Doug Kanter

Default Electrolytic grease on AC light bulbs?

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

PipeDown

You could try it, worse that could happen is you have to clean it out with a
cotton swab and isoproponol (or denatured alcohol).

I have never had this problem even in range hoods with standard bulbs.
There must be something more than steam at hand.

Are you saying the threads of the bulb and socket form a layer of corroded
metal which is hard to remove. Perhaps it is too late for the socket and
you should obtain a replacement from the hardware store. The materials used
for bulb bases and threads should not oxidize (corrode) appreciably but
copper or brass parts in the fixture may be suffering. It usually takes
more than just water vapor to severly corrode (all but soft iron) usually
there needs to be a contaminant like salt present (from the potato to remove
the broken base trick perhaps or from your hands). Presence of electricity
would likely accelerate corrosion caused by contaminants but not oxidation
caused only by water vapor.

Another indication that looks like corrosion is actually pitting caused by
arcing in a loose lamp fixture. Can't tell if that is what you are seeing
though.

Describe this corrosion better and I can guess better

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not
to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan?
I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff
also serves to block moisture, if results on the trailer are any
indication.

Joseph Meehan

Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any
reason not to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in
the ceiling fan? I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with
these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to block moisture, if results
on the trailer are any indication.

You can certainly try it. I also suggest you buy quality lamps with
real brass threads not aluminum or colored aluminum.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tony Hwang

Doug Kanter wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

Hi,
I never experienced that ptoblem even in a Sauna in the basement.
Moisture seeping down from above? Or you must have exessive moisture
bulid up in the kitchen. Have venting fan to outside?
Tony
John Willis

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:28:22 GMT, "PipeDown"
scribbled this interesting note:

[...]

I've had similar problems, but with brand new bases in cheap light
fixtures made in China. I'm not sure what causes the problem, but in a
brand new fixture, new bulbs are difficult to install, hard to tighten
sufficiently, and difficult to remove. What I've done in the past is
clean the fixture with WD-40 and wipe the bulb base with a little as
well. Then they seem to install easily and when burned out, remove
easily as well.

Next time I'll go out to the garage and get my tube of electrolytic
grease after I clean the fixture. I'm sure this will solve such
problems for a longer period of time.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Art Todesco

There is a silicon grease which is sold
for that purpose. I bought it at
the local Menards (Chicago suburb). It
comes in a small orange plastic
can. I know that with high wattage
lamps, they are sometimes hard to
remove after years of heat. I actually
used this stuff on theatre lighting
fixtures to lube the adjustment threads
..... it seemed to work. This is
a much hotter environment than the
typical 150 lamp. These fixtures
are as high as 1000 watts.

Tony Hwang wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason
not to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the
ceiling fan? I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with these
bulbs, but the stuff also serves to block moisture, if results on the
trailer are any indication.

Hi,
I never experienced that ptoblem even in a Sauna in the basement.
Moisture seeping down from above? Or you must have exessive moisture
bulid up in the kitchen. Have venting fan to outside?
Tony

JimL

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:49:22 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

I have been lubricating all my installed light bulb threads for over
20 years. I've tried wd-40, but it doesn't last. Crisco shortening
is great and lasts as long as the bulb. Just apply it thinly and wipe
it all off. The only problem is that it is not handy.

A good workable substitute for crisco that is always available is ear
wax. Or for some of you, oily hair. I won't continue but you get
the idea.

George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

You can try it. But what is electrolytic grease?
I've heard of electrolytic aluminum and
electrolytic zink, but grease? Sorry I just had
to say that.

What you really want is silicone grease and all
you need is about a match head sized piece for
each bulb. Just wipe it on the screw base, don't
forget the center and wipe off. Probably WD40
(another poster) will do just as good a job.
Doug Kanter

"John Willis" wrote in message

I've had similar problems, but with brand new bases in cheap light
fixtures made in China.

Based on recent shopping experiences with light fixtures, you're talking
about ALL of them. Apparently, there are no lighting fixtures made here any
more.

Doug Kanter

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason
not to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling
fan? I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the
stuff also serves to block moisture, if results on the trailer are any
indication.

Hi,
I never experienced that ptoblem even in a Sauna in the basement.
Moisture seeping down from above? Or you must have exessive moisture bulid
up in the kitchen. Have venting fan to outside?
Tony

Enormous fan, actually. I suspect the problem is simply cheap crap fixtures
made in China. Since there are no fixtures made here any more, you will
eventually own a Chinese fixture and experience the same problem.

Stormin Mormon

Excellent idea. I've also heard of using candle wax. Or the antoxidant stuff
that is used for aluminum wiring. "Noalox" is the slang term for the grey
stuff.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

Dude, what brand of light bulbs are you using, and where can I buy some?
By the time a bulb would corrode in my house its blown.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
John Willis

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:50:56 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

You can try it. But what is electrolytic grease?
I've heard of electrolytic aluminum and
electrolytic zink, but grease? Sorry I just had
to say that.

What you really want is silicone grease and all
you need is about a match head sized piece for
each bulb. Just wipe it on the screw base, don't
forget the center and wipe off. Probably WD40
(another poster) will do just as good a job.

After thinking about it overnight, it may be that what I'm doing with
the WD-40 is just cleaning a couple of dirty sets of threads, thereby
making them work the way they are supposed to. But a little
lubrication, of the appropriate sort (I wouldn't recommend bacon
grease!:~) is a good idea as well.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Doug Kanter

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason
not to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling
fan? I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the
stuff also serves to block moisture, if results on the trailer are any
indication.

Dude, what brand of light bulbs are you using, and where can I buy some?
By the time a bulb would corrode in my house its blown.

--
Respectfully,

Philips Dura-something or other. In this particular case, it's a type that's
supposedly intended for ceiling fans and their vibration. At least that's
what the package says.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Doug Kanter wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got
electrolytic grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason
not to use a very fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling
fan? I realize that conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the
stuff also serves to block moisture, if results on the trailer are any
indication.

Dude, what brand of light bulbs are you using, and where can I buy some?
By the time a bulb would corrode in my house its blown.

--
Respectfully,

Philips Dura-something or other. In this particular case, it's a type that's
supposedly intended for ceiling fans and their vibration. At least that's
what the package says.

Interesting. I got a bunch of those. I keep the receipts now since they
claim a warranty. Im waiting on it to blow again so we can see how well
the warranty works

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Doug Kanter

I don't know what the deal is, but thinking back over the years, I don't
recall it ever happening with a lamp or fixture in which the bulb is
installed with the base down - only with base-up situations.

wrote in message
Hey,
I have had the same problem. Whats the deal with these ceiling fan
lights. Dont they make the sockets the right size or what. Ours got
so bad we junked the whole thing after several bulbs broke off in my
hand.

wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get
corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a
very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize
that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

wrote in message

Hey,
I have had the same problem. Whats the deal with these ceiling fan
lights. Dont they make the sockets the right size or what. Ours got
so bad we junked the whole thing after several bulbs broke off in my
hand.

Probably because ceiling fans vibrate and regular lamps dont. Perhaps
the bulbs were not designed for a vibrating environment.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Doug Kanter

wrote in message

Hey,
I have had the same problem. Whats the deal with these ceiling fan
lights. Dont they make the sockets the right size or what. Ours got
so bad we junked the whole thing after several bulbs broke off in my
hand.

Probably because ceiling fans vibrate and regular lamps dont. Perhaps the
bulbs were not designed for a vibrating environment.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Vibration will affect bulb life, but not the tendency of the bulb's threads
to get locked in place. And, the same thing happens with base-up
installation in things that do NOT vibrate, like certain light fixtures.

Joseph Meehan

Doug Kanter wrote:

Vibration will affect bulb life, but not the tendency of the bulb's
threads to get locked in place. And, the same thing happens with
base-up installation in things that do NOT vibrate, like certain
light fixtures.

Maybe because heat rises. Curious.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tekkie®

Joseph Meehan posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Doug Kanter wrote:

Vibration will affect bulb life, but not the tendency of the bulb's
threads to get locked in place. And, the same thing happens with
base-up installation in things that do NOT vibrate, like certain
light fixtures.

Maybe because heat rises. Curious.

I think it's more along the lines of:
CHEAP sockets.
CHEAP bulb bases

Sockets and bulbs used to be brass now they are alumimum foillike...
--

Tekkie

Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Burned Out Light Bulbs [email protected] Home Repair 42 March 4th 05 04:28 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Pinched......... wanderer UK diy 8 September 12th 03 11:56 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM