DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   My lawnmower burned up (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112221-re-my-lawnmower-burned-up.html)

Main Man July 4th 05 12:20 PM

My lawnmower burned up

Have a nice 4th of July!

Geo July 4th 05 01:20 PM

Main Man wrote:
Have a nice 4th of July!

In spite of the troll, what could be more American than some dumbass
suing over his own stupidity.

Zorro the Geek July 4th 05 03:46 PM

wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Jon Beaver July 4th 05 04:21 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:45:06 -0500, wrote:

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

You need to ask yourself how the lawn mower was defective, whether it
was being used in the manner intended, and whether the defect was the
foreseeable cause of your damages. If you think a reasonable jury of
ordinary citizens will believe that, then you should sue the
manufacturer and the dealer who sold it to you. But don't mock the
law out of ignorance.

- Jon Beaver

G Henslee July 4th 05 04:35 PM

Jim85CJ wrote:

top posting corrected - go to the bottom

Jon Beaver wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:45:06 -0500, wrote:

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.

snipped a bunch of un-needed text?

Let me get this straight... you threw a lit match on a lawnmower with a
full gas tank and the thing blew up... This is July 1, NOT April 1.

Probably canuck.

Ken Smith July 4th 05 04:51 PM

Jon Beaver wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 01:45:06 -0500, wrote:

[snip]

But don't mock the law out of ignorance.

In a sense, I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of compelling
reasons to mock American law, but ignorance is not among them. :)

Don July 4th 05 05:02 PM

wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Your post is especially interesting to me, because I had a similar problem
with my car. The whole car blew up and set my house on fire besides. I would
just put the whole thing down to experience, except my grandmother was in
the car. Please let me know if you find the right kind of legal help,
because I want to sue that motor car company.

Ernie Klein July 4th 05 05:07 PM

In article ,
Jon Beaver wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:23:55 GMT, Jim85CJ
wrote:

Let me get this straight... you threw a lit match on a lawnmower with a
full gas tank and the thing blew up... This is July 1, NOT April 1.

Yep, that's what he said. Obviously, it wasn't true. But it wasn't a
joke either. It's political satire. He's accusing our legal system of
being incapable of distinguishing between a fire caused by industrial
venality and a fire caused by an idiot. Where perception is reality,
the truth is irrelevant; ignorance is it's own reward; everybody's
entitled to their opinion; etc.

Very true. Have you seen a step ladder lately? You can hardly find the
ladder what with all the warning labels -- mostly warning not to do
things that only an idiot would do. I like to say that you can't buy a
4ft ladder anymore -- there isn't enough room for all the warning
stickers :-)

--
-Ernie-

"There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

Have you done your backup today?

Jeff Wisnia July 4th 05 05:22 PM

Don wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Which reminds me of...

(Sung to the tune of "My Bonnie lies over the ocean.")

My Bonnie looked into the fuel tank,
The depth of its contents to see.
I lighted a match to assist her,
Oh Bring back my Bonnie to me.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

FDR July 4th 05 05:22 PM

wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Don't sue them. Sue the petroleum company that sold the gas. They have
much bigger pockets. Was there any warning by the petroleum manufacturer
that gasoline could cause an explosion? No!

Ralph W.

John Willis July 4th 05 05:28 PM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:46:17 -0700, Jon Beaver
scribbled this interesting note:

everybody's entitled to their opinion; etc.

Correction: Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

G Henslee July 4th 05 07:07 PM

Ernie Klein wrote:

Very true. Have you seen a step ladder lately? You can hardly find the
ladder what with all the warning labels -- mostly warning not to do
things that only an idiot would do.

Those are for the ones they ship to Canada.

jls July 5th 05 01:00 AM

So did your synapse.

Jon Beaver July 5th 05 01:03 AM

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:07:47 GMT, Ernie Klein
wrote:

wrote:

Let me get this straight... you threw a lit match on a lawnmower with a
full gas tank and the thing blew up... This is July 1, NOT April 1.

