Gina and Les Armstrong

Default Flickering TV

I have a ten year old JVC 27" TV that has begun to flicker. The picture
flickers intermittently, and when the set is bumped or moved slightly. The
flickering happen on all inputs (cable, video 1, video 2, S-video). I am
going to replace it, as it is our main set used for everyday viewing. My
question is: is there a quick fix for the problem? The reason I ask is
because I would like to keep it, if possible, for use in the garage or a
spare bedroom. Any advice would be appreciated. The model# is AV-27BP3 I
have searched the JVC site with no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Tony Hwang

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:
I have a ten year old JVC 27" TV that has begun to flicker. The picture
flickers intermittently, and when the set is bumped or moved slightly. The
flickering happen on all inputs (cable, video 1, video 2, S-video). I am
going to replace it, as it is our main set used for everyday viewing. My
question is: is there a quick fix for the problem? The reason I ask is
because I would like to keep it, if possible, for use in the garage or a
spare bedroom. Any advice would be appreciated. The model# is AV-27BP3 I
have searched the JVC site with no luck.

Thanks in advance,

Les

Hi,
Unplug the set, wait for 10 minutes or more then open up the set,
vacuum out the dust build up. Wiggle the CRT HV(anode) connector to
reseat it.
Tony
Gina and Les Armstrong

Hi,
Unplug the set, wait for 10 minutes or more then open up the set,
vacuum out the dust build up. Wiggle the CRT HV(anode) connector to reseat
it.
Tony

Thanks Tony. Is the connector the small circuit board that is connected to,
what looks like, a small tube, that then connects to the back of the large
tube (the back side of the actual TV screen)? I wiggled the small circuit
board and it did feel tighter afterwards.

Les

Gina and Les Armstrong

"Gina and Les Armstrong" wrote in
message ...

Hi,
Unplug the set, wait for 10 minutes or more then open up the set,
vacuum out the dust build up. Wiggle the CRT HV(anode) connector to
reseat it.
Tony

Thanks Tony. Is the connector the small circuit board that is connected
to, what looks like, a small tube, that then connects to the back of the
large tube (the back side of the actual TV screen)? I wiggled the small
circuit board and it did feel tighter afterwards.

Les

I buttoned the set back up and turned it on. Guess what? No flickering!
Thanks Tony!!

Les

donald

Waiting won't make it any safer. The capacitors hold a charge indefiinately.
Just be VERY carefull when the TV is open, it will pack a punch.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
newslpge.1318658$6l.43867@pd7tw2no...
[...]

Gina and Les Armstrong

"donald" wrote in message
Waiting won't make it any safer. The capacitors hold a charge
indefiinately. Just be VERY carefull when the TV is open, it will pack a
punch.

I used one hand and wore a heavy rubber glove when reaching inside. My Dad
taught me to keep one hand in my pocket at all times (when possible) when
working around electrical components. As an electrician for 30 years, he
had his share of zaps, fortunately none were very serious.

Tony Hwang

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

Hi,
Unplug the set, wait for 10 minutes or more then open up the set,
vacuum out the dust build up. Wiggle the CRT HV(anode) connector to reseat
it.
Tony

Thanks Tony. Is the connector the small circuit board that is connected to,
what looks like, a small tube, that then connects to the back of the large
tube (the back side of the actual TV screen)? I wiggled the small circuit
board and it did feel tighter afterwards.

Les

Hi,
That is the little thicker wire going to the belly of CRT. Wiggle at CRT
end. It's clipped into a little hole on the glass envelope.
Hope this helps.
Tony
Tony Hwang

"donald" wrote in message

Waiting won't make it any safer. The capacitors hold a charge
indefiinately. Just be VERY carefull when the TV is open, it will pack a
punch.

I used one hand and wore a heavy rubber glove when reaching inside. My Dad
taught me to keep one hand in my pocket at all times (when possible) when
working around electrical components. As an electrician for 30 years, he
had his share of zaps, fortunately none were very serious.

Hi,
Good. Knit picking here, that one hand in pocket better be left hand
for a reason.
Tony, VE6CGX

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

I have a ten year old JVC 27" TV that has begun to flicker.
The picture flickers intermittently, and when the set is
bumped or moved slightly. The flickering happen on all
inputs (cable, video 1, video 2, S-video). I am going to
replace it, as it is our main set used for everyday viewing.
My question is: is there a quick fix for the problem? The

The model# is AV-27BP3

There's likely a bad solder joint or loose or corroded connector. This
TV is better built than current models and may have another 10 years
of life left in it (my Japanese-made Sanyo celebrates its 29th birthday
this year). If you can solder, you may be able to repair it almost for
free. But before you try, read the excellent www.repairfaq.org ,
especially its safety information.

The high voltage connector on the side of the picture tube can retain a
high voltage charge indefinitely, so you do not want to remove it.
Just twisting around its rubber boot slightly will reseat the
connector and clean off corrosion, but you can get a shock if the boot
has even microscopic cracks in it, and I seriously doubt this connector
is at fault. More likely any bad connection is on the small circuit
board that plugs into the end of the picture tube because the tube's
pins run hot enough to turn blue. But the board may be glued to the
tube and not budge unless the glue is _carefully_ peeled or cut off.
If you cut it, be very, very careful not to scratch the glass or the
tube can suddenly implode and then explode, and Another possibility is
cracked solder for the sockets that connect to the pins. The cracks
can be very fine and invisible without strong light and a manifying
glass. Other common locations of cracked solder are at heavy
components, such as the flyback transformer (thick cable to side of
picture tube emerges from it), or hot components, including devices
connected to heatsinks.

Beware that broken glass can be a bigger hazard tha electric shock
since a shock may merely cause you to jerk your hand, but your hand may
then break the glass. Also TVs are very front heavy and prone to
falling forward, so set any upright TV on a completely solid surface or
place a large pillow in front to cushion its fall.

Gideon

I have been under the impression that all modern (past few decades)
TV sets and other CRT-type devices have a very high value resistor
connected to the high voltage sources so that residual charges are
gradually dissipated when the set is turned off. Regardless, I always
treat any set that I work on as if there is a lethal charge in there.

When I feel that it is necessary, I wear a rubber glove and use a very
long, thin bladed screw driver with a good insulated handle. I own a
variety of various length wires with alligator clips solder at both ends
and I use a long one to electrically attach the screwdriver shaft to a
reliable ground. I then slide the screwdriver tip under the CRT high
voltage boot to discharge the CRT. It is probably not necessary on
modern sets, but it doesn't take long to do. And, of course, I repeat
the procedure after each time that I turn the set on for testing.

Caveat - don't work on CRT devices if you aren't very knowledgeable
in what you are doing and don't trust newsgroup advise without
carefully double-check the advise for accuracy.

Gideon