Bob

Default Stripping paint with heat?

I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

TIA
Charles Spitzer

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

TIA

they started fires if one wasn't careful. in today's lawsuit-happy age, the
are probably discouraged.

Goedjn

I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

People who kill themselves with heat-sources die right then,
and there's an easy path of causality for the lawyers to follow.

People who kill themselves with chemicals tend to die years
later, which creates plausible deniability.

Bob

Goedjn wrote in
:

I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A
few years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and
electric heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical
methods mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

People who kill themselves with heat-sources die right then,
and there's an easy path of causality for the lawyers to follow.

People who kill themselves with chemicals tend to die years
later, which creates plausible deniability.

Thanks for your insight -- it makes perfect sense -- but the question was
"Is there a GOOD reason?" as in "does it work just as well?" And, can you
still buy a heat gun without a background check?
Buck Turgidson

"Bob" wrote in message
I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A

few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and

electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

I can't comment on industry trends, but I bought a heat gun and stripped
my front door. I laid it over saw horses, so any fires would be
contained. It worked just fine.

I suppose lead paint could be a concern, and paint remover would keep
lead suspended and contained, whereas a heat gun could generate airborne
particles.

Buck Turgidson

Thanks for your insight -- it makes perfect sense -- but the question
was
"Is there a GOOD reason?" as in "does it work just as well?" And, can

you
still buy a heat gun without a background check?

Maybe the chemical manufacturers are just better at marketing than the
heat gun manufacturers. My Home Depot stocks heat guns.

Doug Miller

In article , Bob wrote:
I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

Sure - it's because heat guns don't work worth a damn for stripping paint. The
chemical strippers take about one-tenth the time and effort.

--
Regards,

Norminn

Bob wrote:
I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

TIA

Chemical strippers are expensive, messy, but do a great job. Torch can
be used outdoors, but run risk of burning/charring wood. Depends on the
job, how much, etc. I've done both. I wouldn't use a torch on antique
furniture, and I wouldn't use chemical stripper to do all the window
frames on the outside of the house.

Hopkins

I've seen heat guns around, and a purchase doesn't involve the FBI,
last I knew. But I'm with Doug Miller on this - I was underwhelmed with
their performance.

You don't say what or how much wood you're stripping -- if it's a big
job I'd try the chemicals.

Paul MR

Bob wrote:
I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A few
years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and electric
heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical methods
mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

TIA

My experience stripping molding and baseboards last year: the heat gun
was quicker and a lot easier in removing about five layers of paint from
flat surfaces. But not every speck of paint came off, and the heat gun
had to be followed by chemical. Also, the chemical was better for
grooves and carved sections.

Paul in San Francisco

Richard J Kinch

Bob writes:

Is there a good reason for this?

Heat == slow.
m Ransley

They work better on old oil paint not latex, latex actualy melts, oil
bubbles and releases. They are still sold but stripping old oil that
contains lead releases it poisoning you. Pick the right tool - product
for the job.

Phil Munro

Paul MR wrote:

Bob wrote:

I'm planning to restore some painted wood to a more natural state. A
few years back, using heat to strip old finishes was commonplace and
electric heat guns were flying off the shelves. I only see chemical
methods mentioned now. Is there a good reason for this?

TIA

My experience stripping molding and baseboards last year: the heat gun
was quicker and a lot easier in removing about five layers of paint from
flat surfaces. But not every speck of paint came off, and the heat gun
had to be followed by chemical. Also, the chemical was better for
grooves and carved sections.

Paul in San Francisco

This has been my experience with our old house: heat gun for paint
layers over old varnish (both come off), followed by chemical. But in
some places I have had paint that the heat gun did not touch, and even
chemical was slow and difficult. We are staining the wood, so a chem
strip is necessary after the heat, followed by sanding to get the clean
smooth surface.
I am using a chemical stripper purchased from a place in Cleveland,
5-gallon or 1-gallon cans, good price and somewhat better than the Z...
strip that can be bought in stores for $20 or more last time I checked.
--Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Bob

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Bob writes:

Is there a good reason for this?

Thanks to all for your responses. It's not a big job - bunch of very basic
kitchen cabinet doors painted over 25 years ago. I'm planning on taking
threm down and doing the job outdoors, not sure whether I'll strip or paint
over the cabinet frames.

Bob

Andy Hill

"Hopkins" wrote:
You don't say what or how much wood you're stripping -- if it's a big
job I'd try the chemicals.

If it's a big job, I take 'er into town and let the guy with the stripping tank
give 'er swim in the tank. Still some cleanup stripping to do, but it's worth
every cent of the $50 he charges me.

Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 07:28 PM
An air-soil solar sub-basement heat battery [email protected] Home Repair 10 March 14th 05 11:50 PM
Paint stripping Philip Clark UK diy 0 December 13th 04 10:44 AM
Heat Keeps Shutting Off Frontier Home Repair 29 December 24th 03 01:44 PM
Paint stripping advice? al UK diy 6 August 4th 03 11:42 PM