Robert11

Default Heat Controller Co. (Comfort Aire) For Gas, Hot Air Furnace ? Who Are They ?

Hello:

Have been doing a lot of research on gas, forced hot air furnaces, as I have
to replace the existing one in a 30 year old 3 bedroom tri-level (split)
outside of Boston.

Have, with the great help of so many folks on this group, pretty much
settled on either Trane or American Standard. Thanks again all, for such
excellent information, and educating me on all of this; really appreciate
everyone's time.

But, saw on the gas supplier's website (Bay State Gas) that they also do
installations.

So I called them, and yes, they have their own certified technicians, and
own warranty, and it all
sounds pretty good.

But the only brand furnace they install is from some outfit called Heat
Controller who has
models called Comfort Aire.

Found their web site, but doesn't really say too much.

Never, ever, heard of them.

Who are they ?

"Quality" product ?

Worth considering ? Why ?

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Scott McDaniel

I'd be much more concerned with the quality of their installers than what
equipment they were installing. Ask them if they subcontract installations,
or if all work is done "in house". I don't have any problems with subs, but
with many large utilities, they're required to use the lowest bidder for
things like this ... and the lowest bidder for HVAC installs is NOT the one
you want to take!! Ask them to see photos of jobs, talk with some people,
see if you can find someone who had them install a system, go look at it ...
etc etc

I'd suspect the reason they only install Comfort Aire is that they have some
sort of deal worked out with Heat Controller ... again, not something I'd be
crazy about, as I'd rather my HVAC contractor be more concerned with the
quality of the unit they're recommending rather than what type of incentives
they can milk out of the supplier ...

However, if you were to have the SAME contractor give you the choice between
Trane/American Standard and Comfort Aire ... then go with the Trane/American
Standard.

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

If you have settled on an installer that you trust, the brand of equipment
he sells isnt so much the point. The install, means all.

Now, about your company in question.
They have been around forever it seems, and I have installed a few of their
oil units. They are much better than say, a Goodman, and compares in overall
quality to any of the big 4 makes. (York, Carrier, Trane, Lennox)
They are owned by Century. Bought by them in 1975, and the Heat Controller
name, thats been there since 1907.

Your last question..worth considering, and why, was answered above. If the
company that is installing them is one you trust, the install will only add
to the value of the equipment.

stretch

Steve,

I agree only partly. Heat Controller is a solid unit/brand, better
than Goodman. No frills. Kind of like a Suturn/Chevy. Lennox and
Trane and York are like a Cadilac. Carrier - in between I think, but
getting better again. Carrier had quality problems for a while, but
improving. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. Climate and salt air tough on
everything here. I use Heat Controller dehumidifiers and have had no
problems with them. But I'd rather have a Lennox. That is what I have
now, 16 year old Lennox Heat Pump. When I get a new one, it will be a
Lennox again. Reliable, efficient, quiet, easy to service, resistant
to salt air corrosion.

Stretch

"stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve,

I agree only partly. Heat Controller is a solid unit/brand, better
than Goodman. No frills. Kind of like a Suturn/Chevy. Lennox and
Trane and York are like a Cadilac. Carrier - in between I think, but
getting better again. Carrier had quality problems for a while, but
improving. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. Climate and salt air tough on
everything here. I use Heat Controller dehumidifiers and have had no
problems with them. But I'd rather have a Lennox. That is what I have
now, 16 year old Lennox Heat Pump. When I get a new one, it will be a
Lennox again. Reliable, efficient, quiet, easy to service, resistant
to salt air corrosion.

Stretch

I don't want to get into a ****ing match with you, but you really prefer
Lennox?
if you don't mind my asking, why? My experience with them has been that the
boards in them suck. Particularly on the 90% gas fired units...there seems
to be one resistor that loves to explode on the board and puts a nice little
hole in the middle taking out half the printed board....

Also, since you are at the Grand Strand..(we are licensed to do work in
SC..most of its in York county ironically enough) I have a company that you
should look into for coil coatings for total corrosion resistance. Also..I
have to find the link, but there is an independent company that tests the
big 4 units for corrosion resistance in Wilmington, and as I recall, York,
and Lennox survive that environment well. Carrier and Trane failed quickly
due to the coil design. I only offer the Tranes now simply due to consumer
demand and the ability to get a break on the parts....talk about proprietary
hell...lol