Bonnie

Default freeze proof faucets

Good Morning,

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the
hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from
underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off the
cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs to be
replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I Googled
freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a leak.

Bonnie in NJ

Joseph Meehan

Bonnie wrote:
Good Morning,

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked
up the hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are
leaking from underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water
on. Can I pop off the cap to see what is going on under there? Is
there a washer that needs to be replaced? Can I do this myself or do
I need to hire a plumber? I Googled freeze proof faucets but couldn't
find anything about repairing a leak.
Bonnie in NJ

Under the cap is a one way vent to allow air in so it will drain. I
suggest just turning the water on and off a few times to see if that will
free it up so it will function again. I have never had one apart so I don't
know if you can do anything there if you do take it apart or even if you can
take it apart (well and get it back together :-) )

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Art

Does it leak when nothing is connected to the faucet? It is probably
unavoidable if it leaks from backpressure when a hose is connected. I have
4 including a new one and all leak from backpressure.

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Good Morning,

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the
hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from
underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off
the cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs
to be replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I
Googled freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a
leak.

Bonnie in NJ

Bonnie

"Bonnie" wrote:

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the
hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from
underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off
the
cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs to
be
replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I Googled
freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a leak.

I have 2. One only has a minor leak. the other leaks a lot from under the
cap but also a little from around a "seam" that is between the cap and the
knob you turn to turn the water on. Again, it only leaks when the water is
turned on

Bonnie.

Bonnie

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
Does it leak when nothing is connected to the faucet? It is probably
unavoidable if it leaks from backpressure when a hose is connected. I
have 4 including a new one and all leak from backpressure.

It has only been leaking this season. I don't want it leaking since I prefer
to leave the water "on" so I can have the timer on to water the lawn and
plants.

KTwo

Bonnie wrote:
"Bonnie" wrote:

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the
hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from
underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off
the
cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs to
be
replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I Googled
freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a leak.

I have 2. One only has a minor leak. the other leaks a lot from under the
cap but also a little from around a "seam" that is between the cap and the
knob you turn to turn the water on. Again, it only leaks when the water is
turned on

Bonnie.

I have one of these faucets that is doing this. I believe that the
plastic cap is a "blow off" in the case that you leave a hose connected
to the faucet when it freezes and the line can't get cleared. Even
though these are supposed to be freeze proof faucets, that only counts
if you disconnect the hose . . .
FWIW, I haven't tried rebuilding the one of mine that froze - I just
built a deck over it.

-K2

Freeze Less Faucets Patch Home Repair 8 March 26th 05 10:14 PM
Freeze back? Water coming in a window... John Home Repair 5 March 16th 05 09:10 PM
Freeze proof barn tap CathyLee Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 09:20 PM
Water dripping sound when faucets are used waltermelon Home Ownership 6 January 21st 05 02:18 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM