Andrew Gabriel

Default Energy Efficiency Ratings - Ovens

In article ,
(Stacey Higginbotham) writes:
We're after buying a new cooker (Electric Double built in thing) and
we've narrowed our choice down to 2 (there's not a lot of choice if
you want a green - the colour! - cooker). One of them (the one we
really want) is rated at efficiency 'C/C', the other is efficiency
'A/B' (Main oven/secondary oven). I've had a look at the saveenergy
website (
www.saveenergy.co.uk) and it lists everything but cookers!
Does anyone know what the difference is between band 'A' and band 'C'?
Surely a cooker by its very definition cannot be energy efficient -
it's designed to produce heat!

It's probably a question of how much of the heat it produces
goes into heating the food, verses how much goes into heating
the kitchen, and how much is wasted in heating the internal
metalwork and then lost when the oven is switched off.
This latter part might effect how long it takes to heat up
and therefore how long in advance you need to switch it on.
Mine, which is probably about 5 years old, takes about 5
minutes to get to max temperature, whereas one I recall my
parents having one some 20 years ago of about the same power
rating took probably over half an our to get to max temperature.
That would result in vastly different energy consumption if you
wanted to, say, cook a pizza for 10 mintues in a hot oven.

I've no idea which aspects of the efficiency the letters you've
seen refer to though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
fred writes:

It's a guide, but it seems a bit unfair. eg all 'medium' sized ovens (35-65
litres) are grouped together so larger ones within the group which will need
more energy will look less 'efficient' than a smaller one in the same group.

Indeed. It will cost me more to cook one chicken drumstick in
a big oven than a small oven, so big ones are less efficient.

--
Andrew Gabriel