Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.legal
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default My lawnmower burned up

In article ,
Deadrat wrote:

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn
so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower
deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on
fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down
my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I
put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and
burn too? Now my whole lawn is burned up and ruined. I am
really upset. I think the gas tank on th mower was defective,
and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer to sue the manufacturer of
the mower.

Ralph W.
Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll.

Almost surely.

People who know, know that gasoline does not explode.

Wrong. As usual. Liquid gasoline burns; gasoline vapor mixed with
air explodes. If the latter weren't true, then internal combustion
engines couldn't use gasoline.

Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get it to
burn at all.

Wrong. As usual. A match flame is surprisingly hot, certainly
higher than the temperature at which paper burns, which as we all
know is 451F. Matches don't give off much heat since they're so
small, but gasoline is highly flammable in the presence of oxygen.
Please don't try to confirm this on your own.

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns
rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and
does not explode. you are wrong.

I was wrong once.

1967.

March.

First week.

If you'd like to argue that an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does "NOT"
explode, then you want semantics, down the hall, first door on the left.
This is abuse.

Steve is correct, there is no "explosion" involved in the internal
combustion engine. That isn't "semantics," that's using the correct
word. This thread has largely focused on the differences between the two
phenomena, so this isn't the time and place to use the terms in a
casually interchangeable way.