John Willis

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 00:50:56 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
scribbled this interesting note:

Doug Kanter wrote:
Incandescent bulbs in my kitchen's ceiling fan seem to sort of get corroded
in place, probably due to the moist environment. I've got electrolytic
grease for the light bulbs on my boat trailer. Any reason not to use a very
fine coating on the threads of the bulbs in the ceiling fan? I realize that
conductivity isn't the goal with these bulbs, but the stuff also serves to
block moisture, if results on the trailer are any indication.

You can try it. But what is electrolytic grease?
I've heard of electrolytic aluminum and
electrolytic zink, but grease? Sorry I just had
to say that.

What you really want is silicone grease and all
you need is about a match head sized piece for
each bulb. Just wipe it on the screw base, don't
forget the center and wipe off. Probably WD40
(another poster) will do just as good a job.

After thinking about it overnight, it may be that what I'm doing with
the WD-40 is just cleaning a couple of dirty sets of threads, thereby
making them work the way they are supposed to. But a little
lubrication, of the appropriate sort (I wouldn't recommend bacon
grease!:~) is a good idea as well.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)