Texas Yankee

Default removing old countertop backsplash

I think I can manage replacing my worn kitchen countertops - the countertops
should come off of the underlying cabinets, remove some screws maybe - but
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the backsplash removed from
the wall without tearing away the underlying wallboard - I'm assuming that
the backsplash is liquid-nailed to the wallboard - any suggestions? Thanks!

G Henslee

Texas Yankee wrote:
I think I can manage replacing my worn kitchen countertops - the countertops
should come off of the underlying cabinets, remove some screws maybe - but
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the backsplash removed from
the wall without tearing away the underlying wallboard - I'm assuming that
the backsplash is liquid-nailed to the wallboard - any suggestions? Thanks!

Sometimes the drywall paper peels off with the b/s if it's glued. Fact
of life. Can't be helped. Depending upon what you're going back with
for a splash will determine if you need to replace the drywall.
Texas Yankee

Thanks - I'll probably replace the existing backsplash with something very
similar - same size, same laminate material - assuming that the drywall
paper peels off when I remove the old backsplash, what type of prep do I
have to do before putting up the new laminate backsplash? If the wallboard
comes off in chunks with the old laminate backsplash, then do I need to
piece in replacement wallboard before putting up the new backsplash? Thanks
again!

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Texas Yankee wrote:
I think I can manage replacing my worn kitchen countertops - the

countertops
should come off of the underlying cabinets, remove some screws maybe -

but
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the backsplash removed

from
the wall without tearing away the underlying wallboard - I'm assuming

that
the backsplash is liquid-nailed to the wallboard - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sometimes the drywall paper peels off with the b/s if it's glued. Fact
of life. Can't be helped. Depending upon what you're going back with
for a splash will determine if you need to replace the drywall.

G Henslee

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thanks - I'll probably replace the existing backsplash with something very
similar - same size, same laminate material - assuming that the drywall
paper peels off when I remove the old backsplash, what type of prep do I
have to do before putting up the new laminate backsplash? If the wallboard
comes off in chunks with the old laminate backsplash, then do I need to
piece in replacement wallboard before putting up the new backsplash? Thanks
again!

If it's just some of the paper that comes off I wouldn't sweat it.
Install the new splash over it, no harm no foul. But it would be best
to replace the drywall if it's broken.

Texas Yankee

Damm, you guys are good! THANKS!!

g.com...

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Texas Yankee wrote:
I think I can manage replacing my worn kitchen countertops - the

countertops
should come off of the underlying cabinets, remove some screws

maybe -
but
I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the backsplash

removed
from
the wall without tearing away the underlying wallboard - I'm assuming

that
the backsplash is liquid-nailed to the wallboard - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sometimes the drywall paper peels off with the b/s if it's glued. Fact
of life. Can't be helped. Depending upon what you're going back with
for a splash will determine if you need to replace the drywall.

Repair a formica countertop Marc Home Repair 3 April 27th 05 02:18 PM
removing tile mastic from plaster walls Jane Home Repair 5 February 23rd 05 01:12 PM
Kitchen countertop extending into garden window? paulaner Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 06:16 PM
Removing Caulk PC Woodworking 2 August 2nd 03 04:29 PM
Need Advice on Mounting a Piece of Granite in Countertop Tom Sikes Home Repair 4 July 21st 03 12:49 AM