brightly? So how come it never
explodes?- Hide quoted text -

partially correct. You can start gas to burn (not explode) with low
level heat (match) IF there is a bit of vapor above the gas - there
almost always is. If the heat source is buried below the vapor level,
then more heat is needed.

Diesel is hard (compared to gas) to ignite becuase it doesn't put out
that much fumes.

Diesel "explodes" (again it burns rapidly, not technically "explode")
when highely compressed and the heat of compression sets it off. Gas
will do the same thing. Jusst dump some gas into a diesel engien and
watch it destroy itself.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

richard wrote in
:

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 06:03:03 GMT, Deadrat wrote:

richard wrote in
m:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn
so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower
deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on
fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down
my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I
put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and
[...]

Wrong. As usual. Please take my word for it that gasoline will ignite
with common objects found around the house. Your guess at the
temperature of a lit cigarette is off by a factor of 2. Not bad for you.

The reason gas "explodes" in an internal combustion engine is due to
the fact that the gas is vaporized and compressed. In reality, it
still doesn't explode, it is the spark from the spark plug which
causes it to explode.

I think we're in violent agreement here. Gas must be gas(eous) to
explode.

If gasoline were that easy to explode, you would not have it in your
car.

Diesel, OTOH, does explode on it's own when properly compressed, thus,
no spark plug is required.

In either case, it is not the fuel itself that igntes, but rather, the
vapors of. As there is now a higher concentration of oxygen to the
fuel.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of videos of various types where fuel is
on the surface of the water and burning brightly? So how come it never
explodes?

Once it's lit, it burns, so there's never the proper air/fuel mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns
rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and
does not explode. you are wrong.

I was wrong once.

1967.

March.

First week.

If you'd like to argue that an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does "NOT"
explode, then you want semantics, down the hall, first door on the left.
This is abuse.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

foad wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

the stupid animals in the heard

Fans of irony take note.

I use an irony to get the wrinkles out of my shirts.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my
lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the
mower deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank
started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also
burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that
spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.

Only in Hollywood.

Not so. Perhaps "explode" is too strong a word, if you are thinking
of plastic explosive which creates a fireball, but it is way beyond
kerosene, as I learned when trying to use gasoline to burn out a
stump. I nearly lost my eyebrows.

On the tv show "mythbusters" they proved this.

Oh, well if it was on tv... ;-)

A standard propane blow torch wasn't enough to cause gasoline to
explode.

I dunno. I used a match, and it worked better than I expected.

They also shot at a car's gas tank that was full, with a
high powered
rifle and all it did was puncture a pair of holes in it.

Maybe so, but I remember a lady I knew once whose husband had died
trying to set his own house on fire, with her and their kids in the
upstairs bedrooms. The cops said they would never know if it was
suicide or ignorance on the part of the husband that he died in the
fire (the rest of the family survived), since Hollywood shows the
flames "walking" across the room for the sake of drama, and a lot of
people believe that's how it works, but in real life gasoline goes up
in a WHOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH! that can take the guy with the match by
surprise.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Steve is correct, there is no "explosion" involved in the internal
combustion engine. That isn't "semantics," that's using the correct
word. This thread has largely focused on the differences between the two
phenomena, so this isn't the time and place to use the terms in a
casually interchangeable way.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll. People who know, know that gasoline does not
explode. Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get
it to burn at all.

Boy, are YOU dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!
Pour gas into/onto a hot mower engine and you get a lot of
evapouration - to the point a SPARK can light it. If it has a plastic
tank, when it melts and releases the half gallon of gasoline to the
atmosphere, a LARGE fire can result - including quite a "whoosh" of
flame.

I do think, however, that this is a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:38:16 -0600, Steve Barker
wrote:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Conflargation vs explosion is ALMOST a case of semantics.
For all practical purposes, a proper mixture of gasoline and oxygen in
a confined space explodes.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I love it. This really is the day for irony. It's not "semantics," the
poster says, just using the "correct" word.

Well, as long as it isn't semantics.

This thread has largely focused on the differences between the
two phenomena, so this isn't the time and place to use the terms in a
casually interchangeable way.

