Marc

Default Repair a formica countertop

I have a customer that wanted an adjustment made to her formica countertop.
I made the adjustment and when I went to screw the countertop back on, I
realized that whoever put the screws in used long screws and simple
carefully screwed them in just enough to hold the countertop in place. I
started to screw it back in, went too far, and started to lift the formica
finish on the countertop. I cracked the surface but didn't drill through
the top. I stopped just in time.

Now how do I fix it?

Matt

If you cracked it, I don't think it can be fixed, other than maybe
laying another sheet of formica on top of the whole countertop, which
whould likely look like crap.

Ask the customer what would make them satisfied.

Is the crack really that bad? Jeezy Weezy - it's formica, not granite.

Maybe you can "fix" it by telling them you screwed up, you are sorry,
ask them what would make them happy, ad offer to knock some $$ of the
bill.

Most people are pretty forgiving if you are honest with em.

IMO.

m Ransley

You screwed up, pun intended. You know the answer you can`t repair it.
Did you use a screw gun, call your insurance co or pray they are
understanding people.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Marc" wrote in message
I have a customer that wanted an adjustment made to her formica countertop.
I made the adjustment and when I went to screw the countertop back on, I
realized that whoever put the screws in used long screws and simple
carefully screwed them in just enough to hold the countertop in place. I
started to screw it back in, went too far, and started to lift the formica
finish on the countertop. I cracked the surface but didn't drill through
the top. I stopped just in time.

Now how do I fix it?

This is easy. I'll handle this one guys.

Put a strip of duct tape from the counter top, covering the blemish, and
wrap around the front. Repeat this about every 18 inches. Tell the
homeowner to leave the tape in place for at least 3 days (or whatever it
takes for the check to clear) so the counter can take a proper set.
Homeowner can remove the tape after that.

If they see the crack and call to complain, remind them that it is their
fault for pulling the tape off too fast. Offer to replace the counter at
your cost, about $2,000.