Cubby

Default Electric Ball or Gate Valve?

Hiya folks,
I am looking to the collective wisdom for some advice. I've got a
cabin in the woods that we visit every so often. When we leave, we
shut off the water and drain the lines via two hand operated valves
(one turns the water off, the other opens up the lines). They are not
in an ideal location and there really is no where to move them to that
would be better. I got to thinking about using electrically actuated
valves and wondering if anyone has any words to say about these. I'd
need one that would be Normally Open and one that would be Normally
Closed in the event of power failure. I see Grainger carries some but
was wondering if there are other recommendations out there. Thanks
very much,
jlc

Jake

Cubby wrote:
Hiya folks,
I am looking to the collective wisdom for some advice. I've got a
cabin in the woods that we visit every so often. When we leave, we
shut off the water and drain the lines via two hand operated valves
(one turns the water off, the other opens up the lines). They are not
in an ideal location and there really is no where to move them to that
would be better. I got to thinking about using electrically actuated
valves and wondering if anyone has any words to say about these. I'd
need one that would be Normally Open and one that would be Normally
Closed in the event of power failure. I see Grainger carries some but
was wondering if there are other recommendations out there. Thanks
very much,
jlc

Asco ball valves should be fine up to about 1 1/2". After that I'd
consider gate valves, which the actuators are a bit more $$.

Jake
Cubby

Thanks Jake. They've got a local distributer so I'll give them a call
on Tuesday. Cheers, jlc

Mark

Cubby wrote:
Thanks Jake. They've got a local distributer so I'll give them a call
on Tuesday. Cheers, jlc

You may want to think carefully about not being able to turn the water
on during a power failure. You may want to add a hand controlled
override so you can get water if you need to during a power failure.

Mark

Cubby

Oh I plan to. Our power supply is actually pretty good here with the
odd power bumps but it's definitely a good idea to plan for the worst.

I guess my biggest question at this point is whether these valves come
in different varieties meaning, do they come in both Normally Open or
Normally Closed configurations in the event of a power failure? I
would like to make these switch activated....turn one switch on and the
drain valve closes. Turn on the other switch and the main water valve
opens to service the house. When I would leave, I would turn off the
main valve and turn on the drain valve. I also notice these things
aren't cheap! Seem to run around $250.00 each! Ahh well, the cost
of convenience I suppose.
Cheers,
cc

No

You may find something here http://www.smarthome.com/ for less than
grangers. May come as part of an automatic sprinkler kit or some other
thing. Lots of neat goodies there.
oups.com...