Which two phenomena? Burning and exploding? You don't say.

But, please, be sure not to define your terms. We wouldn't want to get
into semantics. Let's just say that putting a match to a pool of
gasoline gets you a quantifiably different phenomenon from putting a
match to a mixture of oxygen and gasoline vapor.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 12:12*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote innews

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

match to a mixture of oxygen and gasoline vapor.- Hide quoted text -

Oh Dear...

So What Effect does all this have on Shouting "EXPLOSION!!" in a
Crowded Theater?

"Ready... AIM... EXPLODE!"

"YOU'RE EXPLODED!!"

"Goddamn `em To Explodey HELL!"

Yelling "THEATRE!!" on Explosion Island...

"Explode Up a Doobie..."

"S'plosion on The Moun-tehn, lahtnin in neh AHR..."

"Explosion Sign Theatre"...

"Explosion Water"...

"Three-Alarm Exposion"...

"I wanna Grow Up To Be an EXPLOSION Man! The EXPLODE Chief!"

"Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Explosion..."

Naughtius "I'm All EXPLODED Up!!" Maximus
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Conflargation vs explosion is ALMOST a case of semantics.
For all practical purposes, a proper mixture of gasoline and
oxygen in a confined space explodes.

The US Navy sent me to bomb school where they taught that TNT produces
a quick rush of gas and not an "explosion" such as you get from other
chemicals. So it is relative. "Explosion" is not a precise term without
some sort of context to define it better than the dictionary does.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Liquids don't burn, Mr. Rat. When you put a match to a pool of gasoline,
you are igniting the vapors emanating from it.

As far as the meaning of the words "semantics," "burn," and "explode,"
as well as the theory and operation of an internal combustion engine,
you're free to do your own research, or defend your own ignorance as you
see fit.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Of course, and nothing I wrote says otherwise. When you put a match to a
pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is the result of the combustion
of the vapors from the surface. When you put a match to an enclosed
mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get a different phenomenon.

As far as the meaning of the words "semantics," "burn," and "explode,"
as well as the theory and operation of an internal combustion engine,
you're free to do your own research, or defend your own ignorance as
you see fit.

It's your claim that the words in use are in contradiction to their
meanings. Thus the burdens of production and proof rest with you. Your
refusal or inability to defend your position is noted.

Machs nixt to me. I'm content to just make fun of you, Mr. Semantics,
depending, of course, on what I mean by "fun."

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I'm still beating my wife.

My understanding of "burn" and "explode" were passed on to me by my
father, a PhD university chemistry professor. You're free to assign your
own definitions to the terms, or pervert the dictionary definitions in
any way you like.

Based on that understanding, and the reading of many texts on
automobiles, I contend that the mixture of gasoline and AIR, which is a
far cry from OXYGEN, that *combusts* in an internal *combustion* engine,
does NOT explode. It uh, combusts. Burns.

"Nicht," I believe, is the spelling you were after in your humorous
slur. But you're as free to rewrite the German language as you are the
English dictionary, I imagine.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote innews

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

depending, of course, on what I mean by "fun."- Hide quoted text -

He has defended his point extremely well. It is you who is way off
base. The best you can do is defend your point by claiming gasoline
vapors 'explode' in the common useage even though it is incorrect.

They also BURN in an IC engine. If you could see a slowed down video
of a gas vapor cloud "exloding" you would see a flame front
progressing through it from the point of ignition.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

English dictionary, I imagine.- Hide quoted text -

"Machs" He will also have to rewrite that. I'd give him a clue but
apparently clues don't work for him

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034

:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on
it and it was dripping on my lawn. *I didnt want the gas
to kill my lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and
tossed a match on the mower deck to burn off the gas.
*Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too, and my
mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my
garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas
and I put the gas cap on tightly. *Why did the gas tank
[...]

,"
[...]

He hasn't defended his point at all. In fact, he hasn't even stated a
point other than to say I'm wrong. I may be wrong; I even admitted to
being wrong once before.

It is you who is way off base.

And you continue the tradition, apparently believing that if you simply
state something, everyone must take it as gospel.

The best you can do is defend your point by claiming gasoline
vapors 'explode' in the common useage even though it is incorrect.

This is equivalent to listening to someone say after a large meal, "I'm
about to burst." and then claiming that the person is incorrect because
he really isn't about to burst.

They also BURN in an IC engine. If you could see a slowed down video
of a gas vapor cloud "exloding" you would see a flame front
progressing through it from the point of ignition.

So I would see a flame front, presumably exerting great pressure,
rapidly expanding from the point of ignition? Imagine that.

For your convenience, I'll repeat my claim:

quote
When you put a match to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is
the result of the combustion of the vapors from the surface. *When you
put a match to an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get
a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.
/quote

But, by all means, continue to tell me I'm wrong because "common usage is
incorrect."

After that, you can claim you're not arguing semantics.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
om...

"
as well as the theory and operation of an internal combustion
engine, you're free to do your own research, or defend your own
ignorance as you see fit.

It's your claim that the words in use are in contradiction to their
meanings. *Thus the burdens of production and proof rest with you.

*Your
refusal or inability to defend your position is noted.

Yes, I'm still beating my wife.

Thanks for sharing. But while I have no idea whether you beat you wife
or not, I certainly can tell bald statements without evidence or
argument.

My understanding of "burn" and "explode" were passed on to me by my
father, a PhD university chemistry professor.

Oh, well. In *that* case, you must be correct. In cyberspace, anyone
can have a "PhD university chemistry professor" for a father.

You're free to assign
your own definitions to the terms, or pervert the dictionary
definitions in any way you like.

I'll repeat my claim for you as well:

quote
When you put a match to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is the
result of the combustion of the vapors from the surface. *When you put a
match to an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get a
[quantitatively] different phenomenon.
/quote

Based on that understanding, and the reading of many texts on
automobiles, I contend that the mixture of gasoline and AIR, which is
a far cry from OXYGEN, that *combusts* in an internal *combustion*
engine, does NOT explode. It uh, combusts. Burns.

And I'll extend the same offer: Please continue to make bald statements
without argument or evidence, and claim that your talk of combusts,
burns, and explodes isn't a semantic argument.

You may also continue to make claims of erudition on your part and on the
part of members of your extended family

"Nicht," I believe, is the spelling you were after in your humorous
slur. But you're as free to rewrite the German language as you are
the English dictionary, I imagine.

Actually the spelling I was after is "nix." It isn't real German of
course, but English slang meaning "it makes no difference." You got the
point that it was supposed to be "humorous," but you still decided to
lecture me on German vocabulary. Amazing. And somehow you've also got
the idea that it's a slur. For something comparable, consider the
British translation of the German motto as "Got mittens."

"Machs" He will also have to rewrite that. I'd give him a clue but
apparently clues don't work for him

You couldn't hand anyone a clue if you had a pair of tongs. But Daddy
was a PhD, and you use emoticons.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 6, 8:56*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Not only do you not have a clue, you can't even tell to whom you are
replying. That post is a mish mash of replies to two different posts.

BTW - insults are usually the sign of a poster who has lost the
debate.

Thanks for playing anyhow, now why don't you go back to school and
learn the difference between explode and burn?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 6, 8:25*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034

:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Okay, tell us, oh wise one, just what is the difference between the
combustion of gasoline vapors in open air and in a compressed state?

You can check with any engineer you like and you will get the same
asnwer - there is none.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 6, 8:25*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034

:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Oh, by the way, I have never claimed I am not arguing semantics. In
fact I basically said it is semantics although not in those terms.

Now back to regular programming. Defend your claim:

When you put a match to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is
the result of the combustion of the vapors from the surface. When you
put a match to an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get
a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.

Yep, I asked for that twice in this post. Wanted to make sure you
didn't miss it.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 8:56*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:7a075188-7bc7-4bb4-89d6-c3

:

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
om...

*
[...]

As irony meters explode everywhere. Or did they combust?

you can't even tell to whom you are
replying. That post is a mish mash of replies to two different posts.

Sorry. One of the posts didn't make it to misc.legal. Deal with it.

BTW - insults are usually the sign of a poster who has lost the
debate.

What? No emoticons to emphasize how clever you are? I've gone back and
looked at my posts in this thread, and while I've made fun of your
seeming inability to advance an arguent (or even to keep to the topic),
I've not offered up any personal insults.

BTW - if you have to declare yourself the winner of the debate, you
usually aren't. (And BTW, don't you just love these acronyms the kids
are all using?)

Thanks for playing anyhow, now why don't you go back to school and
learn the difference between explode and burn?

Well, why have you spent these posts claiming how clever you are instead
of simply demonstrating it? Pray tell us the difference. It doesn't
really matter for the point of the discussion -- see the quoted claim
above -- but why not do it anyway? Maybe Dad can help with the phrasing.

While you're at it, why not post the explanation in German as well.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 8:25*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:c1aaa0e5-0598-4d3e-919f-c5

:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

you get a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.
/quote

But, by all means, continue to tell me I'm wrong because "common
usage is incorrect."

After that, you can claim you're not arguing semantics.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Okay, tell us, oh wise one, just what is the difference between the
combustion of gasoline vapors in open air and in a compressed state?

Who mentioned a compressed state? I merely said enclosed. Are you
claiming there's no difference?

You can check with any engineer you like and you will get the same
asnwer - there is none.

I guess you are.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Then you're wasting everybody's time. Hard to get noticed doing that on
misc.legal. Congratulations.

Now back to regular programming. Defend your claim:

When you put a match to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is
the result of the combustion of the vapors from the surface. When
you put a match to an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen,
you get a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.

Yep, I asked for that twice in this post. Wanted to make sure you
didn't miss it.

Harry K

Are you seriously claiming there's no measurable difference, say in rate
of energy release, expansion of the volume of combustion, or presence of
a shock wave?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ahah, I see I misread it. You _didn't_ say compressed. Makes no
difference as there is still no difference.

I am beginning to think you flunked your physics classes.

BTW - explosives do not have a "flame front" the entire mass detonates
basically simultaneously and is due to a shock (usually), not 'fire'.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

a shock wave?- Hide quoted text -

Yes other than the fact that there is more 'fuel' in the compressed
volume - it is still a combustion, not explosion. Again that is using
the correct, 'technical' terminology or 'semantics' if you will.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 6, 9:22*pm, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 6, 8:56*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:7a075188-7bc7-4bb4-89d6-c3

:

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

read more »- Hide quoted text -

plonk the person who has nothing but insults to offer the
disucussion and refuses to defend his _incorrect_ claims.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:30:35 -0800 (PST), harry k
wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:25Â*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 5, 8:43Â*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
Â*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
Â*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on
it and it was dripping on my lawn. Â*I didnt want the gas
to kill my lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and
tossed a match on the mower deck to burn off the gas.
Â*Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too, and my
mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my
garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas
and I put the gas cap on tightly. Â*Why did the gas tank
explode and burn too? Now my whole lawn is burned up and
ruined. Â*I am really upset. Â*I think the gas tank on th
mower was defective, an
on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer to sue the
manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.
Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll.

Almost surely.

Â*People who know, know that gasoline does not explode.

Wrong. Â*As usual. Â*Liquid gasoline burns; gasoline vapor mix
ed
with air explodes. Â*If the latter weren't true, then
internal combustion engines couldn't use gasoline.

Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get
it to burn at all.

Wrong. Â*As usual. Â*A match flame is surprisingly hot, certai
nly
higher than the temperature at which paper burns, which as
we all know is 451F. Â*Matches don't give off much heat since
they're so small, but gasoline is highly flammable in the
presence of oxygen. Please don't try to confirm this on your
own.

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. Â*It
burn
rapidly. Â*This is the reason the internal combustion engines
runs and does not explode. Â*you are wrong.

I was wrong once.

1967.

March.

First week.

If you'd like to argue that an air/fuel mixture of gasoline
does "NOT" explode, then you want semantics, down the hall,
first door on the left. This is abuse.

Steve is correct, there is no "explosion" involved in the
internal combustion engine. That isn't "semantics," that's using
the correct word.

I love it. Â*This really is the day for irony. Â*It's not "semantics
,"
the poster says, just using the "correct" word.

Well, as long as it isn't semantics.

This thread has largely focused on the differences between the
two phenomena, so this isn't the time and place to use the terms
in a casually interchangeable way.

Which two phenomena? Â*Burning and exploding? Â*You don't say.

But, please, be sure not to define your terms. Â*We wouldn't want
to get into semantics. Â*Let's just say that putting a match to a
pool o
gasoline gets you a quantifiably different phenomenon from putting
a match to a mixture of oxygen and gasoline vapor.

Liquids don't burn, Mr. Rat. When you put a match to a pool of
gasoline, you are igniting the vapors emanating from it.

Of course, and nothing I wrote says otherwise. Â*When you put a match
to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is the result of the
combustion of the vapors from the surface. Â*When you put a match to
an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get a different
phenomenon.

As far as the meaning of the words "semantics," "burn," and
"explode," as well as the theory and operation of an internal
combustion engine, you're free to do your own research, or defend
your own ignorance as you see fit.

It's your claim that the words in use are in contradiction to their
meanings. Â*Thus the burdens of production and proof rest with you. Â*
Your refusal or inability to defend your position is noted.

Machs nixt to me. I'm content to just make fun of you, Mr. Semantics,
depending, of course, on what I mean by "fun."
He has defended his point extremely well.

He hasn't defended his point at all. Â*In fact, he hasn't even stated a
point other than to say I'm wrong. Â*I may be wrong; I even admitted to
being wrong once before.

It is you who is way off base.

And you continue the tradition, apparently believing that if you simply
state something, everyone must take it as gospel.

The best you can do is defend your point by claiming gasoline
vapors 'explode' in the common useage even though it is incorrect.

This is equivalent to listening to someone say after a large meal, "I'm
about to burst." and then claiming that the person is incorrect because
he really isn't about to burst.

They also BURN in an IC engine. Â* If you could see a slowed down video
of a gas vapor cloud "exloding" you would see a flame front
progressing through it from the point of ignition.

So I would see a flame front, presumably exerting great pressure,
rapidly expanding from the point of ignition? Â*Imagine that.

For your convenience, I'll repeat my claim:

quote
When you put a match to a pool of gasoline, the phenomenon you get is
the result of the combustion of the vapors from the surface. Â*When you
put a match to an enclosed mixture of gasoline vapor and oxygen, you get
a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.
/quote

But, by all means, continue to tell me I'm wrong because "common usage is
incorrect."

After that, you can claim you're not arguing semantics.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Okay, tell us, oh wise one, just what is the difference between the
combustion of gasoline vapors in open air and in a compressed state?

You can check with any engineer you like and you will get the same
asnwer - there is none.

Harry K

Speed of burn and rate of pressure rise. Mostly the latter, since
pressure rise in an open space is very low, while in a contained space
it is very high.
In a combustion chamber of FIXED VOLUME the pressure rise is extremely
fast, and detonation can occur (like in an engine running at full
throttle and low speed(lugging).) In this case, the end gasses DO
explode - very violently I might add.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 06:47:14 -0800 (PST), harry k
wrote:

BTW - explosives do not have a "flame front" the entire mass detonates
basically simultaneously and is due to a shock (usually), not 'fire'.

Harry K

Bwhahahahahahahaa!

wrong

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 9:24*pm, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:887bb7a3-9fc1-466c-bed1-7c

:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

oxygen, you get a [quantitatively] different phenomenon.
[...]

Now was that so hard? It's all you really had to say at the first,
really: "I'd like to break in here with an annoying semantic argument
and point out that technically gasoline isn't an explosive." Everyone
would have thanked you profusely, while pointing out that the combustion
of an enclosed gasoline vapor/oxygen mixture qualifies as an explosion,
or at least as a much different characteristic of energy release from the
combustion of (the vapor from a) burning pool of liquid gasoline.

Thank your dad for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 9:35*pm, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:b9cd2e59-748a-4f27-904d-58

:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

presence of a shock wave?- Hide quoted text -

Yes other than the fact that there is more 'fuel' in the compressed
volume - it is still a combustion, not explosion. Again that is using
the correct, 'technical' terminology or 'semantics' if you will.

And again, we'd have all thanked you for your dwelling on the semantics
of the situation, as who doesn't like an "expert" pontificating? Here in
misc.legal we positively love that.

Nevertheless, given the rate of energy release, the resultant shockwave,
etc., the combustion of an enclosed gasoline vapor/oxygen more than
qualifies as an explosion in all but perhaps the most technical sense.

Where did your dad get his PhD?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 9:22*pm, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:62f4f787-1aae-4545-93b7-65

:

On Mar 6, 8:56*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:7a075188-7bc7-4bb4-89d6-c3
:

On Mar 5, 9:19*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
om...

.

[...]

Always your choice, Brave Sir Robin.

the person who has nothing but insults to offer the
disucussion and refuses to defend his _incorrect_ claims.

My claim (which I've quoted several times) is not incorrect. And
although I've had far too good of a time making fun of you, nothing I've
posted has been an insult

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 6, 7:01*am, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:19:40 -0800 (PST), harry k

wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote innews

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

What do you suppose the word explode means?

*...to burst forth with sudden violence or noise from internal energy:
as a: to undergo a rapid chemical or nuclear reaction with the
production of noise, heat, and violent expansion of gases

An explosion is merely rapid oxidation or combustion. Igniting a
gasoline/air mixture matches the definition of "explosion" perfectly.

If you look at a slow-mo of dynamite exploding, you can observe the
same flame front you described above.

Ever see what happens when dust explodes in a factory?- Hide quoted text -

This entire discussion with Mr. Rat is basically semantics. Dynamite
does not have a flame front. Dust does.

Again. TECHNICALLY a gas vapor, contained or not, does not 'explode'
although that _is_ the common term.

Neither you nor him can seem to get that point.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thank your dad for me.- Hide quoted text -

And had you bothered to _read_ what I wrote you would have seen that
that is what I said way back up there.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

wrote:
On Mar 6, 8:25*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote :

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

explode - very violently I might add.- Hide quoted text -

Otherwise known as "ping" which can destroy an engine in short
ordfer. The cause is a secondary ignition point from the planned
one. I have been wondering whether that is an 'explosion' or anothe
example of 'combustion' gone wrong. I don't know.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

Default My lawnmower burned up LOOK AT ALL THE SUCKERS HERE!

SUCKERS!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 6, 7:01*am, wrote:
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 06:19:40 -0800 (PST), harry k

wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2

:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
om...

,
you're free to do your own research, or defend your own
ignorance as you see fit.

It's your claim that the words in use are in contradiction to
their meanings. *Thus the burdens of production and proof rest
with you.

*Your
refusal or inability to defend your position is noted.

Machs nixt to me. I'm content to just make fun of you, Mr.
Semantics, depending, of course, on what I mean by "fun."- Hide
[...]

-

This entire discussion with Mr. Rat is basically semantics.

In other words, for purposes of this thread, "basically" worthless.

Dynamite does not have a flame front. Dust does.

Again. TECHNICALLY a gas vapor, contained or not, does not 'explode'
although that _is_ the common term.

Imagine that!

Neither you nor him can seem to get that point.

Yeah, we get the point. What does Dad have to say about your
pedanticism?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 7, 9:48*am, Deadrat wrote:
harry k wrote
innews:33cff3c7-ce86-4848-a83d-6a

:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

Say hi to Dad. He must be very proud of you.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal

harry k wrote in
:

On Mar 5, 8:43*pm, Deadrat wrote:
Smitty Two wrote
innewsrestwhich-6AF8AB.2034
:

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Smitty Two wrote in
news

In article ,
*Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
om:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
m:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
om...
[...]

. *
[...]

gasses DO explode - very violently I might add.- Hide quoted text -

Otherwise known as "ping" which can destroy an engine in short
ordfer. The cause is a secondary ignition point from the planned
one. I have been wondering whether that is an 'explosion' or anothe
example of 'combustion' gone wrong. I don't know.

Well, here's the solution to the problem. I'll just amend my statement:
A pool of gas will "burn"; an enclosed gasoline vapor/oxygen combo will
experience "combustion gone wrong."

I don't know how misc.legal got along without you. Since so much of the
law turns on semantics, we all hope you stick around.

Harry K