Dan Shulman

Default Basement water infiltration, suggestions?

Hi all,

I am having some water infiltration, not sure if it's through the wall or up
from the floor, it is a small amount (a pint at most), and only during the
hardest rains. There is evidence of previous water damage (i.e. mold), but
that seems to be minor. I have heard a lot about various methods of
mitigation, including french drains, installing a sump pump (it's a 1928
house, I think before sumps/floor drains), excavating/reparging,
landscaping, etc. I have consulted with Mid-Atlantic Water proofing (any
comments on them??) I was wondering if people here have experience in this
or thoughts on what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Washington, D.C.

Dan Shulman wrote:

Hi all,

I am having some water infiltration, not sure if it's through the wall or up
from the floor, it is a small amount (a pint at most), and only during the
hardest rains. There is evidence of previous water damage (i.e. mold), but
that seems to be minor. I have heard a lot about various methods of
mitigation, including french drains, installing a sump pump (it's a 1928
house, I think before sumps/floor drains), excavating/reparging,
landscaping, etc. I have consulted with Mid-Atlantic Water proofing (any
comments on them??) I was wondering if people here have experience in this
or thoughts on what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Washington, D.C.

First check all around the outside of the house. Be sure water is being drained
away, or at least not toward a wall. A little well placed dirt may solve the
problem. Other ideas will follow:-))))

LB

I've had a few wet basements, come to think of it, all of them were
wet. A pint of water in a 77 year-old basement is enviable. Not to
blather but there's many potential causes and remediations, so many
that my main piece of advice is to discuss the matter with multiple (3
?) waterproofers.

The causes range all over the place, for example, your ground sloping
toward the house instead of away, your neighbor put in a sump pump and
is routing all there water towards you, your gutters are clogged, etc.
If you clear up all the obvious things like that it does come down to
sump pump(s) and drain systems. My brother had this done some time
back though and now his basement wall (concrete block) is starting to
buckle in, so there's still quite a bit of hydraulic pressure.

The other option is to accept that your basement is in the 99th
percentile of dryness for old houses and just accept it, which is what
I did.

Joseph Meehan

Dan Shulman wrote:
Hi all,

I am having some water infiltration, not sure if it's through the
wall or up from the floor, it is a small amount (a pint at most), and
only during the hardest rains. There is evidence of previous water
damage (i.e. mold), but that seems to be minor. I have heard a lot
about various methods of mitigation, including french drains,
installing a sump pump (it's a 1928 house, I think before sumps/floor
drains), excavating/reparging, landscaping, etc. I have consulted
with Mid-Atlantic Water proofing (any comments on them??) I was
wondering if people here have experience in this or thoughts on what
to do.
Thanks in advance,

Dan
Washington, D.C.

Look outside for your answer. The soil around your home must slope away
from your home on all sides; ideally 10-20 feet. All downs pouts must be
directed away from the foundation. Make sure this is done first.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

At my house in particular, we had same problem, signs of water
infiltration over the years. The previouse owners had almost taken care
of the problem by doing a few common sense things. The first thing they
did was install new gutter system. The second thing they did was
regrade the exterior landscape. The third thing they did was install a
Concrete walkway around the house with a gentle slope away from the
house. These three things almost entirely fixed all the problems.
Unfortunately we had same problem you do, which was once in a while
during a hard rain or watering the lawn near the house, caused a very
small infiltration of water at one side of the basement, always in the
same place. Opon thinking more about this I noted that the grass on
that side of the house was of poor quality, not growing well and in a
very sandy soil. We rototilled the soil to loosen it up and dug it out
for about 18 inches deep. Replaced with a good top soil, grew new lush
grass. This seems to have solved the problem. Zero water for over a
year now. The problem in our case was the grass would not absorb the
water penetration. Then the water would get down into the sandy soil,
follow a tree root to the edge of our basement, where it had a natural
underground "spring" directly to the edge of the foundation. Hope some
of this helps you to at least think of the different things than can
help cause your problems.

Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM