JimL

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:49:22 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

I have been lubricating all my installed light bulb threads for over
20 years. I've tried wd-40, but it doesn't last. Crisco shortening
is great and lasts as long as the bulb. Just apply it thinly and wipe
it all off. The only problem is that it is not handy.

A good workable substitute for crisco that is always available is ear
wax. Or for some of you, oily hair. I won't continue but you get
the idea.