Walter R.

Default Is 100% Acrylic Paint the best available?

I am getting ready to paint my (stucco) house again. It was last painted in
1990 and actually still looks very good.

Most professional painters in this area use "Frazee" paint. This appears to
be a regional maker of paint in the South West.

Their best exterior paint is touted as 100% Acrylic ($ 22). Is superior
paint composed of 100% Acrylic? Should I only consider paint that is 100%
Acrylic? Is Glidden or SW paint 100% Acrylic?

What is other, good paint made of, if not 100% Acrylic?

If I sound confused that's because I am.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Look at some past applications.
I'm not sure acrylic is flexibel enough to accept thermal movement.
TB

jeffc

wrote in message
ups.com...
Look at some past applications.
I'm not sure acrylic is flexibel enough to accept thermal movement.

100% acrylic is the best latex paint. I think oil, in fact, is what's not
flexible enough to accept movement. I believe it's the very nature of the
acrylic itself that makes it flexible, not the percentage of it. But I
could be wrong.

jeffc

"jeffc" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
ups.com...
Look at some past applications.
I'm not sure acrylic is flexibel enough to accept thermal movement.

100% acrylic is the best latex paint. I think oil, in fact, is what's not
flexible enough to accept movement. I believe it's the very nature of the
acrylic itself that makes it flexible, not the percentage of it.

Especially since, looking at the Frazee web site, the product that will
probably be used is called "Elasto-meric" :-)

Baron

Acrylic paint is a bit harder (tougher?) than acrylic-vinyl which is
more so than vinyl. Most trim paint is acrylic. As to what is better, it
depends on the application. Vinyl is a bit more flexible and water vapor
permeable.
As far as brands, all the manufacturers make paints in all the different
types. I like Sherwin Williams but Benjamin Moore and Muralo are quite good
as well. It's more personal preference.

Good Luck.

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am getting ready to paint my (stucco) house again. It was last painted

in
1990 and actually still looks very good.

Most professional painters in this area use "Frazee" paint. This appears

be a regional maker of paint in the South West.

Their best exterior paint is touted as 100% Acrylic ($ 22). Is superior
paint composed of 100% Acrylic? Should I only consider paint that is 100%
Acrylic? Is Glidden or SW paint 100% Acrylic?

What is other, good paint made of, if not 100% Acrylic?

If I sound confused that's because I am.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

jeffc

"Baron" wrote in message
news:999d9$429e4ac7$cf672f28$6250@allthenewsgroups .com...
As far as brands, all the manufacturers make paints in all the
different
types. I like Sherwin Williams but Benjamin Moore and Muralo are quite
good
as well. It's more personal preference.

It really comes down much more to product, rather than brand. SW makes good
paint, and they make crap paint, pretty much like all major manufacturers.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
Acrylic Paint TheScullster UK diy 2 April 5th 04 10:16 AM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM