Scott

Default Help: Noise @ Night

I live in a 39 story condo building, my unit is on the 36th floor. The
building is 3-years old. Over the past three weeks, we have been awake
every night at approximately the same time due to some knocking noises in
the walls.

The noise is hard to explain, because I don't know what is the original
noise and what is the echo, but a knocking noise is probably the most
accurate. The noises are not constant, they come and go almost randomly
(lasting from 5secs to 30secs with breaks of various lengths in between).
The noise usually starts between 2am and 3am, and can last for up to 3
hours. It sometimes happens during the day, but always happens at night.

Property management is stumped, so I was hoping I could get some advice from
this newsgroup... We need our sleep!

Thanks for any help -

No

Weird if it just started. My first thought would be water draining but that
couldn't be if it just started. Could it be something loose on the exterior
facade that is blowing in the wind? See if the sound coincides with wind.
Could a bird have nested somewhere? An owl maybe?

"Scott" wrote in message
I live in a 39 story condo building, my unit is on the 36th floor. The
building is 3-years old. Over the past three weeks, we have been awake
every night at approximately the same time due to some knocking noises in
the walls.

The noise is hard to explain, because I don't know what is the original
noise and what is the echo, but a knocking noise is probably the most
accurate. The noises are not constant, they come and go almost randomly
(lasting from 5secs to 30secs with breaks of various lengths in between).
The noise usually starts between 2am and 3am, and can last for up to 3
hours. It sometimes happens during the day, but always happens at night.

Property management is stumped, so I was hoping I could get some advice
from
this newsgroup... We need our sleep!

Thanks for any help -

Scott

So far the noises have happened with/without wind, and we have checked all
of the ductwork that vents outside (no birds)...

You mentioned water draining... Could it be that something has blocked a
drain somewhere in the walls?

-Scott

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Sacramento Dave

"Scott" wrote in message
I live in a 39 story condo building, my unit is on the 36th floor. The
building is 3-years old. Over the past three weeks, we have been awake
every night at approximately the same time due to some knocking noises in
the walls.

The noise is hard to explain, because I don't know what is the original
noise and what is the echo, but a knocking noise is probably the most
accurate. The noises are not constant, they come and go almost randomly
(lasting from 5secs to 30secs with breaks of various lengths in between).
The noise usually starts between 2am and 3am, and can last for up to 3
hours. It sometimes happens during the day, but always happens at night.

Property management is stumped, so I was hoping I could get some advice

from
this newsgroup... We need our sleep!

Thanks for any help -

It could be a water problem, Late at night not much water is being used

Thermal expansion on the hot water side may cause the noise from the
expansion of the hot water. Next time you hear the noise try turning on the
hot water, maybe let it run low in a room you can't hear it in see if noise
stops. What your trying to do is relive some pressure.But I would think in a
building this size they would of accounted for this. Do the other neighbors
hear the noise? I would check with tenants above you, see if they hear it
could be equipment on roof. Any ghost sightings? might need exorcism.

No

"Scott" wrote in message
So far the noises have happened with/without wind, and we have checked all
of the ductwork that vents outside (no birds)...

You mentioned water draining... Could it be that something has blocked a
drain somewhere in the walls?

Not likely - The sound of rushing water in a drain pipe in a wall is a
typical complaint in new residential construction. The sound is there from
day one. In your case, something has changed. Either something was added or
broke.

Added - birds, rodents, neighbors, new or upgraded hvac components,
plumbing, appliances, etc.
Broke - HVAC equipment, appliances, etc.

Dave suggested thermal expansion. I like that idea. Are you in a climate
where you still need heat at night? Maybe for a little bit? Is your heat
baseboard hot water? Those popes can make noise when warming up or cooling
down. Could be your neighbors pipes you are hearing too.

Scott

We have checked with the neighbours, and they have not heard anything... As
for the heat at night, we rarely dip below 70-75 at night so the heat is not
triggered.

Thanks for your help!

"No" wrote in message ...
"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Scott

I have tried running the hot and then the cold water during the noises.
Nothing seems to make an impact. We have checked with neighbours, and they
have heard nothing (likely meaning that the noise is somewhere within our
walls).

-Scott

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Scott wrote:
I live in a 39 story condo building, my unit is on the 36th floor. The
building is 3-years old. Over the past three weeks, we have been awake
every night at approximately the same time due to some knocking noises in
the walls.

The noise is hard to explain, because I don't know what is the original
noise and what is the echo, but a knocking noise is probably the most
accurate. The noises are not constant, they come and go almost randomly
(lasting from 5secs to 30secs with breaks of various lengths in between).
The noise usually starts between 2am and 3am, and can last for up to 3
hours. It sometimes happens during the day, but always happens at night.

Property management is stumped, so I was hoping I could get some advice from
this newsgroup... We need our sleep!

Thanks for any help -

My first thought living in a 39 story condo would be a headboard.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Sacramento Dave

My first thought living in a 39 story condo would be a headboard.
Respectfully, CL Gilbert

That dose make more sense than my heat expansion or Ghost theory. Hmmmm OH
YEA if this room is rocking the walls are knocking.

Doug Kanter

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
[...]

I think your theory wins the grand prize. :-)

Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners [email protected] Home Repair 15 June 16th 05 04:30 PM
help me figure out this noise Michael Dauria Home Repair 3 April 21st 05 02:02 PM
Artisan saw noise Dave W Woodworking 2 January 29th 05 02:11 PM
Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 10:09 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM