Tony Hwang

Default Cordless reciprocating saw

Hi,
Some projects for the summer calls for a reciprocating saw to make
things easier. I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill with two batteries. So
I was wondering whether I buy a cordless saw or electric one like
Milwaukee Sawzall? Opinions from experienced users please? Will cordless
be upto the various chores?
TIA,
Tony
toller

Ah, what do you want to use it for? Kinda makes a difference.

Tony Hwang

toller wrote:
Ah, what do you want to use it for? Kinda makes a difference.

Hi,
Fencing, decking, retaining wall work kinda thing, some pruning maybe
out at cabin. I have AC power available out there. I just feel cordless
might not be powerful enough but then I never used this type of saw before.
Tony
Joseph Meehan

Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Some projects for the summer calls for a reciprocating saw to make
things easier. I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill with two batteries.
So I was wondering whether I buy a cordless saw or electric one like
Milwaukee Sawzall? Opinions from experienced users please? Will
cordless be upto the various chores?
TIA,
Tony

I have one and love it. It comes in very handy. However if I have a
serious job with a lot of cutting to do, I would not rely on it, even with
three or four batteries as even my 24V job eats batteries.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Some projects for the summer calls for a reciprocating saw to make things
easier. I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill with two batteries. So I was
wondering whether I buy a cordless saw or electric one like Milwaukee
Sawzall? Opinions from experienced users please? Will cordless be upto the
various chores?
TIA,
Tony

Corded is more powerful, never runs out of juice (assuming the juice is
available).

Cordless does not need long cords to use outdoors. Has limited life as
batteries must be charged. Good for light and intermittent work.

Decision has to be based on your particular needs and uses. They cordless
are very handy though. On a small job you can be done cutting in less time
that getting out an extension cord and then re-winding it.

toller

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
toller wrote:
Ah, what do you want to use it for? Kinda makes a difference.

Hi,
Fencing, decking, retaining wall work kinda thing, some pruning maybe out
at cabin. I have AC power available out there. I just feel cordless might
not be powerful enough but then I never used this type of saw before.

A reciprocating saw is hardly ideal for pruning. I use a hand saw or (drum
roll please) my Ryobi cordless chain saw. I once used it to make 10 cuts on
some 4" trees on one battery. If I had had my gas saw out at the cottage it
would have been a better choice, but the Ryobi worked. I don't think a
cordless reciprocating would have. Worst thing about the Ryobi is that the
oil leaks and make a mess between uses.

It will work on your other projects, but will make a couple cuts on 4x4s per
battery. Corded is a better choice for serious cutting.

Noozer

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Some projects for the summer calls for a reciprocating saw to make things
easier. I have a Dewalt 18V cordless drill with two batteries. So I was
wondering whether I buy a cordless saw or electric one like Milwaukee
Sawzall? Opinions from experienced users please? Will cordless be upto the
various chores?

I've got a set of DeWalt 18v tools... They are quite handy but the batteries
are EXPENSIVE!

At this point, if I wanted cordless tools, I'd just go cheap.

You're in Calgary? Go to XSCargo and pick up the 18v tools they have there
and grab a spare batter or two.

Art Todesco

Well, I use a cheapo cordless recip with an 8"
wet-wood pruning blade and
it's great .... not for 4" trunks, but it works
real good for cleaning up those
branches that are too big for clippers ( 1/2").

toller wrote:

Ah, what do you want to use it for? Kinda makes a difference.

Hi,
Fencing, decking, retaining wall work kinda thing, some pruning maybe out
at cabin. I have AC power available out there. I just feel cordless might
not be powerful enough but then I never used this type of saw before.

A reciprocating saw is hardly ideal for pruning. I use a hand saw or (drum
roll please) my Ryobi cordless chain saw. I once used it to make 10 cuts on
some 4" trees on one battery. If I had had my gas saw out at the cottage it
would have been a better choice, but the Ryobi worked. I don't think a
cordless reciprocating would have. Worst thing about the Ryobi is that the
oil leaks and make a mess between uses.

It will work on your other projects, but will make a couple cuts on 4x4s per
battery. Corded is a better choice for serious cutting.

toller

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
m...
Well, I use a cheapo cordless recip with an 8" wet-wood pruning blade and
it's great .... not for 4" trunks, but it works real good for cleaning up
those
branches that are too big for clippers ( 1/2").

Whatever works for you...
1" is easiest to do with a hand saw.

Nick Hull

In article ,
"toller" wrote:

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
m...
Well, I use a cheapo cordless recip with an 8" wet-wood pruning blade and
it's great .... not for 4" trunks, but it works real good for cleaning up
those
branches that are too big for clippers ( 1/2").

Whatever works for you...
1" is easiest to do with a hand saw.

1" is a piece of cake with a good lopper, I've lopped larger.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight has a chinese made Sawzall (corded) that goes on sale for
$19.99 now and again. Might want to go with that, and decide about upgrades,
later.

I got my 14.4 Miluakee, cause it was the lowest voltage that would do
sawzall. but I never decided to go th e extra 200 and get the sawzall -- the
couple times a year I just get out the corded on.

When I got some cordless drills from HF, I got the 12.0 volt ones, so I
could run them off a lighter socket cord when the batteries finally died.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus