KTwo

Bonnie wrote:
"Bonnie" wrote:

I have two freeze proof faucets outside. This past weekend I hooked up the
hoses (which I removed over the winter). Both faucets are leaking from
underneath the plastic cap, ONLY when I turn the water on. Can I pop off
the
cap to see what is going on under there? Is there a washer that needs to
be
replaced? Can I do this myself or do I need to hire a plumber? I Googled
freeze proof faucets but couldn't find anything about repairing a leak.

I have 2. One only has a minor leak. the other leaks a lot from under the
cap but also a little from around a "seam" that is between the cap and the
knob you turn to turn the water on. Again, it only leaks when the water is
turned on

Bonnie.

I have one of these faucets that is doing this. I believe that the
plastic cap is a "blow off" in the case that you leave a hose connected
to the faucet when it freezes and the line can't get cleared. Even
though these are supposed to be freeze proof faucets, that only counts
if you disconnect the hose . . .
FWIW, I haven't tried rebuilding the one of mine that froze - I just
built a deck over it.

-K2