Default Formica Countertop Removal

We are having granite countertops installed over the exisitng cabinets
which are in fine condition. The house is 10 years old and the old
countertops are formica. I can look under the cabinets and see where
some of them are screwed down but on the breakfast bar there is no
visible screws or brackets underneath so I am not sure how to remove
that section. The dishwasher appears to slide out after two screws are
removed on the underside of the top. How do I disconnect the dishwasher
and when the dishwasher is removed, will I have access to more screws
holding the countertops down? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Charles Spitzer

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Harry K wrote:

wrote:

We are having granite countertops installed over the exisitng

cabinets

which are in fine condition. The house is 10 years old and the old
countertops are formica. I can look under the cabinets and see where
some of them are screwed down but on the breakfast bar there is no
visible screws or brackets underneath so I am not sure how to remove
that section. The dishwasher appears to slide out after two screws

are

removed on the underside of the top. How do I disconnect the

dishwasher

and when the dishwasher is removed, will I have access to more screws
holding the countertops down? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Yes, it slides out after removing the two screws. That and/or removal
of the bottom kick plate allows access to the connections. You will
have one each: water line in, drain line out and an electrical
connection to undo. You will also have a very dirty floor where the
machine was. As to whether you will see more screws then - probably but
no gaurantee. Harry K

In addition to that fine advice, the bartop is probably screwed down from
the top, then formica laid. You will probably have to pry it off.
Probably can't be saved. Check with the granite installers as to what
they want put back there. They will probably want to attach directly to
the wall and use brackets for cantilever support.

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

it could also be glued down.