Default Where can I find wood burning furnace comparisons?

Looking to install a wood burning add-on furnace to my electric heat.
Really would like one with the maximum overnight lasting time, so that
it might still be hot coals in the morning or when I get home after
work, but I find it difficult to find these specs.

Anyone know of reports or such info. Couldn't find them on consumer
reports, though I am not familiar with that place very much.

Thanks for any help,

Dean

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking to install a wood burning add-on furnace to my electric heat.
Really would like one with the maximum overnight lasting time, so that
it might still be hot coals in the morning or when I get home after
work, but I find it difficult to find these specs.

Anyone know of reports or such info. Couldn't find them on consumer
reports, though I am not familiar with that place very much.

Thanks for any help,

Dean

This is Turtle

I don't know about the comparison of them but Ashley has a burn and reburn type
wood burning heater and they can go all nite burning on low and still be burning
in the morning and you just add some wood and go back to high burn. You can look
up UncleJoe.com and look at them but price are a little high by buyinmg off the
internet. You need to find them locally.

The Reburn type is what you want and just a regular wood burning heater will or
can be real cheap if you look.

TURTLE

Bob S.

TURTLE wrote:
This is Turtle

I don't know about the comparison of them but Ashley has a burn and

reburn type
wood burning heater and they can go all nite burning on low and still

be burning
in the morning and you just add some wood and go back to high burn.

You can look
up UncleJoe.com and look at them but price are a little high by

buyinmg off the
internet. You need to find them locally.

The Reburn type is what you want and just a regular wood burning

heater will or
can be real cheap if you look.

TURTLE

Please define the term "reburn". When I "burn", there is nothing left
but ash and that won't "reburn". Obviously I'm missing something here.

Bob S.

TURTLE

"Bob S." wrote in message
ups.com...

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

Reburn is when you burn the piece of wood, then the vapors or smoke is burned
again before it leaves the stove. The wood will be burnt twice before it leaves
the stove. Also there will be no smoke come out the chimmey for everything is
burnt. I do know ashley has the reburn type heaters. Also you will use about 1/2
the wood you use with a Reburn type heater because you use everything and burn
it.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Reburn, would that be a Catalyst inside.

Reburn is when there is a secondary (usually pre-heated) air source
that is injected into the hot smoke vapors to cause that unburnt stuff
to ignite and burn. Nearly half the energy value in wood is in that
unburnt smoke and vapor.

Thanks for the help! If anyone knows for absolute sure that their own
wood furnace does still last till the morning, please mention the brand
name and model here.

THX,

Dean

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
Reburn is when there is a secondary (usually pre-heated) air source
that is injected into the hot smoke vapors to cause that unburnt stuff
to ignite and burn. Nearly half the energy value in wood is in that
unburnt smoke and vapor.

Thanks for the help! If anyone knows for absolute sure that their own
wood furnace does still last till the morning, please mention the brand
name and model here.

THX,

Dean

This is Turtle.

I don't have one but my friend has a camp on a lake near here that has a
APS-2000 Ashley brand heater. It does have the reburn on it and we go to bed at
10:00 PM and rise at 6:00 AM to go fishing and it is still burning on reburn
mode. All we do is put a few more limbs on it and it fires back up and no
relighting it. I know it will go 8 hours without having to put wood on it and
still be burning at 70% or better.

They have other brands out there and do the same thing. The reason I speak of
this is the ashley is the only one i've been exposed to and see it work.

TURTLE

MC

Actually, I have seen at my local tractor supply a wood burning furnace that
you duct into an existing system to suplliment heat in the winter, not a
free standing wood burning heater/stove as is most common.

I was actually thinking of installing one of these units on my house. I live
in a heavy wooded area and own more land (farm) a few miles away. I am
having to beg people to take wood, at least I would have a use for it and
save on the heat bill.

MC

"Bob S." wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Looking to install a wood burning add-on furnace to my electric heat.
Really would like one with the maximum overnight lasting time, so

that
it might still be hot coals in the morning or when I get home after
work, but I find it difficult to find these specs.

Anyone know of reports or such info. Couldn't find them on consumer
reports, though I am not familiar with that place very much.

Thanks for any help,

Dean

Do you really mean "furnace"? A wood heater is more practical, though a
bit messy. I have a Vermont Casting wood heater that will burn a
10"x20" hardwood log for 8-9 hours.

Bob

I R Baboon

its not in the brand of the wood burner, its the wood and how you use it.
throw a few pieces of hardwood in there tightly stacked, and it will burn
all night. embers will last much longer. usually till i get home from work.
"TURTLE" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Bob - how long does it burn for in your experience? The web site is
saying up to 18 hours!

I realize it depends on the wood, which is why I have a bunch of cut
wood seasoning right now in the sun for next winter!

Just wonder how many cords I will get through to avoid the electric
bills!

Also, do you leave it on in the day when you go to work, or just let it
burn out and relight it when you get home?

THX

Dean

Ok well I'm in NJ where its bloody cold all winter, and I have a large
house, so I might go for the larger one. They do seem to be on the
expensive side in comparison to other brands.

So, tell me, supposing you had 12" logs, cut to the right length, do
you end up splitting them to make the dry faster and load easier, or do
you just throw them in whole (I guess I'm asking if its really heavy to
lift in that way).

Dean

FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 017 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 August 16th 04 02:27 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 016 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 August 3rd 04 09:11 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 011 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 3rd 04 06:48 AM