Yep, that's what he said. Obviously, it wasn't true. But it wasn't a
joke either. It's political satire. He's accusing our legal system of
being incapable of distinguishing between a fire caused by industrial
venality and a fire caused by an idiot. Where perception is reality,
the truth is irrelevant; ignorance is it's own reward; everybody's
entitled to their opinion; etc.

Very true. Have you seen a step ladder lately? You can hardly find the
ladder what with all the warning labels -- mostly warning not to do
things that only an idiot would do. I like to say that you can't buy a
4ft ladder anymore -- there isn't enough room for all the warning
stickers :-)

People want a simple world, but we've already eaten the apple. We
don't want people suing because of their own negligence, but neither
do we want people deliberately preying on the predictable negligence
of others. This legal balancing act must look pretty ridiculous to
those on either side who can't see the other side of the problem. And
when you are making a political statement, it's sometimes useful to
pretend there is no other side.

- Jon Beaver

Gordon Burditt July 5th 05 02:48 AM

Very true. Have you seen a step ladder lately? You can hardly find the
ladder what with all the warning labels -- mostly warning not to do
things that only an idiot would do.

They need to assemble a complete set of warning labels (likely in
China) *FIRST*, before putting the ladder into it, so they don't
ever have a ladder without the warning labels. Then some idiot
tries to climb up the stack of warning labels, it collapses, and
they sue. So now they need a "THIS IS NOT A LADDER" warning label
on the labels, to be removed when they put the ladder in.

Oh, yes, the warning labels completely cover the ladder, so you
can't tell whether the metal has rusted or the wood has rotted (or
if, in fact, the actual ladder has been stolen) without trying it
first.

I like to say that you can't buy a
4ft ladder anymore -- there isn't enough room for all the warning
stickers :-)

Just wait until they require the warning labels in all languages
in use anywhere (including Klingon, ebonics, 97 varieties of
baby talk, and just in case they show up early, Vulcan).

Has anyone seen a warning label on a ladder yet: "WARNING: REPAID LEGAL
IS A SCAM, consult competent legal counsel before using this product".

"REPAID LEGAL" is a ficticious scam, any resemblance to any actual
scam advertised in this newsgroup is purely coincidental.

Gordon L. Burditt

Ernie Klein July 5th 05 03:01 AM

In article ,
Jon Beaver wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:07:47 GMT, Ernie Klein
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But you have to admit that warning labels that say to the effect that:

"This label was place here, not for your safety, but to cover our butts,
just in case you are dumber than a rock, in which case you probably
won't read the label anyway. So when you fall and land on your head
(which couldn't possibly do any harm), and decide to sue us because you
attempted to climb to the top of the chair, which was on top the the
ladder, which only had 3 of it legs balanced on two of your second story
stairs (with 24 comic books wedged under the 4th leg), we can show the
jury that we anticipated this use of our product and warned you not to
do this.";

have gone overboard. There only purpose is "cover their ass". In many
cases, over-warning is worse than no warning at all. Too much input is
ignored and becomes no input in reality.

Companies do it because too many juries have taken the position that you
have to be protected against yourself, no matter how stupid you are.

Stormin Mormon July 5th 05 04:35 PM

Subject: Problem with my Electric Balls Rotator
Date: Thursday, January 15, 2004 11:44 AM

I recently bought the "Ronco" electric balls rotator. The
manufacturer said this thing will rotate my balls 20 times every
minute at the slow speed, and 180 times every minute at fast speed. I
thought this would be a worthwhile investment, since my balls were
just hanging there getting no use.

I clamped it to my shaft as directed. I connected it to the outlet,
and it began rotating. I adjusted it for a medium rotation speed and
it worked well for the first couple minutes. Suddenly it began
increasing in speed and within a few minutes it was operating at over
1200 rotations per minute, and the rotation meter was pegged and the
word "OVERLOAD" was flashing on the digital readout. That's when the
whole thing went crazy. My balls became entangled around each other,
and the left ball ended up on the right and the right on the left.
What a mess, and quite painful too. I pulled the plug and called
customer service.

I spoke with the main man, (Ron Ronco - company president). He told
me to push the button labelled "info", which I did. Then he asked me
to give him the code numbers, which I did. He said that the numbers
indicate that my balls are too large and too heavy for normal use, and
that considering this, it is normal for the machanics in the machine
to over compensate and increase speed. He told me that my balls do
not fit in the "normal range" for size and weight, and that there is
nothing he can do for me, and I will just have to use the machine as
is. I asked for a refund, and was told that they will not give
refunds due to personal physical abnormalities. I am really angry
about this, but it appears there is little I can do other than sue the
company and/or file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I am asking if anyone might offer a means to change the mechanics in
this device by possibly modifying the voltage or power consumption to
compensate for my supposed abnormality. I'd also like to know if any
of you men who are using one of these devices are having any problems
with it?

Jerry Atrick

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon July 5th 05 04:35 PM

From: "David S. Rubin"
Subject: NJJF: NJJF: Top 10 Stupid Inventions
Date: Thursday, January 01, 2004 11:57 PM

[No, I don't know if these are real or not. If they are, I'd assume
that they were invented as gags]

Top 10 Stupid Inventions

10. Black Highlighter
9. Braille Driver's Manual
8. Clear Correction Fluid
7. Fake Rhinestones
6. Inflatable Dart Board
5. Mesh Umbrella
4. Motorcycle Air Conditioner
3. Sugar-Coated Toothpaste
2. Super-glue Post-it Notes

AND THE NUMBER ONE STUPID INVENTION?
1. The system that allows you to report power failures via the
Internet

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon July 5th 05 04:35 PM

I did manage to light up a lawn mower, one time. Wouldn't start, so I
drained some water out of the carb. Then took the spark plug out, and give
it a pull to see if it was sparking. It was. And there was gasoline in the
water.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon July 5th 05 04:43 PM

From: "Arroyo"
Subject: toilet flush
Date: Thursday, October 16, 2003 10:05 AM

**** A fairly long post, but worth it!****
Found this on a mssg board somewhere, thought it was barely relevent!

Austin American Statesman, Sun June 10, 2001
by Dave Barry, Miami Herald.

TASTEFULNESS ADVISORY:
Do not read this if you are eating, or plan to eat ever again. Thank
You.
Recently I watched as a professional engineer attempted to flush
fermented bean curd down a toilet.

This was not some fun engineer prank. This was a laboratory test
conducted at the research center of the National Association of Home
Builders, which is trying to develope a laboratory test for toilet
performance that simulates the challenges faced by toilets in the real
world.

This research is necessary because Americans are unhappy with the
wimpy toilets we are now required to buy. We yearn for the glory years
when our toilets we among the most powerful on Earth---when the
Standard American household commode could, in a single flush, as
proven in actual tests, suck down a mature sheep.

(Before I get alot of mail from angry animal-rights activists, let me
stress these tests did NOT use an actual sheep.That would be barbaric.
They used two goats tied together.)

But then in 1992, the U.S. Congress---instead of passing a law that
would actually benefit ordinary Americans, such as mandatory death
penalty for telemarketers---decided to cripple our toilets.
Specifically, Congress passed a law limiting new toilets to 1.6
gallons of water per flush, less than half of what the old toilets
used. In terms of power and studliness, out toilets went from being
the Baltimore Ravens to Barry Manilow.

(Before i get a lot of mail from angry Barry Manilow fans, let me
stress that, as a musician and performer, HE sounds like two goats
tied together.)

The new toilets were supposed to save water. And they work OK when it
comes to disposing of what is euphemistically referred to as "No 1."
The problem is that, when it comes to what is euphemistically referred
to as "Geraldo." They tend to clog and must be flushed repeatedly,
which actually wastes water.

(Before I get alot of mail from angry Geraldo fans, let me stress that
ther ARE no Geraldo fans.)

So anyway, the plumbing and home-building industries have gotten many
complaints about the new toilets. That's why the National Association
of Homebuilders has been trying to come up with a real-world toilet
test, so we'll know which, if any, toilets actually work, so consumers
can buy these and get rid of the bad toilets, which will then be
dropped from bombers onto the U.S. Capitol.

OK, that last part is a fantasy (for now). But the builder's group
really is doing serious toilet research, as i learned when I was given
a tour of its Maryland research facility by Larry Zarker, Chuck Arnold
and Tom Kenney. They showed me a laboratory where test toilets are
mounted on a frame; the procedure is, you put your test material into
the bowl, flush, then see how much makes it through to a collection
basket underneath.

(Kids:This would be a GREAT science fair project!)

Kenney first showed me the current test standard in which the toilet
is supposed to flush 100 little plastic balls. There are two problems
with this test. One is that anyone who emits anything like 100 little
plastic balls does'nt need a better toilet, he needs immediate medical
care. The other problem is that the test is WAY too easy. "Any toilet
in the world can pass it," said Kenney.

He then showed me some of the tougher, more-realistic tests being
concidered. These involve various materials, including wads of paper
and sponges, both weighted and un-weighted, to simulate what the NAHB
refers to as "sinkers" and "floaters."

But the most impressive test by far is the fermented bean curd, which
Kenney said is made, using a secret recipe, by the Toto toilet company
of japan, a world leader in commode innovation. I mean, this stuff
looks EXACTLY like the real Geraldo. I myself would not touch it. I
watched in fascinated horror as Kenney boldly grasped a mass of it
and, with his bare hands, formed 10 incredibly lifelike Puff Daddies.
Needless to say, these clogged the test toilet.

I was deeply moved by this experience . I came away convinced that
these engineers will, someday, develope a test that will enable us, as
a nation, to once again have faith in our commodes. When that day
comes, I want to shake the hands of the courageous researchers who
made it possible. But first they have to wash up.

~^Johnny^~ July 5th 05 04:48 PM

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Chris July 8th 05 02:46 PM

They'll probably throw the case out since you didn't use 'smart
matches' where the onboard processor forces the match to the OFF
position when it encounters a gas tank.

[email protected] July 8th 05 03:03 PM

I think the gas tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my
lawyer to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

You might get lucky trying, but it depends on the tort laws in Canada.

Tony Hwang March 5th 09 03:54 AM

My lawnmower burned up

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Bert Byfield March 5th 09 04:54 AM

My lawnmower burned up

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my
lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the
mower deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank
started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also
burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that
spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.

richard March 5th 09 05:01 AM

My lawnmower burned up

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:54:45 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it was
dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden shed.
I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas cap on
tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my whole
lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think the gas
tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling my lawyer
to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll. People who know, know that gasoline does not
explode. Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get
it to burn at all.

richard March 5th 09 05:05 AM

My lawnmower burned up

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 22:54:53 -0600, Bert Byfield
wrote:

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my
lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the
mower deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank
started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also
burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that
spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.

Only in Hollywood.
On the tv show "mythbusters" they proved this.
A standard propane blow torch wasn't enough to cause gasoline to
explode.
They also shot at a car's gas tank that was full, with a high powered
rifle and all it did was puncture a pair of holes in it.

Deadrat March 5th 09 06:03 AM

My lawnmower burned up

richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and it
was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my lawn so I
quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the mower deck to
burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank started on fire too,
and my mower exploded and burned up, also burning down my garden
shed. I only wanted to burn off that spilled gas and I put the gas
cap on tightly. Why did the gas tank explode and burn too? Now my
whole lawn is burned up and ruined. I am really upset. I think
the gas tank on th mower was defective, and on Tuesday I am calling
my lawyer to sue the manufacturer of the mower.

Ralph W.

Tuesday is the best day to call lawyers.

Hmmm,
Fool's way of learning a lesson. Or poor troll.
Better call a lawyer who has same IQ as yours, LOL!

Most likely troll.

Almost surely.

People who know, know that gasoline does not explode.

Wrong. As usual. Liquid gasoline burns; gasoline vapor mixed with air
explodes. If the latter weren't true, then internal combustion engines
couldn't use gasoline.

Also that you need a higher temperature than a match to get it to burn
at all.

Wrong. As usual. A match flame is surprisingly hot, certainly higher
than the temperature at which paper burns, which as we all know is 451F.
Matches don't give off much heat since they're so small, but gasoline is
highly flammable in the presence of oxygen. Please don't try to confirm
this on your own.

Deadrat March 5th 09 06:05 AM

My lawnmower burned up

richard wrote in
:

wrote:

I filled the gas on my lawnmower and spilled some gas on it and
it was dripping on my lawn. I didnt want the gas to kill my
lawn so I quickly put on the gas cap and tossed a match on the
mower deck to burn off the gas. Somehow the gas in the tank
started on fire too, and my mower exploded and burned up, also
burning down my garden shed. I only wanted to burn off that
spilled gas and I put the gas cap on tightly. Why did the gas

Kerosene burns. Gasoline explodes. Read the warning labels.

Only in Hollywood.
On the tv show "mythbusters" they proved this.
A standard propane blow torch wasn't enough to cause gasoline to
explode.
They also shot at a car's gas tank that was full, with a high powered
rifle and all it did was puncture a pair of holes in it.

That's because the tank was full -- not much oxygen in the closed tank.
They should have tried it with an "empty" gas tank.

Tony Hwang March 5th 09 06:18 AM

My lawnmower burned up

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I wonder how car engines work????????

The Daring Dufas[_6_] March 5th 09 06:45 AM

My lawnmower burned up

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Darn, I wish all products were manufactured to be
as dangerous and deadly as possible. That way all
the stupid animals in the heard would succumb to
natural selection, hopefully before they can breed.

TDD

foad[_2_] March 5th 09 07:04 AM

My lawnmower burned up

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

the stupid animals in the heard

Fans of irony take note.

Steve Barker[_2_] March 5th 09 01:38 PM

My lawnmower burned up

Deadrat wrote:
richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns
rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and
does not explode. you are wrong.

steve

richard March 5th 09 01:49 PM

My lawnmower burned up

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 06:03:03 GMT, Deadrat wrote:

richard wrote in
:

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Not true. On the tv show they experimented with various ways to cause
gasoline to explode. Including simple matches, cigarettes and even a
propane torch. They found gas requires a temperature of 800 degrees to
ignite. A cigarette only produces 600 degrees.

The reason gas "explodes" in an internal combustion engine is due to
the fact that the gas is vaporized and compressed. In reality, it
still doesn't explode, it is the spark from the spark plug which
causes it to explode.

If gasoline were that easy to explode, you would not have it in your
car.

Diesel, OTOH, does explode on it's own when properly compressed, thus,
no spark plug is required.

In either case, it is not the fuel itself that igntes, but rather, the
vapors of. As there is now a higher concentration of oxygen to the
fuel.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of videos of various types where fuel is
on the surface of the water and burning brightly? So how come it never
explodes?

Kurt Ullman March 5th 09 01:52 PM

My lawnmower burned up

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns
rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and
does not explode. you are wrong.

Well technically it can. This is largely the concept behind the
fuel-air bomb or vapor cloud explosions. Of course, your overall point
within the confines of the internal combustion engine in your mower, is
valid. Unless the OP did some VERY serious tinkering with the mower
before hand (g).

Steve Barker[_2_] March 5th 09 02:07 PM

My lawnmower burned up

wrote:

Zorro the Geek wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

It doesn't "explode" at all. It is a rapid burning, not an explosion.

richard March 5th 09 02:10 PM

My lawnmower burned up

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:52:29 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Barker wrote:

even an air/fuel mixture of gasoline does NOT explode. It burns
rapidly. This is the reason the internal combustion engines runs and
does not explode. you are wrong.

Well technically it can. This is largely the concept behind the
fuel-air bomb or vapor cloud explosions. Of course, your overall point
within the confines of the internal combustion engine in your mower, is
valid. Unless the OP did some VERY serious tinkering with the mower
before hand (g).

In this lawnmower incident, which is more common than you think, what
people call an explosion is more than likely a "fireball" effect.
Where you have a small opening in whcih the fumes gather, the fumes
ignite and are pushed out of that little hole. Which is exactly how a
rocket works.

Search for information on "B.L.E.V.E." and you will soon find out how
various fuels ignite and explode and why they are dangerous.

Boiling
Liquids
Evaporating
Vapors