Injun-ear

Thanks to all you guys for the info. I was able to stop my 9-year old Sharp
27" TV from the jumping picture by applying your advice.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gina and Les Armstrong wrote:

I have a ten year old JVC 27" TV that has begun to flicker.
The picture flickers intermittently, and when the set is
bumped or moved slightly. The flickering happen on all
inputs (cable, video 1, video 2, S-video). I am going to
replace it, as it is our main set used for everyday viewing.
My question is: is there a quick fix for the problem? The

The model# is AV-27BP3

There's likely a bad solder joint or loose or corroded connector. This
TV is better built than current models and may have another 10 years
of life left in it (my Japanese-made Sanyo celebrates its 29th birthday
this year). If you can solder, you may be able to repair it almost for
free. But before you try, read the excellent www.repairfaq.org ,
especially its safety information.

The high voltage connector on the side of the picture tube can retain a
high voltage charge indefinitely, so you do not want to remove it.
Just twisting around its rubber boot slightly will reseat the
connector and clean off corrosion, but you can get a shock if the boot
has even microscopic cracks in it, and I seriously doubt this connector
is at fault. More likely any bad connection is on the small circuit
board that plugs into the end of the picture tube because the tube's
pins run hot enough to turn blue. But the board may be glued to the
tube and not budge unless the glue is _carefully_ peeled or cut off.
If you cut it, be very, very careful not to scratch the glass or the
tube can suddenly implode and then explode, and Another possibility is
cracked solder for the sockets that connect to the pins. The cracks
can be very fine and invisible without strong light and a manifying
glass. Other common locations of cracked solder are at heavy
components, such as the flyback transformer (thick cable to side of
picture tube emerges from it), or hot components, including devices
connected to heatsinks.

Beware that broken glass can be a bigger hazard tha electric shock
since a shock may merely cause you to jerk your hand, but your hand may
then break the glass. Also TVs are very front heavy and prone to
falling forward, so set any upright TV on a completely solid surface or
place a large pillow in front to cushion its fall.