miamicuse

Default URGENT ADVISE NEEDED: Do I pull out the post?

I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the concrete? Will
it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is not 100%
set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Thanks,

MC

TURTLE

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the concrete? Will
it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is not 100%
set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Thanks,

MC

This is Turtle.

If your not wanting the top part of the concrete form to look pretty and smooth.
Don't worry about it. It will just dry slower and add about 4 to 8 hours of
dring time to it.

Really just looks to the top of the concrete looking pretty is about the
difference.

TURTLE

DL

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the concrete?
Will
it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is not 100%
set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Thanks,

MC

Given the time of your post I would assume that it has been at least a while
since you set the post in the concrete, minimum of an hour or two. I would
assume that the concrete has already started to set. Pulling the post might
not be an option.

I would try to cover the post and concrete with a tarp to keep the majority
of the rain off of it. Since the concrete is mixed with water anyway, you
shouldn't run into much of the problem other than it taking longer to set
completely. I expect the concrete will be covered with dirt so it it is a
little pitted from the rain, it won't matter.

When they poured my steps for the walkout basement they scheduled it the day
before a rainy period and told me it was a good thing because this slows
down the curing process.

Hope this helps,

David

Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the concrete?
Will
it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is not 100%
set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Pouring rain may dimple the surface a bit, but that is about all if it is
partially set. If you can, cover it so it is not in a puddle. Some moisture
is a good thing and helps slow the cure for more strength. Don't pull the
post.

miamicuse

Thank you all. No I don't care if the top is smooth or not. The grass will
grow back and cover it in time anyways. I will leave it in, which is the
answer I was hoping for...

Thanks again for the quick response!

MC

"TURTLE" wrote in message
.. .

"miamicuse" wrote in message
[...]

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message
I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and

poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the

concrete?
Will
it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is

not 100%
set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Pouring rain may dimple the surface a bit, but that is about all if

it is
partially set. If you can, cover it so it is not in a puddle. Some

moisture
is a good thing and helps slow the cure for more strength. Don't

pull the
post.

It is my experience that it doesn't even need to be partially set. The
rain will only effect the immediate surface layer. I have poured
premix concrete (adding some cement) -under- water for a small dam and
it set up hard. Of course I had pour through a tube so additional
water didn't mix in while I was pouring.

Harry K

HeyBub

miamicuse wrote:
I just pounded a galvanized steel post 24" into the ground, and poured
concrete around it for a mail box.

It just started pouring outside. What would that do to the concrete?
Will it mess it up? Should I pull out the post while the concrete is
not 100% set and do it again another day? or should I leave it?

Thanks,

Concrete doesn't "dry," it hardens. It's a chemical reaction. Concrete will
harden under water.

The ROMANS used to make docks out of concrete by dumping it into forms below
the water - that was 2,000 years ago and the pilings are still there.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HeyBub" wrote in message

The ROMANS used to make docks out of concrete by dumping it into forms
below the water - that was 2,000 years ago and the pilings are still
there.

Yes, but look how the Coliseum went to hell. It could have been prevented
with some aluminum siding.

Goedjn

Concrete doesn't "dry," it hardens. It's a chemical reaction. Concrete will
harden under water.

The ROMANS used to make docks out of concrete by dumping it into forms below
the water - that was 2,000 years ago and the pilings are still there.

Well, it's not QUITE that easy. A hard driving rain can mess up the
top layer of concrete by washing away the dust, and mechanically
sorting the aggregate. Just plain water isn't a problem, but
MOVING water is. It's too late now anyway, I'd have put straw or
rags over the concrete.

Likewise, when pouring concrete under water, you can't just sink a
box in the bay and shovel conrete into it, you have to feed it
through a pipe, with the bottom end burried in the pour, so that
you don't get little blobs of rocks with layers of water between
them, glued together by what little cement didn't drift away as
silt on the way down.

--Goedjn