Default Question about energy efficiency

We moved into our house towards the end of last summer. We knew it
needed additional insulation after seeing the attic during the
inspection-- then we had a few hot days and you could feel the heat
permeating from the ceiling. On a hot day, the AC would just work and
work and work and we could barely keep the temperature under 80
degrees.

Anyway, we had insulation added over the winter, so that we're at R-35
now. And I figured that would make a big difference. And maybe it
has. But now that we've had a couple of warm days, we're finding that
it still gets really warm inside the house a lot quicker than I think
it should. The outside temperature might get up to 65 degrees and
we'll find that the inside temperature rises to 78 or so by 9 p.m.

So I'd like to hear what sort of professional I should contact about
helping me with this.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Anyway, we had insulation added over the winter, so that we're at R-35
now. And I figured that would make a big difference. And maybe it
has. But now that we've had a couple of warm days, we're finding that
it still gets really warm inside the house a lot quicker than I think
it should. The outside temperature might get up to 65 degrees and
we'll find that the inside temperature rises to 78 or so by 9 p.m.

So I'd like to hear what sort of professional I should contact about
helping me with this.

Your utility company may offer a free or low cost energy audit that can
help.

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Get a pro HVAC guy to check your AC unit.

Just because it is running doesn't mean it is working. Or it may be working
at 10%. A knowledgeable person can figure this out real quick on a hot
afternoon.

Colbyt

udarrell

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyway, we had insulation added over the winter, so that we're at R-35
now. And I figured that would make a big difference. And maybe it
has. But now that we've had a couple of warm days, we're finding that
it still gets really warm inside the house a lot quicker than I think
it should. The outside temperature might get up to 65 degrees and
we'll find that the inside temperature rises to 78 or so by 9 p.m.

So I'd like to hear what sort of professional I should contact about
helping me with this.

What state and large city do you live near? I'll give you the summer outdoor
design for your area.
If those were sunny days you may be getting a big solar radiant heat load.
What color are the shingles and the exterior of your home?
How about insulation in the walls?
Pull the shades and drapes! You could use awnings over the windows too.

If you live in a high humidity climate your unit will run a lot until it
gets the latent humidity out of the materials in your home.
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditioning-seer.html

Call the power company, also, ask which A/C contractors know their
stuff, --you need help!
- udarrell
--
Air-Conditioning Manufacturing Companies - "Adding Marketing Values to A/C
Equipment"

Stormin Mormon

I'm thinking you should call a HVAC company for a clean and check. I've seen
enough systems in my life that were working way below capacity. It's very
possible your system is in desperate need of maintenance. Folks generally
don't spend money on maint when they are about to move.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

OT-Very OT-Geen Fruitcakes in action Gunner Metalworking 146 May 11th 05 06:49 AM
Oil/Pellet Stoves? Bill LaFleur Home Ownership 285 November 18th 04 09:33 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Central Heating Efficiency Question Danny UK diy 18 January 14th 04 06:57 PM
Energy Efficiency Ratings - Ovens Andrew Gabriel UK diy 2 July 29th 03 09:58 AM