miamicuse

Default Saturnia Marble

I am looking at a property for sale that has Saturnia marble throughout the
living area. As I walked through I commented on the floor but I called it
Travertine, the owner promptly corrected me stating "no this is not
Travertine this is Saturnia marble". I thought the two are the same so I
asked her what the differences are and she said Saturnia is a much better
grade of stone and is very thick compared to Travertine which is very thin,
like tiles. Is she right? I thought the two are interchangeable terms,
like raw fish on rice and sushi.

The floor is not slippery, in fact, it has a film on it, I think she applied
some sort of "rubbery" sealant, and now it looks like there is a layer of
glue on it. I thought marble sealing is supposed to have a sheen look, not
a rubbery glue look.

For some reason, wood baseboards on stone floor seems strange. To have the
same marble cut for baseboards will be pretty costly I assume. Any idea for
an alternative?

Thanks,

MC

dadiOH

miamicuse wrote:

I thought the two are interchangeable terms, like raw fish on
rice and sushi.

A minor correction...

Sushi has nothing to do with sashimi (raw fish)...sushi is just
vinegared rice, may or may not include sashimi.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

G Henslee

miamicuse wrote:
I am looking at a property for sale that has Saturnia marble throughout the
living area. As I walked through I commented on the floor but I called it
Travertine, the owner promptly corrected me stating "no this is not
Travertine this is Saturnia marble". I thought the two are the same so I
asked her what the differences are and she said Saturnia is a much better
grade of stone and is very thick compared to Travertine which is very thin,
like tiles. Is she right?

Saturnia simply refers to an area in Italy where the travertine by the
name Saturnia was extracted.

I thought marble sealing is supposed to have a sheen look, not
a rubbery glue look.

No flooring that I know of should have a "rubbery glue look". Sounds
like the sealer was improperly applied.

For some reason, wood baseboards on stone floor seems strange. To have the
same marble cut for baseboards will be pretty costly I assume. Any idea for
an alternative?

Thanks,

MC

Wood baseboard over marble is quite common and acceptable. You may want
to consider a 'heavier' or perhaps taller wood baseboard. One with
some shape to it or add a shoe base at the bottom to give it more
definition.