Stormin Mormon

Default Penny Toss (building a carnival game)

In July the church is having an outdoor picnic. Our ward (congregation) has
been asked to make a "penny toss" game which will be used for an entire two
hours. Though, if it's a goodun, it will be probably folded up, and used for
later fairs and such.

That's as much information as I have, a "penny toss". I volunteered to make
such a doodad. Figured you'd done something like this for the cub scouts.
Any ideas come to mind?

I'm thinking to make some kind of sort of like a kitchen counter. With a
wall in back. The goal is to bounce a penny off the back wall, and make it
go through a hole in the counter. When it falls through the hole, it should
make a nice loud clank or clunk, which indicates a hit. Real early think
stages. Anyone have any ideas?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Philip Lewis

Big sheet of cardboard with a design painted upon it.
Have a few holes in it for "prizes".

In painting the design, perhaps you can think of biblical references.
Good samatian, Judas's 30 pieces of silver (make it to the object is
to *not* get it into the bag), Ceaser's taxes (Mark 12:17), Widow's
taxes (mark 12:41-44).

How about a "balance" game with two teams.
They each throw into their own cup/bowl/etc and the first to tip the
scales past a point on their side gets to split the amount in the
cups. (the "house" gets everything that didn't make it into a cup.)

Perhaps you could make a plinko like board with pegs.
The bottom slot would have one or two holes marked "charity",
"church". Those are the "winning holes". Mark the "losing" holes with
"Sloth", "Greed", "Gluttony", etc.

For the signal mechanism, funnel the penny into a location with two
wires that connect to a low voltage circuit controling a buzzer.
(piezo, or perhaps a relay set to switch itself- parts should be
cheap at radio shack)

Other things to consider:

Design the game so that loosing coinage is removed from the playing
field quickly. For example, if you use your counter, make the surface
sloped so that they slide into a collection bin.

Set up several boards, and only have one player per board.... That
way, it's clear who won.

Have limits on how many times someone can win per day.

If appropriate, use different "throw" lines for kids/teens/adults.

Want to be more biblical? Call it a Denaria toss.

good luck!

(I'm starting to think of what i could build for our community fair now.

--
be safe.
flip

Philip Lewis

another source of ideas:
http://data.opi.state.mt.us/bills/mca/23/6/23-6-104.htm

(see how much time you've made me waste! (no not all day, but several
couples of minutes

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

Les and Gina

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
In July the church is having an outdoor picnic. Our ward (congregation)
has
been asked to make a "penny toss" game which will be used for an entire
two
hours. Though, if it's a goodun, it will be probably folded up, and used
for
later fairs and such.

How about a bucket, turned upside down. fasten/glue a china/glass plate
to bottom (now facing up) of bucket. Have people toss pennies onto plate.
If penny stays on plate, they win a prize. Make a challenging, but not
impossible, distance to toss from. You could have multiple plate/bucket
targets so more than one person can play at a time, or set at different
distances.

Les

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:
In July the church is having an outdoor picnic. Our ward (congregation) has
been asked to make a "penny toss" game

Waste of time. Put up a life size target of Brigham Young and Joe Smith
and let the sheeple shoot paint balls at them for $1 a shot.

--
Learn The Truth About Mormonism
http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/mormon.htm

Colbyt

emailed and posted.

[...]

I did not build the table. I did operate the booth for a couple of years at
our church social when I was a teenager. It was a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood
with about 12" legs. It sat in a booth with about a 3 foot backset to the
tossing rails on 3 sides. No leaning past X amount was one of the rules.

Compared to what you mentioned our table was really simple. Think
checkerboard with the squares a tad larger than the coin to be tossed. A
coin inside any square wins. Selected squares, colored differently have a
higher payout. I think we had one one dollar square in the center (this was
40 years ago).

I think the payout was something like:
coin in any square earns 5 times.
Red earns 10 times, I think this an X pattern
blue earns 20 times, I think this was a big diamond around the center.
single center square earns 100 times.

Now days I would think a nickel would be about the minimum I would go for.
That would be for a friendly game.

I know I counted and rolled 6500 pennies that day. That was the net after
the payout for about a 6 hour function.Everyone was amazed that such a
simple thing brought in so much money. The win a 100 silver dollars only
netted $200.

I can ramble so more if you have questions.

Colbyt

Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 01:28 PM
Building an Extension (Preparation Stage) Andrew UK diy 7 December 29th 03 11:48 PM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 03:54 PM
Lack of building permit donald girod Home Repair 12 July 7th 03 11:13 PM